Well? How does it measure up?

Totalcross3000

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT buy this sorry excuse of a game. I made that mistake and I completely regret it now. Definitely wait for a price drop and even then it still  may not be worth it. It's really only for the most hardcore Godzilla fans and even they may think it's a joke as well. This game is really for no-one at all. It's very repetitive, the modes are very limited and that's just the start of it.

I paid $50 for it, don't make the same mistake and definitely don't buy it's overblown digital price either. Even if you're just interested in getting trophies, it is still a colossal bore and so tedious.

To put it bluntly, this game is an epic failure on Godzilla scale proportions. AVOID.

• Like 1

I feel your pain but I only bought cause its Playstation exclusive I thought it was fun when its not online for ps3 but as soon as I started playing it the graphics was terrible gameplay is bad, controls are terrible,story don't make much meaning  and trophies are a real thorn since all your work will go back to the beginning again

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, now I know WHY it wasn't in the Gamestop Library...it wasn't released here in the US as a Physical Copy.

Nevertheless, the digital version is currently on sale on PSN ($12.49 until 9/12/17) and I must say this is NOT worth the $60 price. $12...MAYBE, but only if you are a true fan of the King of Monsters. If you've only seen Godzilla 2014, you need not read any further. Go pick up the newest version of Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto instead.

The controls are not intuitive and take some getting used to (you use the shoulder buttons to turn your Kaiju instead of the rt. analog stick). Your fight options are EXTREMELY limited and the camera doesn't help you out for seeing how close/far you are from your objective. There are serious clipping and collision detection issues, something that went out the door back in the 32-bit era. The reintroduction of invisible walls may be walk down memory lane to some, but will be nothing less than aggravating to everybody else and just screams RUSHJOB to the average player. Honestly, the entire game feels like this...like somebody came into the Bandai Namco studios 4 weeks before the 2014 movie was released and decided on the spot to have a game ready to match the films debut date. Nothing is fleshed out to its completion, only a smattering of Godzilla's friends/enemies are included and the presentation is lower budget than some of the earlier Gamera films. Honestly, I'm sure BN is relieved that the King of Monsters is a fictional character. If there was ANY chance, no matter how small, that he could be a reality, they would be hiding down in their shelters awaiting their Headquarters' eminent destruction for the disrespect they have given him.

On the positive side, the monsters look and sound FANTASTIC...however, that's the only thing that looks good from the tiny levels, the poor weather/smoke effects and the cheap window in window voice-over presentations. None of the cut-scenes can be skipped, which makes the game even more painful listening to the same drivel over and over again. The game forces you to play the God of Destruction mode round after round to evolve your Kaiju and you must complete a full sequence before updating your monster or you'll be forced to start the round over from the beginning. One other plus is the use of the original music themes scattered throughout the game. It's a great nostalgic touch for the actual fan. The Dioramic Mode is a nice side-bar but it doesn't have enough to make it anything more than a one shot pony. Like the rest of the game, if this idea had been properly fleshed out it would have been a modeler's wet dream. 

For the trophy hunters here, this game (PS3 version) is still plat-able and has NO online trophies. There will be a grind to the game and this won't be just a weekend rental. However, it looks like most average players should have a chance to complete this one 100%, that is if you can tolerate the large amount of negatives included. 

All in all, I'd have to give Godzilla a 3 outta 10. The gameplay is bargain basement, highly repetitive and lacking any depth whatsoever, even with the multiple "modes" of gameplay available. I've seen better Monster mashup games (War of the Monsters PS2) that top this title easily in every department, INCLUDING graphical presentation. Even the PlayStation 2 Godzilla titles had more on the ball than this embarrassment to the franchise. The real shame is that this rendition had so much possibility and it was squandered by either a lack of programming talent or the failure of NB to give the programmers enough time to put out a finished product. Unless you know the difference between Hedorah and Ghidorah, you have no real reason to play this game. Even then, DON'T waste your money for a full price purchase and that is coming from a true Godzilla fan who owns all 31 movies on DVD/VHS. If you must own this game, pick it up during the current sale or wait for another one hopefully in the future.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...