Trophy Tips

Sly Ripper

Added some tips and whatnot.

Editing would be good, methinks, although it's a double-edged sword - currently, you have to be very careful and put a lot of thought in before you submit your tip. This is a good thing.

1,000 character limit is a little on the low side. Maybe ones over 1,000 chars could be moderated rather than being added straight away? Then there's no hard limit but it prevents ten million characters of dross being posted.

• Like 1

Still not keen on only being able to add tips to trophies that are connected with your one account. Guess I'll have to hand my tips under the table for someone else to add.

I gotta think it's better off this way. It's the only way to guarantee with any kind of accuracy whether or not someone actually knows how to get the trophy before they post.

It leads to less tips overall, but it means Sly and the community don't have to moderate them as much.

I gotta think it's better off this way. It's the only way to guarantee with any kind of accuracy whether or not someone actually knows how to get the trophy before they post.

It leads to less tips overall, but it means Sly and the community don't have to moderate them as much.

Still, maybe as a Premium Member feature? They'll be more likely to not be spamming tips everywhere.

I can't say I would be entirely opposed to making it a Premium feature, but that's really up to Sly. Considering he's the mastermind behind the "you need to actually get the trophy before you can tell others how to get it" rule, something tells me he wouldn't quickly disregard it for the few people swayed to give him $4 as a result of it.

But you never know.

I can't say I would be entirely opposed to making it a Premium feature, but that's really up to Sly. Considering he's the mastermind behind the "you need to actually get the trophy before you can tell others how to get it" rule, something tells me he wouldn't quickly disregard it for the few people swayed to give him $4 as a result of it.

But you never know.

Premium are $10, but agree with not allowing premium write a trophy tip, if they haven't earn it

Editing will come in time, edits will have to be put into a moderation queue to stop abuse such as making a good tip which gets good votes and then editing it to say something irrelevant.

Will the ability to delete your own tips be available in the future?

• 1 month later...

Just a thought in terms of editing tips, maybe just give the user a day or two buffer after posting the tip? That way they can't come back a month later and change their highly rated tip into something stupid... but if there's a mistake or something that needs to be clarified the user has an opportunity to make changes.

Seems like an ideal compromise to me. :yay:

• Like 1

1000 word limit is too small. I have posted tips for Star Ocean Chaos Speedrun, but the limit prevent me put in some additional helpful tips.

maybe you could make a thread on here in the game's forum for the tips, then link it in the tip possibly?

I personally wouldn't like to see that become a habit for trophy tips. Especially if they only need a couple hundred more characters to clarify a few things.

well, it depends on the size...i bring this up because i also wanted to add some tips for Star Ocean trophies, like a complete quest/treasure list, but those are wayyyy too long, so i thought of possibly doing that if it might work. it all depends on how much you want to add. it would be nice to see the character limit expanded, but for things like those long lists and walkthroughs and such, i think this might be a better option.

..of course, that doesnt mean for every trophy on every game, just for say a walkthrough of the hardest difficulty on a game, a complete list of collectibles and locations, etc.

Yeah, I think the idea has it's uses if done right. I wonder Sly's thoughts on it though because turning the games subforum into a mountain of guides and tips smells of trouble to me. Especially since those users writing them would pretty much be claiming ownership of those particular trophies, something the trophy tip system is doing everything it can to avoid.

Also, I agree that we should allow some kind of editing our tips. I found a couple of typos in my tips, but I couldn't really do anything.

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

well, it depends on the size...i bring this up because i also wanted to add some tips for Star Ocean trophies, like a complete quest/treasure list, but those are wayyyy too long, so i thought of possibly doing that if it might work. it all depends on how much you want to add. it would be nice to see the character limit expanded, but for things like those long lists and walkthroughs and such, i think this might be a better option.

..of course, that doesnt mean for every trophy on every game, just for say a walkthrough of the hardest difficulty on a game, a complete list of collectibles and locations, etc.

The less words used to relay the correct answer, the better.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

I personally wouldn't like to see that become a habit for trophy tips. Especially if they only need a couple hundred more characters to clarify a few things.

No wonder why 1000 words seemed so short. On topic, there are a lot of trophies, especially the RPG's ones, required much more than 1000 characters to explain. What I posted for the speedrun was just a third of what I had in mind.

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

The less words used to relay the correct answer, the better.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

is that possible? i may just be totally lying here, but i remember talking to sly about linking youtube videos and such in tips, and he did say in some fashion that links to threads on this site should work....if they do then that is even better than making a guide yourself on here I'd say