Gameplay Tips and Tricks

Just thought I'd start a thread for any tips and tricks you find. Now that it's a + game, I'm sure a lot more of us will be playing it and going for that shiny shiny :platinum:.

I'm not very far into it, but so far I have one important tip for climbing:

Push the left stick all the way to the right or left (i.e. at 3 or 9 o'clock) if you're jumping from a hold to a ledge that is to one side or the other of you. The "grab" detection only seems to register if you do this. If you don't, (e.g. your stick is at 2 or 10 o'clock) Styx will likely make the height of the ledge, but fall anyway.

Also, you need to be moving very damned slowly of you want to drop from a ledge and hang from it. If you're going anything faster than a slow walk, Styx will just fall off it. So be careful when running away from guards in particular. If you're panicking and moving fast, you may end up falling to your death.

Please, add your gameplay tips below. Thanks all.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Save, often. 

The difficuties with ledge detection mean that you will be falling a lot, so make sure you save frequently if you don't want to have to repeat difficult bits too often.

Saving in this game is very Important, because it doesn't have much auto saves like normal games, for example, I finished the 5th mission and didn't save, I went to repeat a mission to make some trophies and then when I went back I was still doing the 5th mission and needed to finish it again! So remember, Save the game in every possible moment!!!!

• Like 1

Saw in the other thread you were still having trouble grabbing ledges, Stricken. You have to double tap X (i think, been awhile) basically. The second right before the ledge you want to grab or drop down on. Don't attempt to roll off a ledge onto those iron crosses without doing this (speed/stealth runs). I didn't realize what I was doing until mid to late game that I had to be more conscious and precise about it.  

Saw in the other thread you were still having trouble grabbing ledges, Stricken. You have to double tap X (i think, been awhile) basically. The second right before the ledge you want to grab or drop down on. Don't attempt to roll off a ledge onto those iron crosses without doing this (speed/stealth runs). I didn't realize what I was doing until mid to late game that I had to be more conscious and precise about it.  

^^^What he said, but not double tap, its actually HOLD X while in the air.............so tap x to jump out, hold x while in air, grab a ledge, stab a root sucker lol

Edit*   Actually its not even that hard.....I don't know what I was thinking, just started playing it again and realize its actually just hold x period.  Get in the habit of just holding x to jump all the time and you'll be fine

Edited by DerelictSoul

• 1 month later...

Wow, here's a great tip that would have made my first play through soooooo much easier!  LOL  Styx can whistle to distract guards.......hold down on the d pad to do so

He can what O_o

Why doesn't the game tell you?

Yeah, it's the same with clones, you can make them growl to attract nearby enemies...

Too bad I only found that out when the elves came rolling in -.-.

I did that whole playthough no kills and all amulets too... This could have saved me hours.