[Spoilers] Did anyone else think the ending sucked?

I mean, it just made no sense. First of all, why the zombies? Why did nazis start bursting into flames? And why didn't it affect B.J? Also, there was no mention of zombies in The New Order so in terms of the game being a prequel it was massively inconsistent. It felt to me as if the devs had just given up and added zombies because "duh, zombies", especially since they just stop existing at the end and it just goes back to being your average WWII air force situation. Anybody else feel this way? None of the reviews I've read have seemed to mention it.

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly, the zombies didn't make any sense.

I was expecting a better game, until chapter 5 you basically have a survival game, with a thousand of round of enemies.

Will play New Order someday to see if it's better than this.

The New Order is worth a shot if you find it cheap one day. I had it on the ps3 when it first came out but I think the ps4 version is a lot better so go for that one if you have the option :) It's a shame this game isn't the best but I suppose I'd be more disappointed if it was a full price release. At least they had the decency to sell it for what it's worth rather than trying to pretend it's worth £45 

You're over thinking it, Wolfenstein is all about the gameplay...

I suppose the older games were (I picked up Wolfenstein 3D on steam sale the other day and it's great) but they have tried to add more story to the newer games so it's not completely about the gameplay anymore. I do love the way the guns feel fat and heavy, and I love other gameplay elements too (the perk system for example), I just wish the story made a little more sense at the end. Having said that, I do like the challenge maps as they are pure gameplay without some sort of story so they are very enjoyable :)

because nazi using ancient jew technology to build a 100 meter high robot makes more sense?

maxresdefault.jpg

yeah, looks legit.

For your information, Wolfenstein was one of the first FPS to bring zombies, in return to castle wolfenstein (back in 2001...). Zombies are a thing in wolfenstein, get over it. Plus, if you had read the notes that you can find in the game, you would have understood why it doesnt affect BJ. Basically,

- the nazis are looking for the ancient creature

- opening the tomb release some sort of gas

- when you breath that gas, you'll turn into zombies.. When you die (you can verify this in the last level: the ennemies don't turn into zombies before they are killed)

I don't remember BJ dying (and when you die, of course you don't see yourself become a zombie).

Yeah, it is a cheap explanation. But then again, if you really care about a good scenario, you got the wrong game. Wolfenstein is all about fun killing hords of ennemies, mech nazis or robot dog...

Edited by lesk8vaincra

Zombies are a thing in wolfenstein, get over it.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be in the game, but they just made the story massively inconsistent which bugged me. Like I said, I picked up some early wolfenstein games and I like them (haven't played RTCW yet in all honesty) but the zombies just didn't make sense especially since it was a prequel to The New Order. If they wanted to stick zombies in somewhere, it should have been in a separate mode like in COD zombies, not in the middle of a story which didn't call for it.

- when you breath that gas, you'll turn into zombies.. When you die. I don't remember BJ dying (and when you die, of course you don't see yourself become a zombie).

I thought I remembered a guy who randomly burst into flames but I may be wrong about that. Fair enough though if it does only happen when people die. 

Yeah, it is a cheap explanation. But then again, if you really care about a good scenario, you got the wrong game. Wolfenstein is all about fun killing hords of ennemies, mech nazis or robot dog...

Which is why I like the challenge maps. Not only are they challenging, they are a lot of fun. I'm not asking for a new The Last Of Us but I at least like stories to make sense or not be there at all. Thanks for the explanation anyway, I just think zombies were uncalled for and ruined it a little for me. At least it wasn't a full price release like I said earlier though so I suppose that's something to be happy about. 

• Like 1

I suppose the older games were (I picked up Wolfenstein 3D on steam sale the other day and it's great) but they have tried to add more story to the newer games so it's not completely about the gameplay anymore. I do love the way the guns feel fat and heavy, and I love other gameplay elements too (the perk system for example), I just wish the story made a little more sense at the end. Having said that, I do like the challenge maps as they are pure gameplay without some sort of story so they are very enjoyable :)

Ok, yeah, MachineGames did give us a story (as did the 09 effort), but the core of the game is and will always be an arcade shooter.   Are we really going to give it the lumpy custard criticism when we have a story involving a mad science, alternate reality WWII shooter, with  Nazi mechs and giant robot dogs...and a hero with an indestructible noggin who cracks one liners periodically?   The stories were just good popcorn, nicely done at times and pretty funny too...I wouldn't be looking too closely at continuity and plot devices and the ilk.

