Desktop or laptop?

Zenpai

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer? Desktop or laptop computers?

Desktop computers have the advantage of being more suited for gaming, heating a lot less and having the ability to be upgraded a lot more easily, but they also occupy a lot more space and are also a lot more expensive.

Personally, even though my main PC right now is a desktop computer, I prefer laptops - the fact that they're a lot more compact, portable and have (nearly) all components bundled up in a single machine is extremely convenient. Sure, they're not the best for gaming, but I only play my old classics, so it's not that big a deal for me. They also do heat up a lot more easily, but nothing a laptop cooler won't fix.

Some might also like tablets as their main machine, since they're more easily carried anywhere.

What do you guys prefer?

Personally I like laptops better.

I don't have a need for anything heavy duty. As long as I can youtube, email, and type notes down I'm good. I even bought a laptop that doesn't have a DVD/Blu Ray player. 

I can also take the thing with me anywhere in the apartment. I don't have any heating issues as of yet...but it is only 1.5 years old and honestly I could see me using it for a long time unless it get's damaged externally. 

Combine AMD Athlon X4 860 (~80€) with an AMD Radeon R7 360 (~120€) and you have a cheap base that would be enough for everyone who isnt infected with masterracism. It would be possible even cheaper too, with AMD A10-7800 (~130€) and without dedicated gfxcard, but, the jump to the previous mentioned combi is high in performance but tiny in price.

... Or at least for me. My laptop is from 2008 or something like that. Im playing Starcraft2, Cities Skylines, Sims3, SimCity, Anno 2070, other pcstuff.... Personally i wanted to go with a tablet next, but Blizzard announced Starcraft2 Legacy of the Void, and Ubisoft announced Anno2205, so i will go with the combination mentioned in the first line...

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

It all depends on what you're using it for, i have a  2000$ PC which i use for gaming and stuff like that. And then i have a normal laptop which i used for school but now i use it for watching movies or anime when im on bed. Or when im going on vacation.

So yhea i dont really know what i prefer the most as i both use it for different things.

Definitely prefer laptops, I like being able to drag it around the countryside with me lol. Also doesn't take up space and I can pack it up and put it away.

Though I like iPads too especially when playing games.

Edited by feral611

I prefer my desktop, mostly because I hate the trackpad mouse.  Can't get any development work done on that shit.  It is nice that it's portable though, and has pretty solid battery life.

I just wish my desktop didn't eat so much more wattage than probably my laptop, the PS3 and the PS4 combined.  Also makes my PC room about 30 degrees hotter than all the others.  Which is awesome in the dead of summer.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 2

I prefer my desktop, mostly because I hate the trackpad mouse.  Can't get any development work done on that shit.  It is nice that it's portable though, and has pretty solid battery life.

I just wish my desktop didn't eat so much more wattage than probably my laptop, the PS3 and the PS4 combined.  Also makes my PC room about 30 degrees hotter than all the others.  Which is awesome in the dead of summer.

Haha yeah i hear you, i think mine is up there in the 700w region, and i can sit in my office wearing a flower necklace and drinking a cocktail it gets so hot sometimes :P

But you gotta love the sheer power, just for that, desktop all the way!

• Like 1

Both. I think a Desktop is nice when you need power for doing work stuff. Since I'm almost an architect, I know how useful a Desktop PC is; you'll have so much more power, you'll make your renders easier and faster, not talking about how many software you can have opened at the same time.

On the other hand, I love my laptop because it's portable, and I can do quick and useful stuff everywhere: my bed, my desk, at Starbucks, at college... etc.

So it depends on your needs what's the best for you.

So bad that MAC doesn't allow software I need to make renders, but overall, it's ok.

• Like 1

I went through two dozen different laptop models from 1995 through 2008, then landed on my 2008 15" Macbook Pro. Loved it for it's weight, power and size. It died last week and since I'm on a budget, picked up a 2014 Mac Mini.

I also received my first PC in 1997 (Pentium 1 166 MMX!!), which I subsequently upgraded the crap out of. I built about a dozen new desktops (counting each new motherboard as a new desktop) and finally got out of that vicious cycle in 2006.

I prefer the laptop for somethings and prefer the desktop for other things. Luckily I still have access to another laptop and I don't have to choose!

I'm so glad THE WORLD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BINARY! It's okay to prefer both!

• Like 1