Rainbow Moon

AnRoDr

I wanted to try a JRPG for a long time now and I've finally decided on Rainbow Moon for the VITA. As I'm about to leave on a 3 week holiday it seemed like a good choice.

Not sure if I'll ever obtain the platinum, but as long as I can enjoy the game for a good amount of time that's not an issue.

Could not find much here on the forum about the game, so are there any players or fans of the game here?

Any tips for a starting player? :D

I played a lot of the game until my PLUS subscription ran out, it's a fun grindfest, but the Story is as lacking as it gets, it would not have been my choice to introduce anyone into JRPG's since one of the best things about this genre is the Story of its games, as for tips remember this is a grindfest, so you'll need to farm enemies quite a lot for some bosses, also try to always buy the skills for your party, especially the AOE's, they'll come in handy when you face a Boos with 30 sidekicks.

• Like 1

hmmm... beginner tips:

-IIRC there is a free DLC called Beginner Kit or something... freebies are always good for beginners...

-IMO the best and most Impt stat in this game is speed. I recommend to always put your Rainbow Pearls in speed stat.

-you may also want to always use skills instead of regular attacks... Skills attack and effective gets stronger the more often you use them... also if used a number of times, you can skip it's animation...

hmmm.. that's what I can think of so far... will add if I recalled something...ooh.. btw.. expect a looot of walking in map... 

Edited by JeieeM
  • Like 3

Enjoy the game and don't pay too much attention at trophies as most of them will come in the post-game according to guide.

As for the game, imo if you don't like the mechanics it becomes rapidly boring. Story isn't that mind-blowing either.

By the way, it's not a JRPG, it was developed on Europe as far as I know. Just wanted to clear that out. It plays somewhat similar to Fire Emblem though.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

Get ready for a 100 hour grindfest (and then some, if you're up for it). It does get tedious at times, but overall I myself liked the game (the PS3 version that is).

If I remember right, getting to level 500 is needed if you're aiming for the Plat. It might sound a lot, but grinding at a right place may get you six-ish (?) levels per fight. So don't fret about that.

The one thing that bugged me was the constant need to feed my party with various food/drink items. That really broke the pace for me. Eventually you'll get skills that break that never ending feeding cycle, thankfully.

My memory is a bit shady with the facts stated above, so someone else might enlighten you with more precise facts. But that's the gist of it, anyway  :)

• Like 2

I really liked the game at first but once I got deep into the story and got slaughtered over and over it stopped being fun, there's too much grinding required just to progress the story and I haven't played since then, but I'd like to go back to it at some point

• Like 1

didn't noticed... yeah... Rainbow Moon is SRPG, not JRPG... hope you still give it a try...

Get ready for a 100 hour grindfest (and then some, if you're up for it). It does get tedious at times, but overall I myself liked the game (the PS3 version that is).

If I remember right, getting to level 500 is needed if you're aiming for the Plat. It might sound a lot, but grinding at a right place may get you six-ish (?) levels per fight. So don't fret about that.

My memory is a bit shady with the facts stated above, so someone else might enlighten you with more precise facts. But that's the gist of it, anyway  :)

IMO 100 hours is enough.. (for the 100 hour gameplay trophy). and yep... level 500 is needed for the plat... as Mr. Frog/Robo said, it might sound a chore but if you know where to level grind... might be done in no time....

oh... additional tip I guess...

-when having difficulty in bosses, instead of grinding for level, you might try doing optional quests or exploring Optional Dungeons(perfect example is the one Dungeon East of Cassar Island) for level bump...

-this might be personal/biased opinion but for me Baldren and Dozeru is the best character to use in party...

• Like 2

The one thing that bugged me was the constant need to feed my party with various food/drink items. That really broke the pace for me. Eventually you'll get skills that break that never ending feeding cycle, thankfully.

Don't you need like 40-50 hours for getting everything and then let yourself accumulate time by not playing?

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I liked the game, it was quite grindy but i knew that going in. The story is pretty horrible, so you'll have to rely on the gameplay to keep you invested which is a shame since the fights take some time to actually get interesting. The platinum grind is heavily exaggerated, you'll get everything you need in 60-70 hours, just leave the game running for the rest.

