Any tips for those of us who can't sleep?

PleaseHoldOn

I find despite having a very comfortable bed, and oftentimes being so tired before trying to sleep that I'm yawning uncontrollably... that I still just lay in bed for hours tossing and turning most nights.  I've tried every over-the-counter sleep aid out there, and while they do seem to make me feel more exhausted, my mind still wanders enough to keep me tossing and turning... I guess is the best way to describe it.  I think it's all because of this big, juicy brain of mine working into all hours of the night whether I want/need it to or not.

Without medicine/drugs or seeking professional help yet, I figured I'd stop here and check with the medical professionals of PSNP to see if there was anyone out there like me... and if they'd possibly have any friendly tips or tricks in this area.  A warm cup of milk before bed would work wonders perhaps?  Try sleeping on my back instead of curled up in a ball?  Go for a jog around the house three times before packing it in for the night?  Who knows what could work. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

I'm the same way, and it always messes up my weekends. I find that listening to music helps me. If you have an MP3 player or IPod, listen to it while trying to sleep. The music and lyrics seem to stop my mind from wandering, and I fall asleep much faster.

Exercise a couple hours before going to bed, and drink milk after eating something light (DO NOT try to eat by 10:00 PM, the brain will commonly keep your blood pumping by giving you night terrors in order to get digestion done, also no meat at night as it takes ap. 4 hours to digest). That used to get the job done for me (Don't need it as of now).

Hope it helps.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

I understand where you're coming from;  I was prescribed sleeping tablets for a little while and I think my mind fought against them...making me toss and turn, then leaving me feeling raggedy the next day.

These are my suggestions:

Relaxing music

Keep a pen and paper next to your bed to write down what's on your mind

Remove any electronics from the bedroom and keep it as just an area for sleep

Have a period of wind down time before you go to sleep - maybe with a warm shower or meditation

Masturbation (or sex with your partner)

Just a few ideas there...

• Like 4

Personally, I can't sleep without TV or some kind of background noise to draw my focus away from laying in silence and thinking for hours. So if you're the same my recommendation would be to try to have TV on if you're able to, turn it on to something not so interesting like the news or something like that (so you won't spend hours watching it, lol), close your eyes while maybe listening to the TV or whatever, and after a while you should be fast asleep!

A lot of people recommend music and stuff, though I can only fall asleep with stuff I don't feel the need to manage (turn off at some point then rest in silence, switch songs, etc...) and I also like that TV gives me something to look briefly at until I roll over rather than just look at black the whole time and keep thinking, so that's why TV mainly is what gets me to fall asleep... You can also use the "Sleep" button on your remote to turn it off automatically after like an hour. I'm weird but that's what works for me xD

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

I find despite having a very comfortable bed, and oftentimes being so tired before trying to sleep that I'm yawning uncontrollably... that I still just lay in bed for hours tossing and turning most nights.  I've tried every over-the-counter sleep aid out there, and while they do seem to make me feel more exhausted, my mind still wanders enough to keep me tossing and turning... I guess is the best way to describe it.  I think it's all because of this big, juicy brain of mine working into all hours of the night whether I want/need it to or not.

Without medicine/drugs or seeking professional help yet, I figured I'd stop here and check with the medical professionals of PSNP to see if there was anyone out there like me... and if they'd possibly have any friendly tips or tricks in this area.  A warm cup of milk before bed would work wonders perhaps?  Try sleeping on my back instead of curled up in a ball?  Go for a jog around the house three times before packing it in for the night?  Who knows what could work. ;)

Do you drink coffee, tea or soft drinks? I found cutting those out and not eating for a few hours before bed really helped. Usually it is psychological (got alot of stuff on the mind) or dietary (too much caffeine, sugar, energy rich foods too close to bed time). For the people I know with the same problem at least :)

Drink a glass of milk, switch off every light in your room and sleep in a position in which you're very comfortable. Works for me :dunno: Also avoid caffeinated drinks.

I have the TV and fan on as background noise, but I also "daydream" myself to sleep with pleasant thoughts. It's just something I've done for years and it worked almost all the time. Usually when it doesn't it's because I'm not fully tired or restless about something else.

Drinking a can of red bull before bed helps me sleep , I'm not shitting you honestly !

avoid red bull all day or any other energy drink untill 2 hours before you go to bed , drink one can only 2 hours before bed ,small can should do the trick as it will give you an energy boost when you need it but will peak out an hour later " what goes up must come down "  then make sure you empty your bladder before bed and you are good to go , sweet dreams  !

truthfully the comedown of the red bull will make you more 5 times more tired , its designed that way to make you keep buying them to stay awake :D  

Drinking a can of red bull before bed helps me sleep , I'm not shitting you honestly !

avoid red bull all day or any other energy drink untill 2 hours before you go to bed , drink one can only 2 hours before bed ,small can should do the trick as it will give you an energy boost when you need it but will peak out an hour later " what goes up must come down "  then make sure you empty your bladder before bed and you are good to go , sweet dreams  !

truthfully the comedown of the red bull will make you more 5 times more tired , its designed that way to make you keep buying them to stay awake :D  

i don't even make it to the bed sometimes , i just end up waking up on the couch with the pad in my hand and my chin on my chest !

i don't even make it to the bed sometimes , i just end up waking up on the couch with the pad in my hand and my chin on my chest !