I've the Plat for both 'new' instalments and I had great fun playing them, but never once did I over think the narrative...

If you want a laugh, watch the The New Order Game Sins and realise how over-the-top a lot of the story actually is, never mind any zombie continuity.   

The stories were just good popcorn, nicely done at times and pretty funny too...I wouldn't be looking too closely at continuity and plot devices and the ilk.

I suppose I could take off my criticism hat and just relax with some zombies, but as someone who has watched wayyy too much Game Sins myself I find that hard to do :P I don't mind a wacky story but I just feel that devs are pushing zombies into everything even though they are massively overused and not really interesting anymore. I mean, the part where BJ gets hit in the face by a cable car and doesn't seem bothered about it just made me laugh, but zombies are getting quite irritating and cheap-feeling now.  

I suppose I could take off my criticism hat and just relax with some zombies, but as someone who has watched wayyy too much Game Sins myself I find that hard to do :P I don't mind a wacky story but I just feel that devs are pushing zombies into everything even though they are massively overused and not really interesting anymore. I mean, the part where BJ gets hit in the face by a cable car and doesn't seem bothered about it just made me laugh, but zombies are getting quite irritating and cheap-feeling now.  

Yeah, zombie overkill is a fair point, but it's not new to Wolfenstein and to be fair, was kinda fun getting to head shot a Nazi...twice!  :)   It was probably more homage to the franchise than a lack of imagination, and in a game that was more of an expansion than a full fledged campaign, although I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of content for a £15 release.

I wouldn't let it spoil your enjoyment of the games, they remind me of Shadow Warrior, another arcade shooter (come hack'n'slasher) with 'wacky' story and general kill everything that moves fun.   It seems like there'll be a Wolfenstein 2, which is great if it happens, and maybe there will be Nazi mech zombies or other mad monstrosities...but as long as it's a fun game to play then I'm fine with that.   Wonder if they'll call it Wolfenstein:  Surviving Massive Head Trauma, or Stuff That Falls On Your Head: The Game!  :D

• Like 1

These two games are among my favorite shooters of this gen. The ending was ok. Given it's a prequel I guess I didn't expect much. I almost think The Old Blood started as a 2 part dlc. I think the only thing I didn't like was the majority of the cutscenes being in FPV.

Once I finish the last 2 challenges I'm thinking I'll do a playthrough of each game in succession.

I kind of wish Machinegames make a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the PS3 Wolfenstein games using the same gameplay.

Ok, yeah, MachineGames did give us a story (as did the 09 effort), but the core of the game is and will always be an arcade shooter. Are we really going to give it the lumpy custard criticism when we have a story involving a mad science, alternate reality WWII shooter, with Nazi mechs and giant robot dogs...and a hero with an indestructible noggin who cracks one liners periodically? The stories were just good popcorn, nicely done at times and pretty funny too...I wouldn't be looking too closely at continuity and plot devices and the ilk.

I've the Plat for both 'new' instalments and I had great fun playing them, but never once did I over think the narrative...

If you want a laugh, watch the The New Order Game Sins and realise how over-the-top a lot of the story actually is, never mind any zombie continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DaCtbpKIo

That was AWESOME, thanks for sharing

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The story was NEVER the main selling point. Even going back as far as the early 1990s, Wolfenstein 3D was all about the shooting and killing of Nazis. Heck there were those green mutants with a gun attached to their stomach whose gunshots did a lot more damage than the standard weak light brown colored Nazis could do with their pistols. Doom which came out a year and a half later was all about the gameplay and the shooting. The storyline was never id Software's selling point.

A good storyline from that time period would be Ultima Underworld, any Final Fantasy game or JRPG which focused first and foremost on it.

If Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and The New Order already seemed wacky and inconsistent, that's because the franchise has been that way since the beginning.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...