Console Wars: Ubisoft makes 27% of its sales from PS4

StrickenBiged

Check out the press release from Ubisoft's 2015-2016 Q1 report. Specifically, skip to page 3.

Ubisoft makes 27% of its revenue from PS4 releases. That's huge, when you consider that Ubisoft includes last gen consoles, PC and mobile in arriving at those figures.

PS4 is currently making more than double the sales for Ubi compared with XBone, at 11%, which is tied with PS3 and X360 in terms of sales. Only PC comes close with 23%.

The table shows that the picture was even more stark in the same period last year, when PS4 accounted for 36% of Ubi's sales. I guess all those reports about people preferring to buy Watch_Dogs on PS4 over XBone were correct. 

If this is what Ubi is reporting, then the other big publishers may not vary so much. We already know that the PS4 is enjoying a massive lead over the other new-gen consoles, with market share in some regions being reported as high as 70%. 

Whether this news will affect anything is doubtful. But we may see Ubi cuddling up to Sony more if this trend continues. Just like Activision could tell what side its bread is buttered on when they signed the latest CoD timed exclusivity deals with Sony, breaking from Mircosoft after giving the same deal to them for years beforehand.

In other news, Ubi notes that they have suffered a 73.2% decline in sales compared to Q1 2014-2015, but blame this on the fact that they didn't have a release like Watch_Dogs in this year's Q1, which broke Ubi's sales records for a new IP at the time. However, they do report that they earned more in Q1 2015-2016 than they forecast due to unexpectedly high demand for AC: Unity and sustained interest in Far Cry 4, The Crew and Watch_Dogs.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

*snip*

Good news for Sony, it will strengthen their ties with Ubi. As a X1 owner this is good news for me, it means I have a chance of getting good exclusives for my console rather than multi-plat exclusive DLC BS (looking at you Destiny, Assassin and Batman). If Sony and Nintendo can not depend heavily on third party BS, why can't Microsoft?

I don't think Ubisoft will put all their eggs in one basket like Activision, it would be stupid in case of slow down or Sony not wanting to pay up plus they wouldn't want to cause bad relations with MS considering Windows 10 is on the horizon. 

Edited by 3DS Master Race

I don't think Ubisoft will put all their eggs in one basket like Activision, it would be stupid in case of slow down or Sony not wanting to pay up plus they wouldn't want to cause bad relations with MS considering Windows 10 is on the horizon. 

I don't think it's an "all in one basket" type of thing. The Activision deal is only timed exclusivity, and 11-17% of your revenue are not small amounts of money when your sales are c. 100 million. I wasn't trying to suggest that they were going to become 3rd party exclusives or anything. But if Sony came to them and said "We want timed exclusivity on DLC for [insert name of that MP medieval combat game they showed off at E3]", Ubi might think about it. 

It probably says more about Sony's marketing than anything else though. Sony's message that PS4 had the better specs and was the best place to play multi-platform titles seems to have gotten through to consumers. 

I don't think it's an "all in one basket" type of thing. The Activision deal is only timed exclusivity, and 11-17% of your revenue are not small amounts of money when your sales are c. 100 million. I wasn't trying to suggest that they were going to become 3rd party exclusives or anything. But if Sony came to them and said "We want timed exclusivity on DLC for [insert name of that MP medieval combat game they showed off at E3]", Ubi might think about it. 

It probably says more about Sony's marketing than anything else though. Sony's message that PS4 had the better specs and was the best place to play multi-platform titles seems to have gotten through to consumers. 

I agree to some extent but considering how Activision has acted to PC players with no Destiny or shoddy ports in the past, I don't think MS would want to continue with them (Probably one of the reasons they didn't team up 2015). I know you wasn't suggesting anything about 3rd party exclusives, Ubi have been doing it since the 7th generation with Assassins. 

That is... staggering. Definitely good news on the war-front, but I have to wonder how long something like this will last.

Probably as long as Sony enjoys such a significant lead with PS4. 

Sales rates seem to be swinging a little more to XBone at the moment - there were a few months in early 2015 when they were outselling PS4's if I recall correctly - but it may be too little too late. M$ is due to have a good Christmas this year, they have a decent looking line-up.

