Desktop or laptop?

Zenpai

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Desktop. I hate the track pad and that the trackpad gets warm. I also hate the feel of the keys on a laptop. I need a good solid Keyboard with a nice mouse. Also, I cant really do much with laptops when it comes to work.Which I do often in it. I do have to admit that for trivial things like Watching movies ive been using my laptop more often and for internet Ive been using my tablet. If I had to chose one of them though, I would have to go with my PC.

I'm in the opposite spot of the thread starter. My main computer is a Macbook pro 15" 2010 (managed to get a 2011 MBP 17" with antiglare screen recently gigglygigglygiggly..!!!) and that is the best computer I have ever owned.

But I prefer desktops. The precision, the power, the ergonomics..! (a desktop (hehu) for the purpose, a good chair, a screen in the right position)

I have never really taken laptops to my heart, despite they have served me well now for almost 6 years.

My first PC was a second hand Olivetti around 1995 I think. Pentium 50 MHz, 12 MB RAM, 200MB harddrive. Hardcore. It hadWindows for workgroups 3.11. Later my brother-in-law installed Windows 95 on it. This is the only computer I've had that I do not have anymore. I think it broke in the end.

My second was a new IBM Aptiva autumn 1999. AMD K6-2 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 8GB harddrive. Windows 98. There's a long story around this machine that I might write later.

Third one came 2003. Custom, built by the shop. Pentium 4 2,4GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB harddrive, Geforce 4400 Ti (broke after failed water cooling, got a Radeon 9600XT to replace it). Windows 2000 (mmm...)

Fourth computer was a progressively upgrade of the third until I had replaced every part and had two separate computers. And this is the latest desktop computer. It was completed in 2007. Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2GB RAM, WesternDigital Raptor 74GB 1000RPM, Radeon X850XT PE. Running Windows XP. This was a little dream finally coming true. I fitted the chassis with sound deadening (correct translate?) foam rubber and top of the line air coolers from Zalman. It's heavy as heck.

Then things happened. I moved pretty far and couldn't bring the computer with me, but I needed something. So I got a second hand iBook (previous name for Macbook). 12" screen, PowerPC G4 1,2 GHz, 40GB harddrive, don't remember the RAM. I loved that thing. This was another dream coming true after wanting a Mac for a decade. I finally got to acquaint myself with Mac OS X. I met Itunes. And it was all fantastic. This was a whole new world of computing! 

Mac OS X Tiger was awesome, my favourite operating system of all time.

After a realtively short while I got back and got back to my desktop again. Then I moved again and used my iBook again. After 1½ I got back again. Shortly after, late summer 2011, I bought the computer I am now using. Use of my desktop faded quickly.

I'm waiting for AMD Zen and Greenland coming next year. Then I will finally get a real powerhouse and be able to play new games and work for Folding@home again, replacing my old sturdy crate containing an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and Radeon X850 XT PE :D

Both. I think a Desktop is nice when you need power for doing work stuff. Since I'm almost an architect, I know how useful a Desktop PC is; you'll have so much more power, you'll make your renders easier and faster, not talking about how many software you can have opened at the same time.

On the other hand, I love my laptop because it's portable, and I can do quick and useful stuff everywhere: my bed, my desk, at Starbucks, at college... etc.

So it depends on your needs what's the best for you.

So bad that MAC doesn't allow software I need to make renders, but overall, it's ok.

What do you use to render?

But yeah, I hear you. The whole "desktop publishing" that has been the solid basis for Mac, and actually production software overall, has severely diminished on Mac.
The Mac platform has turned into a stationary peripheral for the Iphone.

Too bad that Windows is even crappier nowadays.

I still grieve over the grand peak of the desktop operating systems, which was 2009. Snow leopard and Windows 7. I still run them both.
After that everything have conformed to smartphones and their dumb nature of just running one thing at a time and just consuming content, and not producing. I remember the patents of 3D operating systems, that looked soo cool! Instead it all got dumbed down.

I went through two dozen different laptop models from 1995 through 2008, then landed on my 2008 15" Macbook Pro. Loved it for it's weight, power and size. It died last week and since I'm on a budget, picked up a 2014 Mac Mini.

I also received my first PC in 1997 (Pentium 1 166 MMX!!), which I subsequently upgraded the crap out of. I built about a dozen new desktops (counting each new motherboard as a new desktop) and finally got out of that vicious cycle in 2006.

I prefer the laptop for somethings and prefer the desktop for other things. Luckily I still have access to another laptop and I don't have to choose!

I'm so glad THE WORLD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BINARY! It's okay to prefer both!

My condolences. Those Macbook pros where the best laptops ever made. You could get a second hand for a good price.

Those Macbook pros where the best laptops ever made. You could get a second hand for a good price.

In time, I'll get another. I'm really hoping at some point Apple does another 17" MacbookPro. My lifestyle has changed rapidly over the last half decade and don't think I'd quite get the use out of a laptop right now, especially when I still have access to a Macbook if I need access at any time right now.

I HATE that my desktop sits in one spot, I have to go to it when I want to use it. Makes me evaluate whether I need to even go to my desktop for stuff or if I should just let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what you need it for.

For Gaming, video rendering, etc... you need a desktop with a physical, dedicated graphics card.

For almost everything else, a laptop will do and will save on space and can be used anywhere in the house or office, definitely a convenience.

I guess if you have some extra money laying around that you don't need and feel like wasting it, you can get a tablet and hope your kids don't break it...

• 2 weeks later...

Like Matto_isi said, it really depends.

although there's pretty good gaming laptops, one of my friends have gaming laptop much better than my desktop of alienware.

I think Laptop is good for people who are seldom at home and want computer that will be with them all the time.

For me, someone who is most of the time home (besides studying and stuff) it's better a desktop.

the two of them are good but it depends :)

Edited by Kuassari

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what the users needs are.

Laptop are good for portability,school,and work. Gaming Laptops are not the way to go as it is expensive and overheat faster compares to desktop.

If your planning to on gaming with good fps and settings then your way to go is a desktop.

Built over bought.

if you are on a saving budget never buy from ibuypower,alienware,origin,etc. JUST BUILT IT!

JUST BUILT IT!

Edited by Mugi Brawler

• 4 weeks later...