Tekken 1-5

Knights of the Old Republic

Castle Crashers

Darksiders 1-2

The Witcher 2

Limbo

Transistor

Borderlands 1-2

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. I think it tends to happen so much to me because of the sheer number of games I've played, and because for the most part, graphics don't really matter to me. So I can always see through that shiny coat of paint, down to the mediocre and predictable gameplay.

• Like 1

It happens to me a lot.

GTA (all of them)

Ni No Kuni

Mortal Kombat

Injustice

Spec Ops: The Line

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Tales of Xillia

Fallout 3

Skyrim

Mirror's Edge

Shadow of the Colossus

Uncharted

God of War III

Sly 2

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Toe Jam and Earl

Enslaved

Heavenly Sword

"DmC"

Sleeping Dogs

Just Cause 2

Tekken 1-5

Knights of the Old Republic

Castle Crashers

Darksiders 1-2

The Witcher 2

Limbo

Transistor

Borderlands 1-2

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. I think it tends to happen so much to me because of the sheer number of games I've played, and because for the most part, graphics don't really matter to me. So I can always see through that shiny coat of paint, down to the mediocre and predictable gameplay.

It'd probably be a shorter list if you went through the games you actually did like!

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1

Just curious: Which games do you actually like?

It'd probably be a shorter list if you went through the games you actually did like!

I've played thousands of games. If I were to list all of the games I did like, it would be a lot longer.

This is also a thread for games that other people like, that I didn't. I tend to not like popular games, because they're generally very formulaic. Which makes them feel boring and repetitive to me.

Edited by ExHaseo

Diablo III... Maybe I just got old between II and III, but I bought it at launch, battled the server bullcrap, and when I finally got to play it regularly, I got no satisfaction out of it. It sits on my shelf because it's permanently bound to my battle.net account, so I can't even sell it or give it away.

God of War (I only played the first one)... I beat it, but I never went for the sequels or replayed the first because I just didn't feel into it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I hated it, but Ni No Kuni was very overrated imo, I'd go back to play my old Pokemon games for GB/GBA before I played that again (I would like to get the Platinum for it though, that way I'd just go ahead & trade it in).

I feel so sorry for you people who hate "The Last of Us". :D  I've been through a lot of bad experiences in my life, but I'm glad I was born, because I had the chance to play this superb game. When you play "The Last of Us", you understand everything there is to understand in life, everything just gets so clear...  :wub: (Sorry, I know I'm off-topic, but I just couldn't help it lol)

• Like 2

This is the thread i've been waiting for.

I hate Darksiders 2 with a passion.

I did like the first Darksiders, it wasn't a masterpiece by any means but the gameplay was fun enough to keep me engaged throughout the entire thing. Naturally, i was looking forward to playing Darksiders 2, but never have i been so disappointed with a game as with this one. The story is horribly boring. You set out to prove your brothers innocence so you go to a dude who's like "yeah alright i'll help but you you gotta get me these three things" so you go to find the first of the three things and you meet another guy and he's like "yeah man i can help you get that thing but first you gotta get me these three things aight" and the whole process just repeats throughout the entirety of the game. The dungeons feel absolutely tedious, the puzzles usually boil down to finding an object that was hidden in the environment rather than actually solving puzzles and the whole game just feels like it was spread waaayyyy to thin. Your goal never ever changes throughout the entirety of the game so you spend 20 hours collecting 3 pieces of whatever and you don't even feel like you accomplished anything in the process. 

Destiny. I gave it a try on an alternate account and it's boring as fuck.

Most people didn't actually like Destiny though.

Edited by HappyKastanie
  • Like 1

The Last of Us

Uncharted 2 (1 and 3 were alright though, and Golden Abyss was great)

GTA V

Kingdom Hearts 2 (while certainly not bad it is nowhere near as good as 1 or Re: CoM imo)

Okami HD (although I may not have given this much of a chance. The combat just felt really repetitive.)

Puppeteer

Shadow of the Colossus (not bad, but Ico was far superior. I haven't even finished SotC because I just can't get into it.)

