Crespelio-X12

Sony vs Steam  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Sony vs Steam

• Steam
    • Sony

Oh yea, free multiplayer, another "advantage" I don't give a damn about =D

Thanks to everyone for confirming that I have no reason to care about Steam =D

You know what is shameful? Sony had "free multiplayer" too and their wasn't good then too, now they have the lead and you have to pay for it, their network still sucks.

If you don't like a service that's cool but don't try downplay the other one which is clearly superior. 

Edited by 3DS Master Race
  • Like 2

I downloaded DRIVECLUB(26gb) in about 10hours while playing GTA Online :)

Buddy... That sarcasm is so obvious, even I got it. xD

A 16mbit connection could do it theoretical in 3h 36min.

(but overall im fine with PSN-speed ... Im not in a hurry)

Edited by Neputyunu

I think Steam is better service overall but the only reason why PC games are so cheap is because people can download them for free from illegal sites and to prevent that companies prefer to lower the prices. Also download speed is pretty amazing on ps4. I downloaded DRIVECLUB(26gb) in about 10hours while playing GTA Online :)

pc games are cheaper because Sony/Microsoft take 11% total per unit and since pc it's an open platform there is no 11% to pay.

Anyways pretty amusing reading this thread and seeing how defensive people get.

• Like 1

But...

People are like "PC multiplayer is freeeeee!" and are acting like this would be a killerfeature or whatever. :D

At least Sony has no cashgrab-"I swear I will finish the game! ... (not)"-greenlight-games, which are always a patchwork out of different stolen ressources, like "Into The War" or "RIP" (FPS is a very popular genre for this), cost way too much and have microtransaction which are going to make you way to op, like in "Batla" eg. :P And then suddenly some game get removed and their servers closed because they made probably enough cash with it and bye bye, we see you in our next copy&pasted "game"!  :awesome:

The Reviews about these Greenlight games are always funny :D

It's an expense that people normally do not realize will add up over time, I spent nearly $500 on subscriptions across PSN and XBL and no longer game on XBL because of it. How much you value free multiplayer is up to the person but it's still widely viewed as a positive thing considering nearly all games are receiving some sort of multiplayer functionality.

Also Steams library of games is massive. Of course your going to have quite a few crappy and obscure ones like that, like any other platform they can't all be good lol

You do have community reviews, curators and other resources to help you decide on your purchase though.

I'm just waiting for that Windows 10 store, if it has everything, I might just disappear for a few years lol.

Wait, what do you mean?

I don't think the Windows 10 store has anything other than Microsoft exclusives and mobile games lol

• Like 1

I've been primarily a PC gamer since the early-mid 2000's and until early this year I decided to "retire" from PC gaming ( I know most people do it the other way Console to PC). One of the biggest reasons were cost I know its not required but when I was playing on a PC I felt they need to keep specs at the best possible and led into a massive money sink upgrade train averaging something like £300-500 a year in the long run, Also gaming got to the stage where it didn't feel "fun" anymore sat at a desk on a mouse and keyboard and even tried using a gamepad but it didn't feel the same as been on a console.

A lot of people say you save a fortune buying games on steam compared to PSN/XBL but in reality it isn't as all steam are digital and have no resale value where as you get get a physical game and resell it 1-2 month after and only loose out on £5 or so compared to having digital games on steam that you will never play again and recently AAA games on steam are beginning to match PSN and cost more than a Physical PS release (AC:Syndicate and Fallout 4 on steam £49.99). I would much rather pay £42 physical and play it on my Sony Console and resell it 6-12 months after for £30 only costing me £12 as opposed to £50 and left with a game I will never play again.

A few years ago I would of said steam was way better but more recently I think PSN as well as XBL have improved ttheir services significantly and will have to vote Sony on this thread.

• Like 1

I don't use steam too much, but one feature I like is how it shows how much time you spend playing each game. I wish PSN had that too, but it's no big deal. My problem with pc gaming overall now, is that it's not unified under a single network. There is steam, origin, uplay etc, and I much prefer that all my games are together on PSN. I also prefer physical copies to digital so I wouldn't use steam to buy games anyway. I can't tell which one is better, both are pretty cool I guess.

It's an expense that people normally do not realize will add up over time, I spent nearly $500 on subscriptions across PSN and XBL and no longer game on XBL because of it. How much you value free multiplayer is up to the person but it's still widely viewed as a positive thing considering nearly all games are receiving some sort of multiplayer functionality.

I see it this way: I get 6 games per month for 4 bucks, cloudsave (for PS3 and Vita its enough), discount at the store and the autoupdate feature. ... So basicly multiplayer is free. But I dont care anyway, because normally I dont care for games with multiplayer (GTA5 was an exception, because its GTA, but, GTA5 was just overhyped imo... Dont think Im going to play GTA6. As child this was waaay more fun...) Most of my games even have no multiplayer-option, because... I know, I must do everything different than the mass, but... I WANT A STORY!!! (or at least a relaxing gameplay that allows me to be brainAFK on the couch, because its currently waaay too hot... means Controller > Mouse) I want to support the devs for their creativity and not to do stupid multiplayer which is basicly IN EVERY GAME the same.

