Suggestion for Reducing Spam/Boosting Threads

Or make it impossible to create a thread having less than 10 posts total. That will force people to at least have the minimum effort of searching for already existant boosting threads.

Or more likely: people will spam threads to get the necessary amount of posts and create the thread without bothering to search.

Or more likely: people will spam threads to get the necessary amount of posts and create the thread without bothering to search.

those will be reported and the person will get a warning point if not follow the rules. If I were a guy wanting to boost minecraft, but denied from creating a thread, I would go to any unrelated minecraft thread and post my request.

I don't believe new members do such thing on purpose, but out of ignorance about how the site works and what the rules are (not that would be difficult for them to find and read the rules, to be honest).

• Like 1

I don't believe new members do such thing on purpose, but out of ignorance about how the site works and what the rules are (not that would be difficult for them to find and read the rules, to be honest).

That's why I'm suggesting that it gets added to the new post page. Then they won't even have too look for them. It'll be hand delivered to them when they try to make a new thread.

That's why I'm suggesting that it gets added to the new post page. Then they won't even have too look for them. It'll be hand delivered to them when they try to make a new thread.

reason why I edited my OP with "and/or", because I thought we had the same idea. Adding rules to 'create a new topic' page won't bother people (unless they create a thread per day, that is...) and would be nice if the 'individual boosting threads are not allowed, use Gaming Sessions instead' had the hyperlink for it.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

reason why I edited my OP with "and/or", because I thought we had the same idea. Adding rules to 'create a new topic' page won't bother people (unless they create a thread per day, that is...) and would be nice if the 'individual boosting threads are not allowed, use Gaming Sessions instead' had the hyperlink for it.

Sorry. Didn't see you edited it.

The problem is that most people who don't follow these rules are just idiots who wouldn't read them anyway.

I swear, We'd get a couple of threads titled "what do these thread rules mean?" :facepalm:

I don't know if this has already been implemented, but if not, why not instead require people to wait up to 30 seconds or a minute before they're allowed to make another post or thread?

I don't think that'll do a thing either. Pretty sure there's a ten second time limit for subsequent posts already. Even still, people will disobey the rules anyway because they don't read/acknowledge them. It would only give a downside to the people who actually do follow the rules.

The problem is that most people who don't follow these rules are just idiots who wouldn't read them anyway.

I swear, We'd get a couple of threads titled "what do these thread rules mean?" :facepalm:

I don't think that'll do a thing either. Pretty sure there's a ten second time limit for subsequent posts already. Even still, people will disobey the rules anyway because they don't read/acknowledge them. It would only give a downside to the people who actually do follow the rules.

Then at that point, trying to combat the issue seems entirely pointless. The only solution would be what members already do. Report these topics and posts so that a Moderator may issue warnings and, should the person in question continue to disregard the rules, a ban.

• Like 1

Precisely, people who don't usually frequent forums do not know (or maybe even care) about the rules of the forums. They also don't know and might not even care about the search function. They just want to make a post and get what they need thinking what they are doing is absolutely normal and fine. This is coming from someone who never used forums before finding this website and would definitely done those sorts of things at the time, lol

If it's even possible in the forum software, if a topic with the words "boosting" etc is attempted to be created, there should be a notification that says "Boosting Sessions: If you're trying to create a boosting session or find people to help you with online trophies, you need to go to the Gaming Sessions page, boosting threads aren't allowed in the forums." - Or maybe just have this sitting above the "Post New Topic" button. That will be the only way to get people who normally don't use the forums to say "ohh" because they are not going to use the search function and they won't go read the rules beforehand, lol

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

Precisely, people who don't usually frequent forums do not know (or maybe even care) about the rules of the forums. They also don't know and might not even care about the search function. They just want to make a post and get what they need thinking what they are doing is absolutely normal and fine. This is coming from someone who never used forums before finding this website and would definitely done those sorts of things at the time, lol

If it's even possible in the forum software, if a topic with the words "boosting" etc is attempted to be created, there should be a notification that says "Boosting Sessions: If you're trying to create a boosting session or find people to help you with online trophies, you need to go to the Gaming Sessions page, boosting threads aren't allowed in the forums." - Or maybe just have this sitting above the "Post New Topic" button. That will be the only way to get people who normally don't use the forums to say "ohh" because they are not going to use the search function and they won't go read the rules beforehand, lol

That's a much more detailed way of saying what I was trying to suggest. It's more so for the new users than for the people who already know that they're breaking the rules.

• Like 2

That's a much more detailed way of saying what I was trying to suggest. It's more so for the new users than for the people who already know that they're breaking the rules.

Yeah, what you first recommended was right on track, but posting the list of rules or saying "If your new topic follows the rules of these forums, click the Post New Topic button" won't just get read at all  :P If you post something specifically about boosting sessions, it's more likely gonna be read

Edited by BlindMango

IMO every sub forum for the respective game must have an Official Boosting thread, just like the Minecraft thread we have. Any new ones should just be deleted and not locked. It would reduce the clutter of useless threads containing 4 or 5 posts in the subforums. 

Also, it would be nice if the link to Parker's thread for new members and the site rules be pinned somewhere on the main forums where its actually visible to new members.

Sly's already stated he'd rather people use Gaming Sessions rather than posting any sort of boosting thread. Put a link or a statement any where you like, it's not going to deter people from posting boosting threads because they can just say "Oh, I didn't even see it" when you know damn well they did. You're still going to have to give people links to the Gaming Session page and there'll still be threads to lock, so this won't really change much. Not that I'm against any idea here, it's just that it won't really change anything.

Force-redirect every new created account to be taken to the rules page right after being sign up to the site. Plus of this idea would be not having to see the rules everytime you want to create a thead. Adding the 'we don't allow individual [...]' line to the new topic page also helps.

IMO every sub forum for the respective game must have an Official Boosting thread, just like the Minecraft thread we have. Any new ones should just be deleted and not locked. It would reduce the clutter of useless threads containing 4 or 5 posts in the subforums. 

Also, it would be nice if the link to Parker's thread for new members and the site rules be pinned somewhere on the main forums where its actually visible to new members.

No, because that is what gaming sessions are for. I hate that I STILL get messages for games I was boosting years ago because people open up the boosting thread and just message everyone in it (I actually got a Littlebigplanet 2 boosting message 2 weeks ago). The reason Minecraft got one was because it was up to about once a day someone was posting a boosting thread and finally one was created.

The gamesessions work well and they stay relevant with people who are actually boosting the game.

• Like 2

Force-redirect every new created account to be taken to the rules page right after being sign up to the site. Plus of this idea would be not having to see the rules everytime you want to create a thead. Adding the 'we don't allow individual [...]' line to the new topic page also helps.

I was going to suggest the force-direct but honestly I don't think it will really help much since they could just ignore it. Its like everytime there is an update on PSN and you have to accept the terms and service agreement, most people ignore it and accept the terms before moving on with the update. I know the rules and new member thread isn't nearly as long as that but I still think a lot of new members will ignore it anyway dood

Edited by Wdjat Prinny Doods
  • Like 1