Sonic Generations (Way too automated. Give me Unleashed over Generations any day)

I completely respect your opinion, but I fail to see how games like MGS 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Mirror's Edge are formulaic or generic, particularly when you consider the gaming environment at the time of their release. 

Just because they're popular doesn't always mean that is devoid of creativity or a spark of ingenuity; sometimes things are justifiably popular. Again, I respect your opinion, but I disagree. 

I never said that every popular game was like that, and that's certainly don't believe that they are. That's why I said generally, meaning not all of the time. 

Every GTA is formulaic. Every game like it is formulaic. They're all just, do mission, follow marker to next mission, repeat same few activities until you beat the game.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most formulaic games ever. You literally just go from boss to boss the entire game, with no variation. Game is like this, climb onto boss and stab shiny spot, follow the sword to the next boss, repeat until you beat the game. The bosses are different, but the progression is the same.

Mirror's Edge isn't, I just thought it was a terrible and broken game. When you can't consistently do things like grab on to edges, in a platformer, then there's something seriously wrong.

MGS3 wasn't really either, I just didn't like the game. It felt like the other Metal Gear games, but with characters I didn't care about. Since the story is really the main reason to play MGS, and it felt pointless to me, I didn't like it.

Anyway, this thread isn't supposed to be for this, so I'm going to stop posting. This is obviously my opinion, no one has to agree with it, but it's not going to change. My own experience will always trump someone else's argument on the subject.

• Like 1

I never said that every popular game was like that, and that's certainly don't believe that they are. That's why I said generally, meaning not all of the time. 

Every GTA is formulaic. Every game like it is formulaic. They're all just, do mission, follow marker to next mission, repeat same few activities until you beat the game.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most formulaic games ever. You literally just go from boss to boss the entire game, with no variation. Game is like this, climb onto boss and stab shiny spot, follow the sword to the next boss, repeat until you beat the game. The bosses are different, but the progression is the same.

Mirror's Edge isn't, I just thought it was a terrible and broken game. When you can't consistently do things like grab on to edges, in a platformer, then there's something seriously wrong.

MGS3 wasn't really either, I just didn't like the game. It felt like the other Metal Gear games, but with characters I didn't care about. Since the story is really the main reason to play MGS, and it felt pointless to me, I didn't like it.

Anyway, this thread isn't supposed to be for this, so I'm going to stop posting. This is obviously my opinion, no one has to agree with it, but it's not going to change. My own experience will always trump someone else's argument on the subject.

Well, that's always a healthy perspective to take into a conversation. I see no reason to even discuss anything with someone who makes a conscious decision to block out any possibility of changing their mind or even entertaining another person's perspective. I'm attacking your opinion, I just want to explain it without merely saying something is "formulaic". 

The points I'd put across would be that Grand Theft Auto 3 was ground-breaking at the time of release and created a new formula all to itself; saying anything other is just ridiculous, even if you didn't like or enjoy the game. And not to be cheeky, but just because you're shite at Mirror's Edge doesn't mean it was broken or terrible. As for 

Anyway, off the top of my head the games I didn't particularly enjoy that are supposedly enjoyed by many would be:

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Gone Home

• Like 4

You do realize that by criticizing GTA for that you're saying an entire genre sucks? and that you're boiling down those games to the bare essentials ignoring the nuances that's in them. 

Well, that's always a healthy perspective to take into a conversation. I see no reason to even discuss anything with someone who makes a conscious decision to block out any possibility of changing their mind or even entertaining another person's perspective. I'm attacking your opinion, I just want to explain it without merely saying something is "formulaic". 

The points I'd put across would be that Grand Theft Auto 3 was ground-breaking at the time of release and created a new formula all to itself; saying anything other is just ridiculous, even if you didn't like or enjoy the game. And not to be cheeky, but just because you're shite at Mirror's Edge doesn't mean it was broken or terrible. As for 

Anyway, off the top of my head the games I didn't particularly enjoy that are supposedly enjoyed by many would be:

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Gone Home

Why didn't you like The Line? if its gameplay I understand, its not the best, but the way they interwined it with the plot was amazing.

• Like 1