Rise of the Tomb Raider - Coming to PS4 and PC

madbuk

Keeping the Console Wars fanboyism to a minimum, I think this whole thing is an incredibly silly decision for Microsoft.

They've paid $40 Million (IIRC) to make ROTTR a timed exclusive. This was most likely done to rival Uncharted 4's Holiday release before it got delayed, as Xbone has no game in a similar vein to Uncharted. Now that Uncharted has skipped off to 2016, Tomb Raider is left with the behemoth that'll refuse to share sales - Fallout 4, while not everyone's cup of tea, it is undeniably going to leave a huge impact sales wise for other games in November. 

So bottom line, Microsoft has paid however much to advertise a game as an exclusive, when a year later, the same game will probably sell better on the competitors console. Hopefully all this controversy deters them from ever making a decision like this again.

• Like 3

This was announced a while ago, coming to PS/PC that is, and while I'm happy we're getting it, I'm still none too amused with SE over this debacle.   Ok, MS threw money at them, I get it, but given the PS fanbase and the fact that TR was only really a success due to PS sales, well, it's still a bit rubbish.

A year down the line is a long time, but there was talk of TR2 releasing on PS4 at a reduced price, I hope that is true, because if they think I'm paying full price for a year old game...  Only silver lining is that we'll probably get a well patched, smooth running Def Ed with whatever dlc, or at least we should...                                                                                                                                                                    

And still the PS4 version will be the most best selling one and probably the one that looks and plays better.

On the PS2 era, the Gamecube version of Resident evil 4 at least looked better and had slightly shorter loading times.

I don't think it's a 1 year exclusive deal. Due to the fact the PC version is releasing so soon, this seems like the deal ends "early 2016" but they're delaying it because they don't want to compete with Uncharted, which is also early 2016.

Well, Windows = Microsoft, so there's that. They want the Xbone to get the front row, then after christmas when the game industry is in hibernation, Windows may come in.

I though the time-exclusive deal would last much longer.

Yeah, I was expecting something like Mass effect (1).

Well, Windows = Microsoft, so there's that. They want the Xbone to get the front row, then after christmas when the game industry is in hibernation, Windows may come in.

SE made the game dead anyway. Anyone who was considering the X1 for TR will just wait for the steam or PS4 version. They should have given the release date for the PC version right around or just after U4 then talk about the PS4 version after.

Edited by 3DS Master Race

It's not like I was going to have time to play it this year anyways with Fallout 4, MGS5, Battlefront, and maybe No Man's Sky coming out around that time. I think it comes out the same day as Fallout 4 on Xbox. 

Edited by Lilseb93
  • Like 1

On the PS2 era, the Gamecube version of Resident evil 4 at least looked better and had slightly shorter loading times.

Ok? but still the Gamecube was a fail and the PS2 became one of the best selling console of all time, and right now the PS4 is the most powerful one and the one that's selling better worldwide.

Edited by Finozzi1696

they'd have to be complete and utter idiots not to release it on ps4 and PC. That'd severely cut the revenue they could have gained, and the amount of money Microsoft paid them for the timed exclusivity wouldn't cover the lost income.  So, I'm not surprised by this... since we knew it was coming eventually. 

Edited by KratosTheMighty

Positives: If it sucks on XBone, then we'll have the pleasure of reviews in advance and wont waste our money. The devs will have the opportunity to patch it up before PS4 release if there are any bugs, which I hope they will.

Negatives: We have to wait a year if it's really good.

But if they try and launch it at full price on PS4, when the XBone release will have dropped to around 1/2 price, then no sale. Sorry, but if you're going to f*** the majority of your customers (sorry, M$ & Squeenix, but there are just more of us PS4 owners out here) then I'm going to f*** you right back by not paying more than is demanded of another group of players.