Crouched assault rifle kills aren't registering

Hi, folks:

I need some advice before I throw my controller at the TV.

I started today with 91 kills toward the "Crouch Potato" challenge. (I need to get through level 5 of that one, right?)

Tired of being stood up by enemies while I try to kill them with crappy assault rifles, this morning, I made a TERRIFIC legendary assault rifle (see photo) with the grinder. Then I went to play the "Guardian Hunter" mission for three hours, leveling up two other characters for which I need trophies as well as another player, using the assault rifle most of the time while crouching. Because it's really effective, I stayed crouched the entire time, as evidenced by the "crouch" icon on the screen. Yay! This is great! When I was done, I was exhausted, but it was worth it for all those crouched assault rifle kills!

I checked my Badass stats to see how many I'd gotten. Heart racing, I saw that I now have ... 91. Not one single AR kill had registered.

Why on earth not? I've had this problem in previous Blands games with the shotgun because there was elemental on the weapon, but this one doesn't have any elemental. What the hell could possibly be the problem THIS time? IS THERE SOME GLITCH I DONT KNOW ABOUT? I'm ready to rip my hair right out of my scalp. I hate this challenge with a burning passion, and I'm ready to tweet some brand-new swear words at Randy Pitchford.

Would someone please say something to make me feel better before I have a heart attack and fling myself out the window?

I am bereft. I'd be most grateful for some kinda tip.

Binky

post-26249-0-24996100-1437180967_thumb.jpg

I think it might be the explosive damage. I'm not sure, but I think Torgue weapons don't actually count. They are all smaller grenade launcher essentially. I could be wrong, but I remember having the same problem in Borderlands 2.

To test it out, get 1 kill with another AR (anything but Torgue) and see if it goes up. Then get 1 kill with the Torgue, and check again.

Edited by PREDRAG-K

I think it might be the explosive damage. I'm not sure, but I think Torgue weapons don't actually count. They are all smaller grenade launcher essentially. I could be wrong, but I remember having the same problem in Borderlands 2.

To test it out, get 1 kill with another AR (anything but Torgue) and see if it goes up. Then get 1 kill with the Torgue, and check again.

Pretty sure you're right. I remember in Borderlands 2 when I was doing the crouching assault rifle kill challenge I had an explosive damage rifle like OP is using and unless the initial shot hit them it never worked because it looked as if a couple mini grenades always spawned and cleaned house.

unless the initial shot hit them

The initial shot pretty much ALWAYS hits; I'm standing right in front of the wraith, about three feet away, so I can't miss. The weapon has 100% accuracy. It takes two or three shots to kill it. I've never seen anything that looks like a "mini-grenade" come out of my AR.

I've tried other ARs previously, they were woefully underpowered, and required far, far too many shots to kill anything. Whatever I was shooting at would run at me, bump me, stand me up, and then my final shot would occur while I was standing up. (I don't really need to explain this, do I? Everyone here's been through this a hundred times.) That's why I went through the trouble of grinding a legendary AR. Is this one really no good?

The initial shot pretty much ALWAYS hits; I'm standing right in front of the wraith, about three feet away, so I can't miss. The weapon has 100% accuracy. It takes two or three shots to kill it. I've never seen anything that looks like a "mini-grenade" come out of my AR.

I've tried other ARs previously, they were woefully underpowered, and required far, far too many shots to kill anything. Whatever I was shooting at would run at me, bump me, stand me up, and then my final shot would occur while I was standing up. (I don't really need to explain this, do I? Everyone here's been through this a hundred times.) That's why I went through the trouble of grinding a legendary AR. Is this one really no good?

Your weapon seems good. But for this challenge it's not going to be. Explosive damage weapons from my experience did not help me with some of my challenges. The other AR's are under-powered because they don't have explosion damage. They are just normal bullets and unfortunately do require many hits to kill. The mini grenades, btw, are kinda hard to see. I think you'll know they are there if you shoot your weapon and even if the initial hits...you'll see a few more damage counters pop up even though you didn't fire.

You could try using one gun to do some major damage and then finish off the enemy with a regular AR. Otherwise you are going to run the risk of any element based AR doing an status effect kill. It sucks big time but there isn't much to do about it. 

Your weapon seems good. But for this challenge it's not going to be. Explosive damage weapons from my experience did not help me with some of my challenges. The other AR's are under-powered because they don't have explosion damage.

Well, nuts. By using a different weapon and then switching to an AR (which I've done), I give the enemies time to rush at me, bump into me, and stand me up. That's how I've gotten my lousy 91 kills so far.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. (But I'm totally lying about being thankful; I'm so miserable about this, this is the last a Blands game I'm platinuming. I'm sick to death of grinding these unpleasant, unfun, anti-Bueno challenges.)