If PS4's lead, and the rate at which its lead grows, continues, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an XBox One v.2 released in a few years, probably with Hololens features, or the ability to stream PC games to the living room TV or something (the latter may be a software side update). 

And am I remembering correctly that the analysts don't think this generation will last 10 years, like the last did? I recall some analysts saying that they only expect PS4 and XBone to be the current-gen until 2018-2020 before the next gen is on the market, but I can't remember where I read that. M$ might jump first at this rate.

I agree to some extent but considering how Activision has acted to PC players with no Destiny or shoddy ports in the past, I don't think MS would want to continue with them (Probably one of the reasons they didn't team up 2015). I know you wasn't suggesting anything about 3rd party exclusives, Ubi have been doing it since the 7th generation with Assassins. 

I didn't even realise Destiny wasn't on PC. Wow... 

WOW PS4 is having a great time, 70%-90% of the european market belongs to PS4, in Japan PS4 was outselling XOne from the start and now 27% of Ubisoft's sales are from PS4 alone.

Man, poor XOne lol doesn't stand a chance, and considering how the PS4 will have games such as FF7 Remake, The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3 that nobody ever expected to see alive the PS4 will definitely dominate the console market worldwide, like what happened in the PS2 era.

PS3 is tied with Xbox juan at 11%,  they should be ahead since it's a next gen console

The only problem I have with Holo-lens is that you have a laptop wrapped around your head, wonder what kind of side effects will come with this device

Edited by Titan Balls

So this is the reason for the CoD shift, interesting. Only choice for MS now is to look somewhe lese for timed privileges, like they are doing with TR. If companies keep cometing for better deals and better games, that can only benefit us as gamers.

I know that console wars between fanboys and the like are completely pointless, yet if Microsoft wants to succeed this console generation, they need exclusives. BIG TIME. I'm not talking about retreads through familiar territory (i.e. Gears of War, Forza and Halo), I'm talking about new IP's. Sequels are all fine and dandy and can definitely boost sales, but people get tired of the same damn thing and want something different. I know that the Xbox is built around shooters and college frat boys, but they need something to really kick start them into overdrive. I don't believe it'll get to the standard of Grand Theft Auto or Destiny sales, but they need something. I don't care about the HoloLens, and that's going to be expensive as all hell. And yes, it's kind of the future, but people don't really want motion control. The Kinect and PlayStation Move showed us that. The Wii doesn't count as that's mainly a "family friendly Mario/Legend of Zelda/Metroid circle jerk". You can pick up a niche market of gamers if you have exclusive DLC that either is timed or stays exclusive, but that doesn't do much anyways. Their "All in One" idea didn't even work too well, as it turned out to be shit.

i-knew-it.jpg

Backwards compatibility is cool and all, but if you have the desire to play online, they'll probably use the same servers for those online games. Both Xbox One and Xbox 360 users will both play together, regardless of the console, so they're not going to make separate servers for it being playable on the One, and they're probably not going to make new servers anyways, because this is Microsoft and America we're talking about, people. Also, at least for me, there's no point to use backwards compatibility on my PS4 as I own a PS3, and there are literally three GameStop's, a Movie Trading Company, and Amazon all in my area. Seriously, some of the most creative stuff coming from Microsoft only is indie shit like Cuphead, which is great, but not everyone follows indie games, and they sometimes don't get any promotion in places where people normally see advertisement, normally for a AAA game of some sort. A lot of people these days don't go out of their way to research upcoming games, so hype can be lost for some games. They need something, ANYTHING, to win this console generation as a company (not hating on Sony), that's fresh, new, innovative, and mouthwatering that people will throw their money to it. They need those games, and they need them fast.

• Like 1

Xbox one is in a very bad situation, not only does the PS4 have an advantage in power but I'm seeing a lot of issues even with first party exclusives (the unstable framerate in the MCC or the exclusion of splitscreen in Halo 5)

Their hardware choices are hurting them imo, DDR3 is better for multitasking but hasn't been used in GPU's since 2009-2010 that's not good for a device that's supposed to be meant for games lol 

Hopefully Windows 10 and DX12 will close the gap between the two somehow.

On a side note, I'm rooting for PC since that's where I've chosen to invest everything for now.

I'm happy to see it getting more popular xD