So what you are saying is, drink a chemical drink regularly that you will eventually become dependent on and which leads to long term health issues...so that a gradually debilitating come-down will help you sleep....okay.

1. Make your sleeping area as dark as possible by covering up the windows with tinfoil or something and shutting the door when you sleep. Get a sleeping mask also if you can stand wearing it. Light will screw up your circadian rhythms.

2. Kick out all the electronics out of your sleeping area, including your phone. Get a standard alarm clock if you need to wake up at certain times, but make sure if it's digital that the numbers are red and cover the numbers when you sleep, or even get an old school analog alarm clock. Electronics that have even the smallest light, like a power indicator, can still screw you up, also removing them from your room gets rid of the temptation to check them before you sleep.

3. Set a bed time and wake time and keep it every single day, even weekends. This gets your body used to a set sleep schedule.

4. Don't eat anything right before bed, and I personally wouldn't drink anything caffeinated or energy drinks after lunch.

5. Keep your sleeping area cooler than everywhere else in your home. Your body temperature lowers when you sleep, and raising it will screw you up.

6. Set an exercise schedule and keep to it.

7. If you haven't taken melatonin yet, try that. I take it an hour before I sleep and it helps.

So what you are saying is, drink a chemical drink regularly that you will eventually become dependent on and which leads to long term health issues...so that a gradually debilitating come-down will help you sleep....okay.

Temazepam will cost you more and is highly addictive , so yes what i'm saying is try my method if you want to as a last resort before plying your body with prescription drugs ! 

This guy seems quite open to ideas and cant sleep anyways so it would not hurt to try my method , sometimes you need the "up" and red bull can certainly provide this just make sure that you allow your body time to rest for the corresponding "down" that will inevitably follow !

Chemical in red bull

Glucuronolactone: This naturally occurring chemical is found in connective tissues and plant gums. A carbohydrate, glucuronolactone is a stimulant with mild anti-depressant effects that helps improve memory and concentration. It also has detoxifying qualities and can help remove waste from the body.

This guy has tried lots of over the counter pharmaceuticals so i don't think a can of red bull will hurt

What happens is when you drink the red bull the ingredients block adenosine ( a sleep-promoting brain chemical ) which in turn makes your body release adrenaline, when the red bull and adrenaline have worn off an hour or so later a back up of adenosine kicks in !

Edited by diamlee83

Some nights my mind is like a carnival that refuses to shut the fuck up, so I often feel the need to just write and get every out of my head and onto a page. It possibly sounds stupid, but I feel like after I write my thoughts down they're no longer bouncing around my skull, and are just on the page instead. In turn, my mind feels clear and free to unwind. 

Other times if I've had a lazy day or two and fear I'll struggle to sleep, I go for a jog around my neighborhood or swimming in the evening; the exercise during the day or evening really helps me sleep easier at night.  Also, keeping the window open really helps me sleep as well.

I don't know, I have no other real advice to give you - everyone's different after all. In general, I tend to just have a cup of tea and watch a movie in bed before sleeping and that works for me, and when it doesn't I write or exercise as I stated above. 

P.S. A small glass of whiskey or the infamous sleepy pint does indeed work wonders, but is probably a bad thing to rely upon. 

• Like 1

I've been having trouble going to sleep lately because i'm on break so mostly i just sit on my ass all day and play video games, so can stay awake at least another day without feeling exhausted.

Everyone is different, when i need to get some rest and i cant go to sleep i either exercise or listen to some calm music when i lie in bed.

Red Bull, the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee full of caffeine has got to be the worst advice I've ever seen

Melatonin, though harmless as its a natural hormone does come with its side effects. This may differ per individual but it always give me a headache. A good caffeine boost like red Bull will counter the headache pretty well funnily enough

Make your bedroom a place for sleep and sex only. Your body will associate this environment with nappy time.

Avoid addictive products like sugary coca cola, alcohol and nicotine

While hard liquor will certainly put you to sleep, your body gets restless and the need for feeding the withdrawal symptoms will wake you many times during the night without even realizing it. Same story with cigarettes.

Learn to accept that when sleep doesn't come it is okay. Don't lie aimlessly in your bed for hours staring at the ceiling. Getting frustrated about it will just get your adrenaline going. Read a book or listen to some relaxing music

• Like 2

These are my suggestions:

Relaxing music

Keep a pen and paper next to your bed to write down what's on your mind

Remove any electronics from the bedroom and keep it as just an area for sleep

Have a period of wind down time before you go to sleep - maybe with a warm shower or meditation

Masturbation (or sex with your partner)

Just a few ideas there...

I do almost all of this except for the electronics parts... 

if all of those above still fail me to lull me to sleep... I:

-read a book - this one's pretty double edge sword to me... it will either make me sleepy or gets me more interested in reading and make me more awake...

-play a Visual Novel Game (this one never fail me so far) - as much as I love this type of game genre... reading the wall of text flooding the screen plus the SFX it make while it keeps on coming never fail me to lull me to sleep...