Trophy Difficulty? Rating scale 1 to 10

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:07 PM, Wild-Arms-Rudy said:

Can I ask you something man? Do you actually enjoy being a trophy hunter? Not trying to hate btw, I think judging by your amount of plats(Plus the quality of them)your indeed skilled.

Its just reading some of your posts you seem pretty unhappy...

I usually enjoy it, but sometimes I encounter a game with such a bs trophy list that makes me consider spending my time in a better way...

PS. I mean, I never run away from challenges, as long as you aren't forced to do huge portions all over again, wasting maybe two hours of progress because some masochist decided it was right to not place checkpoints inbetween... Still haven't found the will to attempt it again.

Edited by Brightblade76

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am not done yet, but the difficulty of this game is way overstated. It's probably about a 4 or 5 in difficulty. However, it is an extremely time consuming, boring, and horribly designed game with absolutely awful level design, one the worst cameras I have ever experienced in a game, invisible walls everywhere, constantly wandering aimlessly and backtracking throughout bland environments with obnoxious camera switches every five seconds, you need to grind for hours to even get half of the abilities/upgrades, janky and awkward and stiff controls, a horrible directional based combo system that is very frustrating and clunky considering how bad the camera and lock-on are, completely nonsensical cringeworthy story, some of the worst boss designs I have ever experienced in a game, the same garbage "the time has come and so have I" song loop playing on repeat nonstop for combat, and S ranks and style system in general is really poorly designed. I think this might be where people conflate poor game design with difficulty. 

Basically, the game gives you the tools to make everything as easy as you want (and even most of the speedruns and top players are just spamming the same abilities)

For S-ranks, they are very easy with Lady/Trish, you don't even need to get all the red orbs, I don't recommend using a guide for them because that's just tedious, just make sure to destroy all the environmental pieces you see for their orbs. I usually just got an A or B on orbs, but the time is extremely generous, especially on higher difficulties, and you can easily complete them in half of what it asks for S-rank, and the style is also very easy since apparently "style" is spamming the same attacks over and over (it's a poorly designed system) and also you can just farm style from repeatable fights (you probably won't need to, but it would allow you to easily get the S-rank if you missed it the first time). Even using items, you can regularly get 1.5-2x the requirements for S-rank with minimal effort on your first try. The whole ranking system is just a completely unbalanced joke. For style, just spam CS3 as Lady and round trip + fully charged colider as Trish. 

For the boss trophies, you can just spam holy waters as soon as you reach the SSS rank and it even lets you use supers if you want, so a complete joke.

For the Bloody Palace you can use supers, so the only difficult part will be Trish and Lady which is why I would recommend doing all S-ranks on them for practice so you can do BP with them more easily.

For Lady, you literally spam CS3 while jumping around with camera away for every single enemy and boss. CS3 is both the fastest, safest, and most stylish way to kill enemies so you do absolutely nothing else. Never use your DT and just save it for bosses and as an emergency to escape in case you get grabbed by a red blitz (I believe this always one shots you). You should never need it otherwise so you should always be able to use it on bosses and should have just in case for all the blitzes, even though you probably won't need to use it. You will need the DT for the frog boss though, as only melee works on the blue tentacle ladies, and there is no consistent way I could find to not get hit or grabbed by them considering how barebones Lady's melee options are. So just use DT if they freeze you as that attack does a ton of damage. 

For Trish, all you need to learn is Pandora cancelling. The game is a broken piece of shit so ideal "gameplay" as Trish consists of spamming your Pandora moves in air to recharge your DT and then use your giant death beam. This is literally how you do every boss in the entire game; you just sit there in the air and spam death beam while pandora cancelling to get DT. For regular enemies in bloody palace use round trip + bare knuckle combo C/electrical dance. Occasionally you can use V-divider for nimble enemies. For Fausts/Mephisto use DT pistols to decloak and then round trip + bare knuckle combo D. For all bosses (including Blitz) use death beam and Pandora cancelling as stated. I don't recommend using collider much in bloody palace since it's very inconsistent as it is a directional move. 

For Dante/Nero/Vergil, just use super costumes, but I'm sure they have similar moves you just spam while occasionally just jumping whenever an enemy does an attack (since jumping is not really for mobility but you just i-frame clip through moves). You can also just use their super costumes for HaH runs too.

Edited by machaesthetic
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

So for those in the know, what exactly is it that makes DMC4 easier than DMC5? The trophy lists look very similar, but DMC4 has the Bloody Palace trophies. Knowing myself and my own skill level, clearing 100 BP stages without dying on not just one character, but all characters, sounds like the most daunting task ever! 

People consistently say DMC5 is a 10/10 difficulty whereas I’ve seen a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere say DMC4’s difficulty is overrated. Yet fewer people have the platinum. Can anyone comment on this? I’m curious. ?

18 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

So for those in the know, what exactly is it that makes DMC4 easier than DMC5? The trophy lists look very similar, but DMC4 has the Bloody Palace trophies. Knowing myself and my own skill level, clearing 100 BP stages without dying on not just one character, but all characters, sounds like the most daunting task ever! 