And, as many have pointed out before me it's not actually a JRPG.

• Like 1

I agree with the people above this game is helova grindy and spread out across a pretty big map so expect a lot of back and forth. If you still enjoy it after say 10hrs of gameplay you may as well get the 100% without any real fuss. The one thing that bugged me the most was a battle with like 25-30 enemies. Those battles can go on for 10mins or more if your stats are a bit low.

One thing to always do when you enter a dungeon or new area is SAVE YOUR GAME. That will uhm... well... save you a lot of time :lol: 

• Like 1

Some good tips here, thanks guys! :)

Not a JRPG? When I asked the "Allmighty Google" for lists of JRPG games this one popped up in a lot of them :hmm:

It's not all that important what kind of RPG it is. Tried it yesterday for about an hour and it reminds me a lot of FF Tactics, so that's a good thing!

If the battles stay interesting and fun the grinding of levels isn't all that bad, but I still have to discover that ;)

Not a JRPG? When I asked the "Allmighty Google" for lists of JRPG games this one popped up in a lot of them :hmm:

It's not all that important what kind of RPG it is. Tried it yesterday for about an hour and it reminds me a lot of FF Tactics, so that's a good thing!

If the battles stay interesting and fun the grinding of levels isn't all that bad, but I still have to discover that ;)

The reason that it can't technically be considered is JRPG is because it was made in America. You'll see it get recommended to JRPG fans often because it is more reminiscent of japanese rpgs rather than western ones gameplay-wise.

• Like 1

It's a fun game, although not the deepest or most interesting story line.

A few tips:

Speed is the most important factor, since that is compared with your opponents' speed to determine who gets their turn when. Make sure you always keep your speed maxed as you level.

Skills are a big deal. You especially want attacks that can hit several enemies at once. I made sure I always had a healer, a long range attacker, and someone who could hit hard. For me this meant Dozeru (hard hitter), either the sorceress or Trisha (long range & healing for both), and Balderin (fairly balanced non-specialized).

Passive traits are very useful, and can be switched out frequently. So you could have the "doesn't require food" one active for exploring and switch to the "immune to poison" one in an area with many poisoning opponents if you don't have enough available points for both.

Save often! It saves time.

Side quests can be useful, and some are repeatable. I repeated some of the ones with a good payout to get funds for skills and traits. Some enemies drop some valuable stuff, too, which can be sold for upgrades. Don't worry about the trophy for collecting rainbow coins, that comes easy post game. You are better off buying what you need when you need it to get to post game.

Improve your gear. Some dropped items can be added to armor and weapons to add stats - take advantage of this. The shop gives a higher price for improved gear too, so you get some of the worth back by selling things when you have better equipment, if you are worried about that.

• Like 1

It's a fun game, although not the deepest or most interesting story line.

A few tips:

Speed is the most important factor, since that is compared with your opponents' speed to determine who gets their turn when. Make sure you always keep your speed maxed as you level.

Skills are a big deal. You especially want attacks that can hit several enemies at once. I made sure I always had a healer, a long range attacker, and someone who could hit hard. For me this meant Dozeru (hard hitter), either the sorceress or Trisha (long range & healing for both), and Balderin (fairly balanced non-specialized).

Passive traits are very useful, and can be switched out frequently. So you could have the "doesn't require food" one active for exploring and switch to the "immune to poison" one in an area with many poisoning opponents if you don't have enough available points for both.

Save often! It saves time.

Side quests can be useful, and some are repeatable. I repeated some of the ones with a good payout to get funds for skills and traits. Some enemies drop some valuable stuff, too, which can be sold for upgrades. Don't worry about the trophy for collecting rainbow coins, that comes easy post game. You are better off buying what you need when you need it to get to post game.

Improve your gear. Some dropped items can be added to armor and weapons to add stats - take advantage of this. The shop gives a higher price for improved gear too, so you get some of the worth back by selling things when you have better equipment, if you are worried about that.

This basically nails everything that you really need to know to get started.  I am currently going for this platinum and I am at the final boss and my speed is way to low at my lvl.  He gets like 2-3 more turns than me so speed is a must to concentrate on.  Make sure to improve your gear wit dropped items that increase speed.  Other than that, the story is kinda funny but really not that good.  It gets kinda grindy, but thats how these games are.  Hope you enjoy it!!!