Buddy explained last time, that CoD mp is fun, because capture the flag and stuff. Sooo much diversity!... I have done this in WoW at a time when he took naps in primary school! ololol. (Seriously WoW is pretty old meanwhile)

Also Steams library of games is massive. Of course your going to have quite a few crappy and obscure ones like that, like any other platform they can't all be good lol

You do have community reviews, curators and other resources to help you decide on your purchase though.

I know that every plattform has its own crapsection. :)

Well, honestly... currently I can only name you two games that Im interested in on PC.

Starcraft2 and Anno2205 ... and a few old DOS-, Win95/98-titles, well and WarCraft3 and Anno1701 from WinXP era ... and you know what? Even when I would construct a PC with an AMD A10-7800 ... meh... its still to expensive. Guess im switching to a tablet in the near future. My 6 or 7 years old laptop produces way too much heat just for being active. I mean, Im just using Chrome and the WindowsMediaPlayer (VLC sucks, just use Shark-codecs and WMP is the best player ever, without stupid artefacts everywhere) and... god, my old Lady is suuuuch a hot girl!  :awesome: *wishing sweat away*

And then you will be like "Why are you so defensive?" and Im like "Im not defensive. But why is it legit to have a pro-PC opinion on a PS-website, and everyone that isnt pro-PC - on a PS-website! - is defensive or fanboying?" ... Thats stupid :D btw, personally I dont care which plattform Im using. Im just with Sony because japangames and I like the trophysystem. Also... the community here is pretty nice (most of the time), right? :) I also would have a Wii U when it would has Pokemon, so I just want a N3DS. And XBox is senseless for me anyway. Im not going to buy an XBox just for Forza.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

Personally, I prefer Steam because of its many sales. My computer is very weak, so I use Steam to pick up old games and games that aren't demanding at all graphically. Right now, I'm more motivated to build a gaming PC than buy a PS4, since PS4 games are nowhere near as cheap as Vita and PS3 games.

I think Steam is better service overall but the only reason why PC games are so cheap is because people can download them for free from illegal sites and to prevent that companies prefer to lower the prices. Also download speed is pretty amazing on ps4. I downloaded DRIVECLUB(26gb) in about 10hours while playing GTA Online  :)

That's pretty slow o.o I downloaded it in about 1 hour 45 minutes. I played it and promptly deleted it.

I don't use steam too much, but one feature I like is how it shows how much time you spend playing each game. I wish PSN had that too, but it's no big deal. My problem with pc gaming overall now, is that it's not unified under a single network. There is steam, origin, uplay etc, and I much prefer that all my games are together on PSN. I also prefer physical copies to digital so I wouldn't use steam to buy games anyway. I can't tell which one is better, both are pretty cool I guess.

I love that feature on Steam and wish it would come to PSN.

As a service, Steam is way better than PSN. But yeah, there is way too much fragmentation with Uplay, Origin, GOG coming up, and I've heard rumblings Warner Brothers wants to have it's own service too, and they are a bigger publisher than you think they are. So that's a mess. 

If you mean console vs PC gaming, PC gaming is better, period. Games look and run better on PC. Still, I haven't touched my gaming PC in nearly 3 months. Been all about my PS4.

I will say the greatest thing Steam ever did for me was make me go digital only. If I want to switch to another game it happens in seconds. Also, pre-load is great. When a new game comes out I'm playing it a 9 pm on Monday night no fuss no muss. No midnight launch, no going to a store after work, no waiting for a delivery to get here. Will never buy a game on disc again. 

I'm not a huge fan of gaming on my PC, truth be told. Even though consoles are "inferior" in some regards, there's just something about them I prefer. Steam has some killer deals and things of the like, but I still have to go with Sony on this one.

I see it this way: I get 6 games per month for 4 bucks, cloudsave (for PS3 and Vita its enough), discount at the store and the autoupdate feature. ... So basicly multiplayer is free. But I dont care anyway, because normally I dont care for games with multiplayer (GTA5 was an exception, because its GTA, but, GTA5 was just overhyped imo... Dont think Im going to play GTA6. As child this was waaay more fun...) Most of my games even have no multiplayer-option, because... I know, I must do everything different than the mass, but... I WANT A STORY!!! (or at least a relaxing gameplay that allows me to be brainAFK on the couch, because its currently waaay too hot... means Controller > Mouse) I want to support the devs for their creativity and not to do stupid multiplayer which is basicly IN EVERY GAME the same.

Buddy explained last time, that CoD mp is fun, because capture the flag and stuff. Sooo much diversity!... I have done this in WoW at a time when he took naps in primary school! ololol. (Seriously WoW is pretty old meanwhile)

I know that every plattform has its own crapsection. :)

Well, honestly... currently I can only name you two games that Im interested in on PC.

