What is Your Favorite Trilogy Series?

Jak

Gears of War

Disclaimer: I haven't played Judgment and I don't intend to.

The story was mezzo e mezzo for me, up until the third - where even though the handling of it was rote - I got a little bit choked up with the events of Dom.

Why this series has a place for me though, is the multiplayer.

I am definitely not one for competitive multiplayer - but once the series got out of the woods of rooms manually being setup and entered the world of matchmaking, I found my home as a beast on the battlefield.

Something about all the mechanics coming together that turned me into a king.

My favourite moments playing Guardian, when I was leader and rushing the opposing leader for the kill - or being the last man standing and fending off the onslaught of their leader and subsequent team to turn a lost cause around.

The memories I have of that game are amongst my favourite, and I'm watching the remaster with keen interest as to whether I will buy a Gears Box.  Especially if Splinter Cell: Conviction gets on the backwards compatibility list - but that's a different conversation.

Patapon

I was enraptured with this series of games, the depth of this series rivaled the Laurentian Abyss - and I made the fortunate mistake of discovering them when the third was announced.  My train journeys for the best part of a year was squeezing every last ounce of fun from one game, transferring the progress and continuing the process.

My kingdom for a compilation of this series on the Vita; the beauty of these games being that they stand the test of time as they're stylised as opposed to graphical powerhouses - not needing much effort to bring to a new era.  

Assassin's Creed: Ezio

I'm part Italian, so I immediately had a bias towards II - and the game shattered my expectations and blew its predecessor out of the water (a swimming reference).

At the time of the game's release, the ending was sent shivers down my spine and my excitement was at boiling point for the next.  When Brotherhood was announced, I was excited at the potential exploration of what a serious headspin Ezio must have been in after the conclusion of his first foray - but unfortunately they sort of skipped past it.

Brotherhood explored interesting concepts, and brought to us a fresh multiplayer experience.

Revelations I feel got too bad a press, and I loved the change of setting but familiar face - with plenty of experimentation with gameplay and story happening throughout.  The bombs had potential, the tower defence was a bit of a misstep and the discs of exposition were a bit of a desperate stretch to try and retcon Altair being a horrible character - but overall Revelations was very enjoyable too.

The promise of each new Assassin getting a trilogy was exciting as well, but they misstep once more and made another Assassin no one liked (not to mention the Templar we played as to begin with was awesome) and probably blew that plan out of the water.

I'm looking forward to Syndicate, to see if the English side of me outweighs the Italian and becomes my new favoured Assassin game

Edited by LastPisTolman

Thought of a few more that are in the running after KH, Uncharted, and Kenway Saga.

Modern Warfare series. In order I remember liking them as 2>1>3.

Technically they don't count since there is a 4th game but these 3 were on PS2 first. Prince of Persia trilogy. Warrior Within was one of my favorites back in my ps2 days.

I haven't played the 3rd game yet...but I really enjoyed the first game and although didn't like the 2nd game as much it had better gameplay. And those games are the Dragon Age titles. When I play Inquisition (if I ever do) this will be a more solid consideration.

Within the Assassin's Creed games there is the Ezio Trilogy and the Kenway Saga. If these count as trilogies then I'm going to have to go with the Kenway Saga.

If they don't count? Congrats you got me stumped. 

As long as it was established that there was a trilogy within this multi-installments series, it'll count. There's several series out there that did a trilogy story and made more games after that. While some do references to the past games and some may also be canon, if it's not that "certain kind of continuation" then it doesn't count. Examples: Jak X: Combat Racing is the sequel to Jak 3 and is canon (even though it's a spinoff) to the trilogy, but it doesn't break the trilogy status of the Jak trilogy, because it has a different story. So it's a continuation, sequel, and the 4th installment in the Jak universe and is canon, but it does not break the status of the existent Jak trilogy. 

Spyro the Dragon has had 2 trilogies right? The "Dragon" and "Legend" series respectively. He's had an immense amount of games in-between, but like the above, they're not part of the other trilogies, just separate continuations and/or sequels

Now this also of course means that not every game ending with a 3 makes the series it stands for a trilogy, and not any game series' first 3 games make it a trilogy.

Dead Space 

Awesome. Not only do I love seeing other trilogies of mine that I love get mentioned, but especially ones that aren't mentioned a lot at all in general.

resistance, the third wasnt that good but hey its hard to succed three times 

also mass effect

i dont know if the 3 first resident evil's count

Same as above. (I still enjoyed playing the third.)

I would say Uncharted but with 4 coming out it's no longer a trilogy.

I'm going with Mass Effect, though I've not played much of ME 1. I really enjoyed 2 & 3, just so much fun with an awesome story and wicked gameplay. It nails everything and had me hooked til the end.

HDN, I guess. It WAS a trilogy when I played it at least.

I don't really have any other choice, since all other games I've played either have only one or no sequels, or the games' storylines aren't related to each other. This reminds me that I have to dig my Atelier games out of the backlog...

HDN, I guess. It WAS a trilogy when I played it at least.

I don't really have any other choice, since all other games I've played either have only one or no sequels, or the games' storylines aren't related to each other. This reminds me that I have to dig my Atelier games out of the backlog...

What exactly is HDN (I mean not everyone will know this abbreviation)?

I believe it's Hyperdimension Neptunia. I know what you mean though, unless you know the acronym, it can be annoying.

OT: It's hard to say. Uncharted was amazeballs, but so was ME. Even if 3's ending was meh, the entire game leading up to it was till omfg! 

• Like 1