• Like 1

The reason that it can't technically be considered is JRPG is because it was made in America. You'll see it get recommended to JRPG fans often because it is more reminiscent of japanese rpgs rather than western ones gameplay-wise.

This is false. They used to be located in Germany, and is now also in Hong Kong.

Well, it's not made by a Japanese developer. It's art style isn't "anime/manga" or whatever, and more like a flash game.

With the technicalities aside, it plays like a mix of SNES era FF games exploration and FFT battle system (but way more fast-paced) and with a quest system. I'd say it gets almost everything from rather classic JRPGs.

I wanted to try a JRPG for a long time now and I've finally decided on Rainbow Moon for the VITA. As I'm about to leave on a 3 week holiday it seemed like a good choice.

Not sure if I'll ever obtain the platinum, but as long as I can enjoy the game for a good amount of time that's not an issue.

Could not find much here on the forum about the game, so are there any players or fans of the game here?

Any tips for a starting player? :D

There are no missable trophies, and as long as you play the game, you should be able to get the platinum without much trouble. Unless you are good, you will face a bit of grinding. It's kind of a choice between grind or being good, because you gain xp dependent on your and your opponents level, so if you are good and can get to higher level enemies, you don't need to grind as much. If you suck, you can always grind.

As for tips, I posted a guide on some other site. I also currently got a trophy guide under works on this site, but I just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. My guide would just help you get the plat faster, give you a lot of helpful tips and really not that much else. But yeah, totally worth reading that.

I've talked to people who has only missed the 100 hours trophy (which can be AFK'd) after like 60-80 hours. Definitely possible to do it in far less. What you say at the end of me quoting you here is pretty much the reason why it can be done much faster. If you are good, you are able to beat the enemies in your way and the boss so you get further in the game where you can meet stronger enemies sooner. When doing so, you can level up much faster too and nowhere near the same amount of grind is needed. The grinding you went through is just for those who don't step up to or aren't able to beat some boss at a lower level etc. A bit like the DLCs, they are far from needed, but some extra rainbow pearls early does speed up things.

If you wanted to try a JRPG... shouldn't you... you know... try a JRPG? =D

Nah, I think this is a fine choice if you're looking for a JRPG. It has everything, but the story, you really loved from the golden era JRPGs.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Here, fixed that for you.

Not only did you break my sentence, but in terms of using the genre to describe the game, it's very much a JRPG.

Personally, I don't really consider many of the NISA games to be JRPGs for the same reason, because they don't describe the gameplay of the games very well.

Not only did you break my sentence, but in terms of using the genre to describe the game, it's very much a JRPG.

Personally, I don't really consider many of the NISA games to be JRPGs for the same reason, because they don't describe the gameplay of the games very well.

I know you have to be correct in every argument you start but to avoid unnecessary flow of repeating the same, this is not JRPG by definition, because it's not made by the Japanese company as was already mentioned.

It's an SRPG.

I know you have to be correct in every argument you start

Ad-hominem.

to avoid unnecessary flow of repeating the same, this is not JRPG by definition, because it's not made by the Japanese company as was already mentioned.

It's an SRPG.

Again, the genre is usually used to reflect the gameplay and not the country the people who made the game is from.

Also, it's TRPG and not SRPG, unless of course you're from Japan.

With that said, if you go to my trophy guide for this game, I can't edit that anymore, you will see I say it's a TRPG.

"Rainbow Moon is a Tactical Role Playing game that focus on the gameplay and not so much the story. The battle system is much like most JTRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea but it is nowhere as complicated and it's pretty fast paced in comparison."

The important part here is that it plays like a JTRPG, not that it's not from Japan.

Edited by MMDE

Also, it's TRPG and not SRPG, unless of course you're from Japan.

Oh... we are using different abbreviations... 

My SRPG = Strategy Role Playing Game, not Simulation RPG (Disgaea, Demon Gaze)

In this case, SRPG is an RPG with tiles while TRPG refers to the remaining versions (Persona, Neptunia, Atelier, ...)