People consistently say DMC5 is a 10/10 difficulty whereas I’ve seen a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere say DMC4’s difficulty is overrated. Yet fewer people have the platinum. Can anyone comment on this? I’m curious. 1f642.png

I was planning to do a trophy guide for DMC 4, so, to answer your question, 4 would be a 7, 5 an 8,  the trophy lists are very similiar, but  there's a key difference, two actually, since you can't use Lady, but still, you need to S Rank Hell and Hell mode in 5, while 4, just complete it and it's done, 5 also has more aggressive enemies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

People consistently say DMC5 is a 10/10 difficulty whereas I’ve seen a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere say DMC4’s difficulty is overrated. Yet fewer people have the platinum. Can anyone comment on this? I’m curious. ?

Havent played DMC5 yet but DMC4 is not overrated. Maybe if youve played it before but for new players the learning curve is very high and the platinum trophy is difficult. 

I hear others say super meat boy isnt hard or that wolfenstein 2 isnt hard and that its just trial and error. Everyone is different, what some may find difficult and demanding, others will have an easier time with and the other way around.

If you look at the platinum difficulty poll over at pst.org you will quickly find that opinions are all over the place. Reading your post i can only assume you havent played DMC4 before or you have but its been very little or years since. (Havent looked at your profile) dont go in expecting that DMC4 will be easy peasy. You can make it easier on yourself by using lady/trish for s ranks and super costumes for certain characters/trophies but it will still be a demanding platinum trophy to obtain.

People saying DMC4 is easy and im talking about the ones who rate it as low as a 5 clearly know and have played the game ALOT. For someone who havent, dont expect the same results.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

22 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Havent played DMC5 yet but DMC4 is not overrated. Maybe if youve played it before but for new players the learning curve is very high and the platinum trophy is difficult. 

I hear others say super meat boy isnt hard or that wolfenstein 2 isnt hard and that its just trial and error. Everyone is different, what some may find difficult and demanding, others will have an easier time with and the other way around.

If you look at the platinum difficulty poll over at pst.org you will quickly find that opinions are all over the place. Reading your post i can only assume you havent played DMC4 before or you have but its been very little or years since. (Havent looked at your profile) dont go in expecting that DMC4 will be easy peasy. You can make it easier on yourself by using lady/trish for s ranks and super costumes for certain characters/trophies but it will still be a demanding platinum trophy to obtain.

People saying DMC4 is easy and im talking about the ones who rate it as low as a 5 clearly know and have played the game ALOT. For someone who havent, dont expect the same results.

The difference is SMB and Wolfenstein 2 don't have cheap exploits or what not in they're trophies while in DMC4 you can basically cheese the S Ranks with Lady& Trish

Dante, Nero and Vergil's BP with super costume

Lady's BP is basically spamming charged pistols in circles

The only hard task is to finish Trish's Bloody Palace which isn't really that hard since you can abuse the infinite DT pandora glitch.

Sure the platinum is not easy but it's nothing more than a 7/10 at best merely because of Trish's BP

Same thing with DMC5 Except even easier since you get an auto S-Rank when you do no damage which you can easily cheese with faust and other tricks for the other characters

And even if you get hit you can just quit the game and come back.

They even made the S Ranks easier in the December 2020 update for the game

I got it twice on 2 old accounts and planning to do it here too

Games like DMC4&5 having 10/10 difficulties is an absolute joke, you don't even have to learn the game lol. Bet most people who platinumed the game don't even know what jump cancel is.

Edited by Mohemn_Ammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-02-13 at 0:07 PM, scemopagliaccioh said:

I was planning to do a trophy guide for DMC 4, so, to answer your question, 4 would be a 7, 5 an 8,  the trophy lists are very similiar, but  there's a key difference, two actually, since you can't use Lady, but still, you need to S Rank Hell and Hell mode in 5, while 4, just complete it and it's done, 5 also has more aggressive enemies.

Ahh yes S ranking Hell and Hell sounds like... well, hell. Lol. ThT would be an extremely daunting task!

I’m guessing Lady is like ez mode or something? Regardless, that’s another thing that makes DMC4 seem a lot more difficult in my mind... the fact you have to basically master all the different characters.

Mastering one character in a DMC game is a daunting task as it is, but mastering several? Oh boy! ?

On 2021-02-13 at 0:52 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

Yes, you’re correct in that I’ve never played DMC4. I did pick it up in a sale awhile back though, which is part of the reason why I am curious about it. So far I’ve only played & platinumed DMC 1, 2, and the DmC reboot. My next DMC project will be #3, which I am very much looking forward to as I’ve heard a lot of people regard it as their all time favourite. ?

I certainly don’t think DMC4 is overrated by any means, and if anything it looks crazy hard to me. Like a massive difficulty spike in trophy requirements from the previous games! But for all the 10/10 difficulty ratings, I’ve seen quite a lot of people who claim the challenge is blown out of proportion and is more like a 6-7 which was really surprising to me. For the average player, I find that very hard to believe, but again as I haven’t played it myself I am only going by the trophy list and how challenging it looks.