Starcraft2 and Anno2205 ... and a few old DOS-, Win95/98-titles, well and WarCraft3 and Anno1701 from WinXP era ... and you know what? Even when I would construct a PC with an AMD A10-7800 ... meh... its still to expensive. Guess im switching to a tablet in the near future. My 6 or 7 years old laptop produces way too much heat just for being active. I mean, Im just using Chrome and the WindowsMediaPlayer (VLC sucks, just use Shark-codecs and WMP is the best player ever, without stupid artefacts everywhere) and... god, my old Lady is suuuuch a hot girl!  :awesome: *wishing sweat away*

And then you will be like "Why are you so defensive?" and Im like "Im not defensive. But why is it legit to have a pro-PC opinion on a PS-website, and everyone that isnt pro-PC - on a PS-website! - is defensive or fanboying?" ... Thats stupid :D btw, personally I dont care which plattform Im using. Im just with Sony because japangames and I like the trophysystem. Also... the community here is pretty nice (most of the time), right? :) I also would have a Wii U when it would has Pokemon, so I just want a N3DS. And XBox is senseless for me anyway. Im not going to buy an XBox just for Forza.

I know its a PSN site, but focusing on positive points like free multiplayer or cheaper games and trying to turn it into something negative is just being overly defensive imo.

I don't think you are being defensive btw, the things you brought up like Japanese titles, preference for trophies, PS plus games, etc. are perfectly valid reasons to prefer PSN over Steam. 

There are actually things I'd like to see on Steam that PSN has like Shareplay and cloud save support across all titles (I end up having to use a 3rd party app like One drive which is a hassle)

Also about your laptop, I recently bought one of these vacuum external coolers that lowered my temps by 10c

they look like this, it might be helpful to you until you replace it lol

61bnUZXtoxL._SL1000_.jpg

pc games are cheaper because Sony/Microsoft take 11% total per unit and since pc it's an open platform there is no 11% to pay.

Anyways pretty amusing reading this thread and seeing how defensive people get.

I'm pretty sure Steam also takes a similar cut.

I think PC games are cheaper because there's such a wide variety of online retailers competing combined with a market that is mostly dominated by digital downloads. With digtal downloads you don't have to factor in the cost to printing tons of CDs/boxes + shipping and restocking them, you have an infinite supply that costs you nothing to generate new copies.

I know its a PSN site, but focusing on positive points like free multiplayer or cheaper games and trying to turn it into something negative is just being overly defensive imo.

I never said its a good thing that games on PSN are more expensive....?

Why it cant be an option, that there are people who simply dont care about multiplayer anyway? :)

For me multiplayer is not a feature. For me multiplayer is something that cutted from singleplayer. More multiplayer = less singleplayer. I would play eg TombRaider, but have you ever seen how many multiplayer trophies it has? Nope... not going to play that. Looks waaay to multiplayer-ish for me.

Also I dont understand why today everything must be like a MMO or MOBA... I dont have fun with things like that.

I find multiplayer in general pretty boring. Sorry, but multiplayer is imo pretty senseless, because it is in any game more or less the same anyway, just with different graphics... and I also dont care for graphics. :D Seriously, while people are like "mimimi AssassinsCreed Syndicate sucks because its using the same graphics like Unity" Im like "OMG!!!! VICTORIAN LONDON! AAAAAWESOOOOME!" ... also im really interested what they do with the enviroment and the things that human history would provide :) (Also as I said in a previous post, Im still playing DOS- and Win95/98-titles.)

I do multiplayer just for trophies and thats it.

I dont see what is fun about League of Legends. I mean, you are playing it for 10-30 minutes and then it gets resetted ... wooow...

I also dont see whats so good about GTA:Online... Im not the "Lets do random bullshit, because its GTA!"-guy, because for this there would be SaintsRow that does THIS way better. (and it even has no multplayer! ♥)

It would be something different when multiplayer would have a plot. A coop-campaign eg :)

Edit: Because laptop ... I meant the roomtemp... My old Lady is pretty overwhelmed by everything nowadays. ... But its a cool idea, never heard about this way before. Thanks.

Edited by Neputyunu

And I'm like "OMG!!! NO MULTIPLAYER!" =D

Yeah, this too! ... NO MULTIPLAYER!

AAAAAWSOOOME!!! >u<

I mean, I want a game, I pay for a game and I get a game... no stupod senseless multiplayer. ♥♥♥ This is how it should be.

Edited by Neputyunu

Sony has every game available that was released for their console as either a physical or digital release. I have to give the edge to sony.

Do you mean every game ever that was released on PlayStation platforms or just PS4?

Because there are a lot of classics that just aren't available on PSN or digital only games that have been delisted over the years and can't be bought anymore.

• Like 2