Trophy Tips

Sly Ripper

The less words used to relay the correct answer, the better.

I've found myself having to cut down my tips quite a bit to fit in the 1000 character limit... and those weren't even particularly complicated trophies. I could imagine trying to write something a bit more complicated (but not enough to warrant a video or a walkthrough) would be quite the hassle. I think it could stand a bump up to maybe 1500 or even 2000 characters personally.

It would be a shame if people got in the habit of just linking to other sites.

is that possible? i may just be totally lying here, but i remember talking to sly about linking youtube videos and such in tips, and he did say in some fashion that links to threads on this site should work....if they do then that is even better than making a guide yourself on here I'd say

The YouTube videos currently aren't embedded in tips, but there's nothing stopping you from posting a hyperlink to an external site.

It would be a shame if people got in the habit of just linking to other sites.

It's call the 'internet' for a reason, websites aren't walled gardens. External links to similar resources such as YT videos or walkthroughs saves replicating the info here, particularly if it doesn't fit within the Trophy Tips philosophy.

In the end, the differentiation between PSNP and PS3T is we're here for the Profiles more than the Trophy Guides. Trophy Tips is a less resource-intensive way of fulfilling the latter without the mess and politics.

• Like 1

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

Agreed

I just got the plat for RE5, am waiting for my next trophy update, then I'll make sure to fill in the trophy tips for the ones I got, gives me a good chance to experiment with the systems capabilities so I can point out possible bugs and brainstorm more ideas for the future. :thumbsup:

I PM'd Sly after posting some rubbish in a KZ2 tip and he confirmed an editing system will roll out in time.

Trophy guides aren't intended to be walkthroughs. If a trophy needs a walkthrough, it's easy enough to post a link to GameFAQs or YouTube.

Yes Youtube works but say it is a collectable trophy, it is annoying when it is a 10 minute youtube video and you have to jump around trying to find the item you are looking for.

This is why I never use videos in my guides because like I said I would rather just look at the description of where to find the item than have to watch a 10 minute video.

I am really not sold on the tips idea and also if you are trying to attract more people to the site this is not the way to go about it. People looking for trophies are going to go to the site with the guide over the site with random tips.

I am really not sold on the tips idea and also if you are trying to attract more people to the site this is not the way to go about it. People looking for trophies are going to go to the site with the guide over the site with random tips.

The difference between the tip system and guide system is mainly that tips are open to anyone who has earned the trophy while guides are limited by post count and whoever calls it. The fact that there are "random" tips has less to do with the system and more to do with simply the user base. Not a lot of members yet, and not a lot of members posting tips. We can really only blame ourselves for that.

The only reason guides pump out more product than tips is because it is forced. You have 30 so or however many days to complete a guide, or else you're put on probation or lose guide-writing privileges or whatever. A punishment is imposed, whereas tips give you more freedom. It really all boils down to member motivation.

I can, however, vouch for more character space for tips.

• Like 1

If a game has tips for every trophy, and the best tips are voted to the top... then you go here:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/Borderlands

What's the difference between it and a traditional 'trophy guide'?

If a game has tips for every trophy, and the best tips are voted to the top... then you go here:

http://psnprofiles.c...ide/Borderlands

What's the difference between it and a traditional 'trophy guide'?

It is fine if people like the tip sections, that is great. I just know that a lot of people find sites like .com and .org because they are looking for help with trophies. Why would I go to a site where i can only get help with a couple of trophies as opposed to a site where I can get help with the whole thing.

I am not trying to start an argument but that is the way I see it.

It is fine if people like the tip sections, that is great. I just know that a lot of people find sites like .com and .org because they are looking for help with trophies. Why would I go to a site where i can only get help with a couple of trophies as opposed to a site where I can get help with the whole thing.

Like I said, your beef is essentially with the members of this site, or lack thereof, not the system, because that's ultimately the reason why we don't have tips for everything.

Like I said, your beef is essentially with the members of this site, or lack thereof, not the system, because that's ultimately the reason why we don't have tips for everything.

Once more it is with the system, but as I repeated it is fine if others like it. I like guides for simple reason is they map out the route to a platinum. If this site could institute a way of making sure Missable trophies are highlighted at the top, or in what order the trophies should be earned in then that is fine.

But what happens if you are playing the game and then look at a tip that is further down the list (due to order listed on the xmb) and that trophy is missable, well that is annoying because you now have to get it on another playthrough.

In a guide though that trophy would have been listed at the top of the guide so you would know to look out for it. See what I mean.

This isn't a trophy guide based site from the beginning, sly never wanted that. It is more revolved around Stats and trophy tracking which by far does way better than any other site Ive been to, and how long have the site been around???? LOL

The way other sites do guides is a bit of an exaggeration IMO, I mean do I really need to list videos, and a lot of details of the best locations to farm kills, points etc....??? Not really, but people prefer it that way, cause they are too lazy and rely too much on guides to try to hunt for a trophy on their on. If a trophy says "Complete Chapter 1" are you really gonna need a guide for that. I've seen some guides that walk you through the chapter and point out things that are irreverent to the trophy for that chapter. all for the sake of getting more views and just looking fat, big and thorough as a guide which IMO is quite unnecessary. If someone gets told what to exactly do in order to get a trophy, then in my book thats not trophy hunting, because you just followed instructions and didn't put in your own efforts.

