Episode 5: A Nest Of Vipers Discussion *Major Spoilers*

Saltyie

Wow

I think this has been the best episode yet, even if it did have a bit too much reliance on show characters that can't be touched. The choices (except the ending obviously) didn't seem that impactful, but I guess we'll see next episode.

I'd like to discuss the big choice first, the ending. Deciding between Asher or Rodrick was insane, and I can definitely see myself replaying episode 6 with each brother to see the outcome. Sadly, this brings concerns of the future of House Forrester, and Telltales Game of Thrones as a whole, as Telltale have never been known to keep determinent characters around for long.

I personally sacrificed Rodrik, while it did let Gryff be a little smug bitch it felt *right*, there's no history between Asher and Gryff the to make his death meaningful. I also felt that Asher had a ton of potential, and I was interested in finding out everyone's reactions to his return (lady whitehill eh?).

Alternatively, I could definitely see reasons for sacrificing Asher. Rodrik has finally gotten un-crippled, and he has the history with the whitehills in the past few episodes to make a climactic confrontation. He was also going to marry Elena, forging an alliance between Forresters and Glenmores.

What choices did you make, discuss!

Edited by Saltyie

I let Rodrick stay behind, for a few reasons. 1, the pit fighters will follow Asher. 2, Asher can still fight at peak performance. 3, Beshka would likely jumped out of my tv screen and killed me if I'd let Asher die xD . 4, I really like Asher xD

However, not sure where that leaves me and the Glenmores, now that Elena won't marry into our house, but I have hopes the pit fighters'll do their jobs. 

I was also disappointed in how short this episode was. Seemed a lot shorter, but I get that this one was just letting all the pieces fall into place for the big finally.

However, not sure where that leaves me and the Glenmores, now that Elena won't marry into our house, but I have hopes the pit fighters'll do their jobs.

True, the Glenmore opportunity is gone, but I'm wondering about Asher hooking up with Lady Glenmore to ally with the Whitehills, which would fulfilling some of the foreshadowing in episode 4 at highpoint ("Forrester and whitehills were allies, and can be again"). Pumped for ep.6 now!

While I had the same thought, could you imagine Beshka's reaction? xD

I really wanna see how it ends! But I would rather they get Tales from the Borderlands out xD I'm have such a blast with that one. I am with GoT's too, and Life is Strange... I've become addicted to episodic gaming, but hate how long episodes can take to come out! nooooo

The episode had so many great moments, I was wondering what would happen if you decided not to say that you're heading for the coast as Roderick and choose to prepare for war/defend Ryon instead but you must just end up going with the first choice. The episode ended too quickly, so exited for episode 6. It seems like there's way to much going on to end the story in one episode.

The ending was shocking, never thought tt would go that far, I choose to leave Asheur behind, which was the majority choice (70% when I played it this morning). It was sort of a rushed decision but I don't regret it, him sacrificing himself seems to make more sense for me, hearing Beskha after the gates closed was heart breaking. The whole scene was so devastating, I hate that Prick Gryff. Can't wait to see the aftermath.

Edited by SoIidWoIf

I let Rodrick stay behind, for a few reasons. 1, the pit fighters will follow Asher. 2, Asher can still fight at peak performance. 3, Beshka would likely jumped out of my tv screen and killed me if I'd let Asher die xD . 4, I really like Asher xD

I was also disappointed in how short this episode was. Seemed a lot shorter, but I get that this one was just letting all the pieces fall into place for the big finally.

Aren't most of the pit fighters dead?  I chose Asher too btw.  I agree that this episode seemed super short.  The Asher/Roderick stuff was developed, but everything else lost momentum or was uneven.  Gared's story is plain boring.

3, Beshka would likely jumped out of my tv screen and killed me if I'd let Asher die xD

This made me laugh out loud, haha. I chose Asher, too, but immediately felt bad when I thought about Elaena. I guess I don't regret it though.

Aren't most of the pit fighters dead?  I chose Asher too btw.  I agree that this episode seemed super short.  The Asher/Roderick stuff was developed, but everything else lost momentum or was uneven.  Gared's story is plain boring.

My guess is that Telltale just didn't bother to animate half of the pit fighters, so Ashers army was a band of 5 misfits. Next episode we'll hopefully see a larger amount of fighters. I agree, Gareds part is just plain slow, but I have a feeling the North Grove will save the Forresters.

Maybe there won't be a season two, and that season one will have a ton of different endings. For example, Gared could find the North Grove and help or just die. Mira could get Cersei's help and stop the whitehills from buying sellswords. Rodrik and Eleana could marry and unite two families against the whitehills, and maybe Asher and Gwyn could even marry to unite the forresters and whitehills, if she found out that they sent gryff and his men to kill him as soon as he stepped off the boat.

• Like 1

That's the thing, Asher was like "I have your army!" and Malcom was like "I can see you found your army". Even though we only seem to see a handful, I'm guessing there are more there than it looks. 

I agree with the Gared thing. It's seemed like a momentum killer for the past few episodes tbh. At least with Mira we got to see Tyrion again. 

I swear at the end I was like "Everyone's going to die, aren't they?" xD

• Like 1

I had a hard time deciding but I ended up sacrificin Asher, and I liked him better than Rodrick. But Rodrick is finally ready and he needs to be the one who avenges the family and kills the Whitehalls, all he has suffered, he has to be the one to put an end to it. But I can't wait to play the game again and make the other choice.

It'll be interesting to see how the pit fighters react, since they were only following Asher and are not loyal to the Forresters.

• Like 1

That's the thing, Asher was like "I have your army!" and Malcom was like "I can see you found your army". Even though we only seem to see a handful, I'm guessing there are more there than it looks. 