I guess it could be worse; it could be an SMG challenge.

Sigh. I've sunk this much time into it; I haven't any choice but to keep going. The misery continues.

Thanks for helping me out, Soulforged.

Bink

Edited by BinkyMelnik
  • Like 1

it looked as if a couple mini grenades always spawned and cleaned house.

I think the reason I'm not seeing any mini-grenades is because EVERYTHING that fires out of this weapon is a grenade. I've come to the realization that this weapon is a grenade launcher. If I kill four kraggons with one shot each, and don't register so much as one crouched kill, it's gotta be because I'm firing grenades.

AUGH!

I think the reason I'm not seeing any mini-grenades is because EVERYTHING that fires out of this weapon is a grenade. I've come to the realization that this weapon is a grenade launcher. If I kill four kraggons with one shot each, and don't register so much as one crouched kill, it's gotta be because I'm firing grenades.

AUGH!

Yeah it kinda sucks. I didn't find too many good AR's that fired normal bullets. Damage is obviously nowhere near as good as the grenade/rocket launcher types. I could never find one with an accuracy stat of at least 90% either. Clip size doesn't matter to me as long as the reload time isn't more than 2-3 seconds. 

I didn't find too many good AR's that fired normal bullets.

Look what I ground! ("Grinded" doesn't sound right.) it kills everything I've tried it on in one-two shots! I'm getting crouched kills like crazy! It's bee-yo-tee-full! It took forever, but I did it!

oruNEiW.jpg

• Like 1

Look what I ground! ("Grinded" doesn't sound right.) it kills everything I've tried it on in one-two shots! I'm getting crouched kills like crazy! It's bee-yo-tee-full! It took forever, but I did it!

oruNEiW.jpg

Very nice. Does TPS have damage numbers like the first borderlands? Borderlands 2 has really high numbers from what I remember even at those levels.

Damage numbers? I'm not altogether sure I understand the question. Do you mean when you're firing at an enemy, and those little numbers shower off of him as he takes damage? (Because TPS has that.) (Though with this weapon, they don't get the chance to do that, because it's a one-shot kill.) If that's not what you mean, would you re-phrase, please?

I just came from Regolith Range, where I deaded heaps o' scavs and kraggons and totally forgot to check my crouched kills before I quit, but it was a satisfyingly large number. I'm no longer angry at Gearbox for this aggravating challenge.

Still irritated about close-up shotgun kills, as my shotgun has elemental on it (corrosive), so I hafta hurry up and kill stuff FAST before they corrode to death. Urk!

Edited by BinkyMelnik

Damage numbers? I'm not altogether sure I understand the question. Do you mean when you're firing at an enemy, and those little numbers shower off of him as he takes damage? (Because TPS has that.) (Though with this weapon, they don't get the chance to do that, because it's a one-shot kill.) If that's not what you mean, would you re-phrase, please?

I just came from Regolith Range, where I deaded heaps o' scavs and kraggons and totally forgot to check my crouched kills before I quit, but it was a satisfyingly large number. I'm no longer angry at Gearbox for this aggravating challenge.

Still irritated about close-up shotgun kills, as my shotgun has elemental on it (corrosive), so I hafta hurry up and kill stuff FAST before they corrode to death. Urk!

The rifle you have has 478 damage. In Borderlands I'm lvl 51 and I have a rifle with half that kind of damage. Yet in Borderlands 2 I am lvl 50 and have a rifle with a damage count in the thousands. (I think my highest is 12K but it's a grenade shooter. Regular I think is around 6-7K) 

I suppose it all evens out anyways I just find the numbers change a tad weird.

Ah; I gotcha. I have a level 50 rocket launcher with damage of 98750, so yes, there are still wicked-powerful weapons in TPS. (I can't use it, obviously, but it's banked until I can! I can't wait!) I haven't gone to TVHM yet because I'm still leveling up characters in preparation for obtaining the trophies for them, but I'm anticipating seeing some really powerful weapons once I do, especially if I end up playing long enough that I get to Eleseer a second time. (Eeek; just the thought of playing long enough that I get to Eleseer again makes me dizzy!)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to put this topic to bed: I coulda kicked myself because I had it in my head that I needed to get to level five in this challenge (perhaps because I needed to in Blands 2, maybe?). I was horrified to realize after 220 crouched kills that I had only needed to get to level one, and that it was my shotgun that I needed to get to level five in several challenges. Guh.

At any rate, all of my challenges are done and I have the trophy, and don't much care about my weapons anymore. I have good, powerful, useful ones now, and can laugh about all the grief I went through with my stupid assault rifle. I sure wish it were clear which challenges need to be which level to get the trophy!

• Like 1