Also, I must say that I personally find it to be a complete joke when skilled players try to downplay the difficulty of a clearly, objectively difficult game. I am not sure whether these types of people are just trying to not-so-humble brag about their skills, or whether they’re just plain trolling, but giving something like DMC4 or Wolfenstein 2 or whatever a 4 or 5/10 difficulty is just plain silly.

We have to remember that the difficulty ratings assigned to games on PSNP and PST guides are an attempt to reflect the difficulty level for an average player with average to moderate skills. So it’s just dumb for someone to give something like Wolfenstein 2 a 5/10 difficulty based on their own (apparently god-like) experience with the game, as this just doesn’t accurately reflect how challenging the game is for the average player who will attempt it.

This is also why I always prefer PST’s estimated difficulty ratings. PSNP rating is based off the guide author’s opinion, whereas PST uses an average based off all the polling data jt collects from users who votes. And like you said, there’s always opinions that are all over the place, which I love reading through as it gives you a much more accurate estimate for what you’re up against. ?

42 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Ahh yes S ranking Hell and Hell sounds like... well, hell. Lol. ThT would be an extremely daunting task!

I’m guessing Lady is like ez mode or something? Regardless, that’s another thing that makes DMC4 seem a lot more difficult in my mind... the fact you have to basically master all the different characters.

Mastering one character in a DMC game is a daunting task as it is, but mastering several? Oh boy! 1f609.png

Yes, you’re correct in that I’ve never played DMC4. I did pick it up in a sale awhile back though, which is part of the reason why I am curious about it. So far I’ve only played & platinumed DMC 1, 2, and the DmC reboot. My next DMC project will be #3, which I am very much looking forward to as I’ve heard a lot of people regard it as their all time favourite. 1f642.png

I certainly don’t think DMC4 is overrated by any means, and if anything it looks crazy hard to me. Like a massive difficulty spike in trophy requirements from the previous games! But for all the 10/10 difficulty ratings, I’ve seen quite a lot of people who claim the challenge is blown out of proportion and is more like a 6-7 which was really surprising to me. For the average player, I find that very hard to believe, but again as I haven’t played it myself I am only going by the trophy list and how challenging it looks.

Also, I must say that I personally find it to be a complete joke when skilled players try to downplay the difficulty of a clearly, objectively difficult game. I am not sure whether these types of people are just trying to not-so-humble brag about their skills, or whether they’re just plain trolling, but giving something like DMC4 or Wolfenstein 2 or whatever a 4 or 5/10 difficulty is just plain silly.

We have to remember that the difficulty ratings assigned to games on PSNP and PST guides are an attempt to reflect the difficulty level for an average player with average to moderate skills. So it’s just dumb for someone to give something like Wolfenstein 2 a 5/10 difficulty based on their own (apparently god-like) experience with the game, as this just doesn’t accurately reflect how challenging the game is for the average player who will attempt it.

This is also why I always prefer PST’s estimated difficulty ratings. PSNP rating is based off the guide author’s opinion, whereas PST uses an average based off all the polling data jt collects from users who votes. And like you said, there’s always opinions that are all over the place, which I love reading through as it gives you a much more accurate estimate for what you’re up against. 1f609.png

Well, yes, DMC 4 has more characters, but there are some "stratagems" users like Mohemn mentioned, if you want the platinum for it, my advice would basically be:

pick Lady/Trish for the human, demon hunter, son of sparda and dante must die modes, so that you can easily S Rank them, Vergil for Legendary Dark knight mode, as Vergil is the strongest character of the bunch, making quick work of enemies, and S Ranking LDK mode is a joke, if you  give  attention to the  Time (the same as Son of Sparda, for references) required to get the S Rank.

Lady is technically broken, but suffers from having the weakest defenses in the game,  and has no way to recover health with super forms (her special is just an AoE grenade spam, that's more powerful the more DT you have), so you pretty much need to work on your camera "game" if you plan to do Bloody Palace.

Also, the super costumes, can be either unlocked in the special bundle at the start,  or by completing DMD with said character, Vergil and Dante can complete the palace with you blindfolded, not an exaggeration, as  they're pretty much broken with infinite DT, Nero is a bit more complex, and I prefer the normal version due to health regen, but i can easily see how it's painful for someone to constantly "charge" their  attacks without having the DT doing it automatically for them. Trish does not have  a costume, but you can do fun stuff like pandora cancelling.

Though, looking at your profile,  I would suggest you to dip your toes with DMC 3 first, it's one of the best of the series, and has the most similiar "battle feel" to DMC4, which is a bit of a  departure from DMC 1 and DMC2.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Though, looking at your profile,  I would suggest you to dip your toes with DMC 3 first, it's one of the best of the series, and has the most similiar "battle feel" to DMC4, which is a bit of a  departure from DMC 1 and DMC2.

I appreciate all the tips you wrote above, thank you! I have saved this thread for future reference. 

I always prefer to play series in order when possible, so I will definitely be playing Devil May Cry 3 first. I’m really looking forward to it. Not to mention, I’d like to tackle the challenge of getting all the trophies in the original trilogy first before I even think of moving on to 4 & 5, which look like a whole new ballgame! I figured there would be no harm though in starting to do some research and familiarize myself with DMC4 ahead of time though.

• Like 1