Games you disliked that everyone else likes

OnePieceDude

Skyrim. I didn't hate it (I've played through it like three times now), but it's not a good game IMO. It's fun, it's a huge time sink, and it has a lot of potential that is made better by the mod community, but the game itself is lacking in the very thing that it sets out to be. It's not deep. On the surface, it provides a lot of options to the player, but those options are just about as shallow as can be. You want to be a hunter? Great, go out and kill some deer. You can't set up a camp or use tracking skills (consider how Far Cry Primal handled this), and there's no real purpose, but the option is there. You want to cook food? Great, find a cooking pot. You're limited on what you can make, you know all the recipes right away, and the food only heals you for about 1 HP, but the option is there. You want to explore a dungeon for treasure? Great, take your pick between the bandit cave, the goblin cave, or the robot cave. You can find the same kinds of treasures in all of them, so there's no real purpose, but the option... it's there... I guess. And don't even get me started on the voice acting. Yes, it sounds good at first, but then you start hearing the same voices coming out of different characters and they keep repeating the same lines over and over again. Imagine if in Pokemon, every random NPC ran up to you and started saying their catch phrase, and all at the same time. It's grating on my ears. The most enjoyment I ever got out of Skyrim was when I started killing off every villager I came across. The game is SO much better when you're alone.

Compare that to a good game, like Dark Souls, where the story isn't shoved down your throat through a series of text boxes. Think of how you feel when you kill an NPC in that game. You're not doing it because they annoy you. You're doing it because you want revenge on Patches, or because you're being forced to, and it fills you with regret. I can think of several NPCs in the series that I felt terrible about attacking or betraying, but never once did I feel any sort of remorse in Skyrim. That is not good storytelling in my opinion, and I feel the game should be called out for it.

And now I will be viciously attacked.

• Like 4

One game that I don't ultimately dislike, but haven't grown as fond of as everyone has is Final Fantasy VII. I'm constantly told it's the best game ever, but despite starting the game up so many times, I still have never finished it. VIII is my entrance into the series, which a lot of people seem to dislike, and I can see why, but it's something I actually preferred to 7. I've played a good few of the series - ranging from Final Fantasy I to XV. The only games I've never really played are II and XI. I've played a good few hours of the other games in the series, although I've only ever finished VIII, IX and X. 

Dark Souls 3

I have been a complete fanatic of the Souls series ever since the release of Demon Souls but I can't find any trace of amusement in its latest installment. Many fans consider Ds2 to be the weakest of the bunch, and I agree that it's worse than all other games in the series, but I still liked it. I absolutely LOATHE Ds3 though. It removed certain aspects I liked about the past games (like how the past games pushed you to switch strategies and gear all the time), it was too short, too easy(spamming the rolling button makes you completely invincible) and the enemies and locations were even blander than in Ds2. Even playing it online with friends can't salvage it for me.

• Like 1

I don't know if dislike is the right word, but Dragon Age: Origins, I was rather massively disappointed with and thought was pretty average and had way too many issues. I bought collector's edition and everything, got two copies of the game and a couple of copies of some of the DLCs... People hype this game, but I never liked it that much.

I really didn't care for Bayonetta. I picked it up because it got great reviews and people seemed to find it really fun. I just didn't. I couldn't really grasp the concepts like the with time mechanics and which weapons to use. And most of the bosses were just overly massive. I found their size frustrating because i couldn't tell from where they would attack me, they simply wouldn't fit on my tv screen. Ohh, and then there are the facts that the loading screens took ages and that the story was utter nonsense. 

Let's see...

- The Evil Within: I found it quite frustrating and barely enjoyable, even though I liked some of the atmosphere and enemy designs and design ideas. May have been because I played without upgrades, but it was an unpleasant experience in the end. Which was especially disappointing since I had hoped the game to be the second coming of Christ of horror games, because that trailer was just fucking awesome. 

- Steins;Gate 0: I don't know, it never captivated me as much as the first game & series. Maybe it was the relative absence of Kurisu, or maybe it was something else, but I didn't really enjoy myself playing (reading) through it. 

- Bloodborne: This one is tough for me to express. I love EVERYTHING about this game. Except the actual gameplay (or, more specifically, combat). I love the narrative design, enemy design, level design, sound design, lore, atmosphere, art style and the "theoretic framework" of the combat. But by God, did I hate actually fighting things in this game. It felt unresponsive to me, and where in every other Souls game, I felt everything was tough but fair and every death felt like my fault, I continuously felt cheated during BB, and I mostly just wished that they'd used the Souls mechanics and just transposed those into this wonderful game world. The long load times and having to farm blood vials fueled my hatred for playing even further. In the end, I can appreciate that Bloodborne did many things great, and is theoretically a near-masterpiece, but I cannot "love" a game that I plain did not enjoy.  

But most of all:

The Saints Row games. Everything just bothers me about this. I find the jokes unfunny (trying too hard), and all the voice actors sounded like screeches to my ears. Aside from that, the combat and open worlds are completely unrefined. There's lots to do, sure, but almost none of it is fun to me. I appreciate some cool ideas here and there, such as the dildo sword and the inspired Dubstep Gun, but overall I feel the game lacks the quality to make it enjoyable, and the soul to make it something special anyway. 

Every popular sports game minus some Motorsports.
Batman/Spiderman games.

The Last of Us... This was only fun to watch a friend play, but I'd never play it myself.

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Life Is Strange

Mortal Combat... Though any popular fighter can go here.
Call of Duty... Though again, any popular game of that type can go here. i.e. Battlefield etc.