I agree with the Gared thing. It's seemed like a momentum killer for the past few episodes tbh. At least with Mira we got to see Tyrion again. 

I swear at the end I was like "Everyone's going to die, aren't they?" xD

Ha, they should just kill off everyone in the entire game in the last episode in hardcore GoT fashion.

I left Rodrick behind mainly because Asher is my favorite character of the whole series and probably one of my faves in general in any game. But was it easy choice to leave Rodrick? Hell no, I'm not ashamed to say that I teared up when I had to do it.

I did like this episode a lot and can't wait to see what's gonna happen in the grande finale.

Ha, they should just kill off everyone in the entire game in the last episode in hardcore GoT fashion.

Yeah xD George's way of saying "this is why they're not in the books and tv show. It's a side story and everyone dies." 

I left Rodrick behind mainly because Asher is my favorite character of the whole series and probably one of my faves in general in any game. But was it easy choice to leave Rodrick? Hell no, I'm not ashamed to say that I teared up when I had to do it.

I did like this episode a lot and can't wait to see what's gonna happen in the grande finale.

I was likely gonna choose Rodrick anyway, but holy fuck the things people shout when you're choosing. It was Beshka shouting "Don't you dare fucking leave me Asher! I came all the way to fucking Westeros for you!" that pushed me over the edge. I love those two characters. 

THIS EPISODE WAS BRILLIANT!!!!

Holly crap I was not expecting that.

I left Asher behind, but I totally understand people that left Rodrick, it's such a hard choice. I just think that Rodrick has more to fight for and Asher says to Beshka that she needs to defend his brother and she swears to do so. Oh and Rodrick was such a badass, barely walks and still stands up to everybody, even uses force if need be. BRILLIANT CHARACTER! oh yeh and FUCK GRIFF!!! I always show mercy to my enemies in games but god damn will that be another hard choice. It's like the Fade choice from DA:I!!!!

Also yeah, will play the game again once the last episode comes out to see what Asher does. WELL FUCKING DONE TELLTALE. 10/10.

Edited by Johnathan994
  • Like 1

All I can say is that Telltale has lots of dick moves on their sleeves. 

I honestly shouted to my TV a painful "NOT AGAIN!".

Is it just me, or are we all know by now that House Forrester can't get a break ever, and we'll end up with everyone dead? 

It just seemed right to keep Asher alive. He was in control of the pit fighters and the story felt like it was leading up to him taking over anyways. It feels wrong to do that whole story arc for him to die as soon as he got off the ship. That's just my opinion. Plus I wanted to see more of Asher and Beshka. 

Either way, it was a very tough decision. Telltale is so amazing. If only they didn't take forever to release new episodes. I'm pumped for episode 6. 

I love it. I teared up when I had to choose, as both Asher and Rodrik are easily my favourite characters in the game.

I chose Rodrik. I just felt this was something he had to do. This was something he needed to do to redeem himself for everything. To show he had balls. Even though now, after I did it, I'm thinking it wasn't the right choice. He should be the one to stab both the ♥ Gryff and Lord Whitehill. But then again if Asher survives, he has the pit fighters on his side + he could bring the Houses of Forrester and Whitehills back together if he gets back together with Gwyn ... Oh, so many possibilities. I'll probably play again and choose Asher, just cause I think both characters deserve to live, even if they live on two separate save files :D

• Like 1

I chose Rodrick to stay behind, and the choices seem to be evening out as it was 51.4% when I finished the game today.  It was very emotional and definitely the high point of the story so far.  I felt Asher was critical to the House to keep the pit fighters motivated, and also Gwyn can potentially sway the Whitehills if she is reunited with him, maybe smuggle Ryon out.  In my playthrough as well, Rodrick had slept with Eleana, so my hope is that she is pregnant, and that will create ties between Glenmore and Forrester despite them not marrying.  That was definitely the worst part of it though, the bedroom scene and Rodrick telling Eleana they would marry and no one would keep them apart, then choosing to have him die. 

• Like 1

I chose to save Rodrick, because Asher's got that I'm-Edward-Kenway-So-Punch-Me-In-The-Face quality to him, and I find it funny to have him sail all the way to Westeros to bust heads and save the day, only to have him die needlessly in his first battle home. Just like GRRM himself would likely write it.

Remember, guns don't kill people, George R.R. Martin kills people.

Sadly, I sacrificed Asher. That was the hardest decision I had to make in the entire game. I really liked Asher, but I actually think Beskha will do better without him. She was just whining and complaining most of the game, now she has a solid reason and motivation to fight and get revenge. Also, I couldn't bring myself to lose the alliance with the Glenmores and undo all the hard work of keeping Elena around, even after Rodrik was nearly incapacitated. Plus, Elena lost Arthur at the beginning of the episode. Couldn't have her lose Rodrik at the end.

Plus, I just think Rodrik needs to end this. I have had him act so defiant to the Whitehills at this point. Asher fulfilled his duty admirably. He got an army, brought it back with him, and then sacrificed himself for the cause. It made sense to kill him off because his mission was complete. Rodrik has unfinished business, especially with Gryff.

And Mira has been totally useless for me. I didn't intend for it to be that way. I just made horrible choice after horrible choice, so I doubt I get any aid from Cersei,

One thing I wonder about is if we get to play as Malcolm in the final episode. He has earned Danaerys's trust and alliance, even if the pit fighters fail to fight for Rodrik. And since the actual choices were about 50-50 on Rodrik staying behind vs Asher, that's one less playable character, giving the final episode a totally different dynamic. So I just wonder if the set up is Rodrik/Asher dies at the beginning of episode 6, and you finish off as Malcolm, coming in with Danaerys's dragon and saving the day when all seems lost. That may be farfetched, but it's a thought I had. And I am curious to find out what his mission from Danaerys is all about, since he never did tell Asher.