Tips on the other hand give you suggestions of what you COULD do, and the more tips there are the more are your options of what road you would take in trying to get that trophy. And with everyone capable of writing tips, that means it won't be like with some guides where the writer will put in a description and not bother update it later or fix it with better info. where the tip system makes that possible by simply adding your own updated tip or giving the not-so-accurate tip a -1 provided it does deserve it and ppl aren't being ♥s and abusing a perfectly excellent system.

Once more it is with the system, but as I repeated it is fine if others like it. I like guides for simple reason is they map out the route to a platinum. If this site could institute a way of making sure Missable trophies are highlighted at the top, or in what order the trophies should be earned in then that is fine.

In the case of lack of a trophy overview, then yes, your problem is with the system. To be fair though, you didn't mention that until just now. You emphasized the lack of tips, so my understanding of what you said isn't without reason.

But what happens if you are playing the game and then look at a tip that is further down the list (due to order listed on the xmb) and that trophy is missable, well that is annoying because you now have to get it on another playthrough.

In a guide though that trophy would have been listed at the top of the guide so you would know to look out for it. See what I mean.

If a trophy is missable, odds are a good tip will mention it. If there are multiple tips, odds are one of them will mention it.

Is it more convenient to have some important details pulled to the top? Of course. Is it a flaw in this system that it doesn't have that? I don't believe so. That extra second or two it actually takes to look through the tips before playing through a game (if the trophies are important to you) for important keywords isn't a deal-breaker to me... and it's a small price to pay for a more user-driven system.

I understand what you are saying, about why would you go to a site with a guide, instead of a site that can only offer you help with a few trophies, but who uses a whole guide? When I use a guide I only use it for a few trophies, at least this way only the trophies that people are looking for help with will get a tip, but we don't have enough members yet for this to be watertight.

• Like 2

I have to admit, AF, you have some good points. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the Tip system at first as I was used to the spoon-feeding of a traditional guide. The more I look things over and see the Tips develop, the more I like it. I do wish there was the ability to incorporate a "roadmap" of sorts to highlight special circumstances and such but, in time i'm sure i'll learn to get by without it.

This is definitely the BEST site for tracking trophies, stats, etc...

I wouldn't mind getting an official answer on this.

Are YouTube videos allowed to be posted as tips? For example, if I wanted to collect all of the Uncharted 1 treasure finding videos (one for each chapter) and make up a tip... would there be any problem with that?

I don't expect the videos to actually appear or anything, but simple hyperlinks would get the job done. Like this:

Chapter 1: Link to YouTube Video

Chapter 2: Link to YouTube Video

Chapter 3: Link to YouTube Video

Chapter 4: Link to YouTube Video

Chapter 5: Link to YouTube Video

... and so on.

Sorry Mayus,

I dont want to come across as an ass, but that is nonsense. Plenty of people have made the trip to the site already, before even knowing about the tips system. It is a "unique" selling point of the site that helps it stand out from sites that have bloated self ego masturbating guides that can often ruin what is coming up for someone playing the game.

I for one am sick of looking at guides for a particular trophy that is pestering me, and have to read the following:

"If you are as awesome as me, you should get it first time."

Obviously, I'm not as good as you, which is why I'm reading your f**king guide...

On top of this, you then need some kind of "quality" benchmark which requires an appointed number of people to oversee. Although not always the case, you then end up with a little sh*tstick who thinks he is better than half of the site and wants to apply his rules to all guides because he is that much better than everyone else... this leads to members complaining, which leads to drama, which leads to the dark side.

OK, maybe not the very last bit. The tips work, because it doesnt ruin the game for anyone that needs more than that one tip, it doesnt need anymore staff than we already have to govern, and finally it enables any single member to contribute to the site, not just the best games going to the preferred writers.

The final comment is not directed at you Mayus, but far too many people are comparing this site to ps3t.org, .co.uk & .com. I cant speak for the bloke, but Sly stated at the very beginning this site is about something else.

If he wanted to stick with that formula do you honestly not think he wouldnt have already gone to one of those established sites with their established user bases and put his ideas towards them for all the great things we have here? Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have bitten his hand off for these features.

PSNP is completely different to the "guide" forums. If you want guides, go to those sites, if you want sleek, professional stat tracking that is designed for those of you who love counting your shiny icons, with a great tips system come here. It doesnt have to be one or the other, it's not like religion. Jesus I'm a sh*te gamer in comparison to most of you, but I still love seeing those downward graphs on my page, and the charts showing that I really do prefer bronze over platinum.

Stop the comparisons people, PSNP is like the second coming of Jesus!!! :P

**AF removes his tongue from Sly's arse and steps off his soapbox.**

this will be considered spam, i know, sorry..but i love you. :wub:

• Like 1