Not sure if these are as popular, but I'm going to list them anyway:

Until Dawn
Silent Hill
Animal Crossing
Overwatch
Rocket League

Flower.

I'm not sure what this says about me as a person, but I find this game very stressful. The controls aren't intutive (or I just don't understand them) and I often get on a good flower streak just go accidently miss one and have to stumble in circles to go back to it. I've tried it on every system and dislikes it on each one. It's a shame too because I love flowers and would have enjoyed this much more if the petal did what I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Final Fantasy VII. I felt the game has too many loose ends and unrelated irrelevant articles that take away from the narrative it's trying to sell. Cherished by many though I do agree it has a good balance between story and comic-relief moments.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I tend to enjoy explorative games but the world despite having 'stuff' in it felt depressingly empty to me and the light rpgs elements didn't help either. Maybe I just didn't like the setting but it felt like a chore to play.

Pokemon Gen 4+. Maybe I grew out of it but I feel like the franchise is becoming a parody of itself in a way and perhaps should maybe consider laying the franchise to rest. (But that'll never happen because it's a cash cow so it'll be run into the ground eventually)

Super Mario Bros. 3. It might be because I played the original > Bros. 2 > World > Lost levels. Might be due to the style but it rubbed me wrong. A guilty pleasure of mine though are  Super Mario World hacks.

It's not exactly dislike..but now that I'm 65 hrs into this game, I've conceded I don't like Tales of Berseria as much as I wanted to. The writing is good, combat ok, but the level designs, quests and non-combat mechanics and features is...it's draining. Makes the game boring. A recycled Frankenstein with parts from PS3 titles.

They need to up their game budget and development tools otherwise this is the last Tales game to be purchased by me. :(

I love FFI - XIII, but I hate FFXV. Not sure if a lot of people like it or not, but I can't stand it!!

Life is Strange, Resident Evil 4, DMC 4, Outlast 1 & 2  and Burial at Sea are games or DLC that I also strongly dislike. 

Edited by Firefoxie

The Witcher 3 ... I can see why people like it, but it just isn't for me. I've tried to start it over on a few different occasions but it just felt very cookie cutter to me. Open world medieval and magic RPG's feel like a dime a dozen, and while the third entry into The Witcher franchise is likely the best of the bunch... I can only take so much of dueling rats and helping cockney shopkeeps get their stolen bread back. I find present and future settings/plots far more interesting and relatable.

Doesn't help I originally played the game on Death March for the trophies, which turned out to be such a frustrating experience I lost all interest in ever turning the game back on. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 8/20/2017 at 1:27 AM, TheJadedJay said:

Every popular sports game minus some Motorsports.
Batman/Spiderman games.

The Last of Us... This was only fun to watch a friend play, but I'd never play it myself.

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Life Is Strange

Mortal Combat... Though any popular fighter can go here.
Call of Duty... Though again, any popular game of that type can go here. i.e. Battlefield etc.

Not sure if these are as popular, but I'm going to list them anyway:

Until Dawn
Silent Hill
Animal Crossing
Overwatch
Rocket League

Which Silent hill? some are far better than others

On topic: I really dont like Bioshock Infinite

Edited by Stargazer2600
  • Like 1

Skyrim: I don't know, at the start it felt really cool. I dove into it and had my counter at 70 hours pretty fast without getting around to much. But after these "first" hours everything felt just super repetitive, every cave looked the same, everything I had to do felt the same, the dragons were annoying and the storytelling of main and sidestories were boring and just meh. Then there was this terrible, terrible german voice acting. Normally I play every game in their original language, but for whatever reason Bethesda decided that german PS3 digital copies can only be played in...tadaaa... german.... yeah. Don't know if english was a lot better but it definetely cannot be worse. And I am still sad and angry that there was not one good looking, handsome guy for me to marry :D

The Last of Us: It's not that I dislike the game, but I never got the hype of it. The story was nice, okay. But the overall gameplay was not that catchy for me. I don't get people who really had fun playing through it a bunch of times. I just did what I had to do for Platinum, otherwise I would have never played it a second time. I kind of liked the MP part though and that's not often.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Minecraft

Until Dawn

Darksiders

ICO

Õkami

Tearaway

LittleBigPlanet series

Resident Evil

Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Far Cry series

Yakuza 4

Beyond: Two Souls

Any Mario RPG - except for the SNES title Legend Of The Seven Stars, which I loved

Super Mario Sunshine

Crash Bandicoot series

Halo series

I could go on for a while.

Also, I don't dislike Uncharted 1-3 and The Last Of Us enough to say I dislike them but I thought they were WAAAAY too bland to deserve all the accolades they got.

The Evil Within 2

Couldn't disagree more about it being better than the first one, which is what I've seen people saying.  I get it appeals to the "open world" crowd that insist games have at least 10 hours of added aimless wandering (ahem, "exploring") so they feel like they got more "bang for their buck"... but that was a game that absolutely didn't need the predictable and generic open world-isms.  In the process sucking out anything that made the first game even remotely unique or interesting.  The first game had sort of an eerie charm in how it left the story vague, and left both you (the player) and Sebastian in the dark about everything... in trying to expand the story and characters, it turned all of it into a walking cliche.  Not to mention even the standard enemies were downright grotesque in the first game, all distorted by barbed wire... whereas the second game they may have just taken a zombie skin from just about any other game ever made and gave them glowy eyes... oOooOoOOOo, scary.

Dropping the match lighting mechanic was also a terrible decision, basically turning the game into a particularly clunky, generic zombie shooter.

Edited by Dreakon13