A new Hard drive

UPAxGUNxGRAVE

Instead of 'hard drive', you typed 'hard rice'. You did it twice, in fact.

All rice aside, it's impossible to know if that will fit unless you know the exact specs of the drive itself.

EDIT: I just looked it up, and it looks to me that the hard drive you linked will not work because it is a SATA drive and PS4s require a SATA II drive.

Edited by MrSwagtwiceover

Short answer: No

Long answer:

PS4 requires a 2.5 inch form factor HDD (typically called a "Laptop" drive).

You linked a Seagate STBD2000101 "Desktop" HDD. In general desktop HDD are 3.5 inch form factor.

Here is a link to PlayStations official HDD upgrade info.

Only the following type of hard disk drive (HDD) is officially supported with the PS4:

• 2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer)
  • Serial ATA (Parallel ATA is not supported)

Here is a link to the 2.5 inch version of what you were looking at from BestBuy.

Edited by jasynergy

That seems expensive. You can find basically the same drive in Seagate's external hard drives. Make sure you buy the "portable" one, not the "desktop" one.

Just open the plastic casing (carefully!) and pop the drive out, and you've got a 2TB drive for less $$$.

That seems expensive. You can find basically the same drive in Seagate's external hard drives. Make sure you buy the "portable" one, not the "desktop" one.

Just open the plastic casing (carefully!) and pop the drive out, and you've got a 2TB drive for less $$$.

Yeah I was not price shopping for the guy just showing him which is the right one.

As you stated the most cost effective will be to crack open an external enclosure.

Check this one out. ($80)

Also watch this:

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I did a quick search and there were already tons of topics about this matter so I didn't feel te need to add a new one.

It happened: my hard drive is full. So I'm gonna upgrade my original 500GB hard drive, but there's so much to choose from. After a while I found the "Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation" at 125 euro for 1TB (SSHD) or 140 euro for the 2TB (HDD) model. For the minor price difference, I'm gonna pick the 2TB model. I've honestly scratched my head when I saw the size that recent games have so you can't have too much space in my opinion. But since their '2TB BarraCuda' (HDD) is priced 30 euros cheaper and has the same specs, is the 'Game Drive' any different than the regular hard drive or is it just a fancier name for the same drive? 

Edit: I know about the new firmware update and the external storage compatibility, but that's no option for me.

Edited by Cellcrash1991
added additional information.