Rise of the Tomb Raider - Coming to PS4 and PC

madbuk

Rise of the Tomb Raider will launch for PC (Windows 10) via Steam in early 2016 and for PlayStation 4 in holiday 2016, Square Enix announced.

The game will premiere first for Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10, this year. The PlayStation 4 version will arrive one year after its initial launch.

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/rise-tomb-raider-coming-pc-early-2016-ps4-holiday-2016

I dunno if I'll wait that long - I own a 360, so I may just get it on that and then get it again on PS4 - but it is nice to FINALLY have a confirmation. I assume this means November 10 for PS4?

Edited by madbuk

One year exclusivity is way too long for anyone to wait (if they have both consoles). MS had a good strategical move with this, even though the game will be sold on both consoles eventually, whoever wants to play it ASAP won't wait that long for the PS4 release unless they have no other option.

Good thing is, whoever doesn't care that much to get it near launch and/or who doesn't have both consoles, should get a glitchless, improved PS4 version one year down the road.

I hope.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 2

Timed exclusives are dumb to begin with. Who is going to buy a new console just to play a game a few months earlier?

I don't know about everyone else but I will happily wait for it to come to the console I own. It's not like there's a shortage of games to play...

• Like 4

Wow, really didn't think this would happen.

It was obvious from Microsoft's wording that this would come to PS4 and PC at some point. The only thing that people didn't know was when it would be coming.

Edit: Of course you could have just been being sarcastic :P

Edited by sp483

One year exclusivity is way too long for anyone to wait (if they have both consoles). MS had a good strategical move with this, even though the game will be sold on both consoles eventually, whoever wants to play it ASAP won't wait that long for the PS4 release unless they have no other option.

Good thing is, whoever doesn't care that much to get it near launch and/or who doesn't have both consoles, should get a glitchless, improved PS4 version one year down the road.

I hope.

I don't think it's a 1 year exclusive deal. Due to the fact the PC version is releasing so soon, this seems like the deal ends "early 2016" but they're delaying it because they don't want to compete with Uncharted, which is also early 2016.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

I dunno if I'll wait that long - I own a 360, so I may just get it on that and then get it again on PS4 - but it is nice to FINALLY have a confirmation. I assume this means November 10 for PS4?

Depending on the kind of player you are, maybe your best bet would be to wait for a slight price drop on the 360 version and still get it for the ps4? This way you will already have a good understanding of how the game works and still reap whatever bonus Sony might bring to their version.

I honestly don't have a choice but to wait lol. If it's not coming to PS3 then I can't do much about it. Maybe by the time it comes out for the PS4 I'll have bought one though...I just don't expect to play on it as much as my PS3. (I'm still holding out for the slightest chance that there will be a KHIII or Uncharted edition of the PS4...)

I have a few games I'm playing at the moment, Styx, Driveclub, Sleeping Dogs, Arkham Knight and Lords of The Fallen, not even started all of them. I have a few games that have been around a while now I have yet to play, like Shadow of Mordor and TLoU, and games on the way over the next few months like Fallout. So I really don't care that I'll have to wait for this, I have plenty to keep me busy, more than enough in fact. They can push it back even further if they want  :P

• Like 1

I hope.

I hope for this too. I really wanna play this game, but not gonna buy Xbox One because of it. I can wait.

They could have kept it exclusive to Xbox One for all I care. I mean cmon, we're spoilt when it comes to exclusives, let Microsoft have this one! :P

Seriously though I knew this would happen, SE has been hinting that it's a timed exclusive since it was announced, long time to wait though. 

Ok, I just looked it up. November 14, 1996 was the North American release date of Tomb Raider on PlayStation. So, I'd bet November 14, 2016 will be the release date we get for this one.

Ever since Anniversary, I had been kind of hoping for a remake of Tomb Raider II in the style of Legend/Anniversary/Underworld for the 20th anniversary. Was kind of upset when the reboot came, but still hoped for it :(

A new Lara Croft game would be a great way to celebrate the 20th too.

But a delayed game as the celebration? ugh.

It worked fine with GTA. The PS3SS+GTA5 bundle was a goldmine.

Sure, but I mean timed exclusives. The people who bought that bundle probably didn't already own an Xbox 360 as it was available at the same time for both systems. Rockstar hadn't announced a PC or "Next Gen" version at that time so I'm sure that a lot of those people didn't know if there was going to be another way to play it. The difference with this is that we know for a fact that we'll be able to play it on different systems, it's just a question of how long you're willing to wait. In reality, we don't even have to wait for that long. Especially if you compare it to the wait for the PC version of GTA5.