story discussion

MMDE

I thought the story in this game was presented pretty interestingly. Some people may not get the story, because it's not all that clear, but I'd say it's pretty sad.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632677-papo-and-yo/71010114

Decent explanation of the story. Not really much of spoilers in terms of the story in this game, as it's not story driven, but rather you discover what everything around you are supposed to be as you get further in the game.

• Like 1

The story behind the game is what motivated me to play it, but it was lacking.. I felt little connection between the game and the inspiration behind it's development. Having grown up with 2 alcoholic parents myself, I felt there would be a deeper plot, and more mature interconnected game play/story telling. It's just checkpoint after checkpoint of solving silly puzzles. The monster, okay, but the rest of it is just vague had-to-have-been-there references.

edit: the bits toward the end of the game were memorable, though. if more of the game felt like those last few moments, it'd have been a better experience.

Edited by usrmd
  • Like 3

Same here, i thought the idea was interesting, and the way it was weaved into the characters definitely was well thought out, but i felt near to no connection with any of the characters, and couldn't care much about how it rolled out. Was it the music, the gameplay, the lack of storytelling, who knows...

But if you compare it to other story driven games like Valiant hearts for example (even though the stories are worlds apart), there is no comparing the degree of emotion certain games can generate. Of course this is my opinion, and probably depends from person to person...

• 2 months later...

The monster, okay, but the rest of it is just vague had-to-have-been-there references.

Yeah, in the beginning there is a lot of stuff you simply don't get. It's hard to feel connected when you don't understand what is actually happening.

edit: the bits toward the end of the game were memorable, though. if more of the game felt like those last few moments, it'd have been a better experience.

I agree. I also think that maybe a second playthrough of the game would make more sense, and I think they tried to do that with the hats. The hats themselves usually felt like "had-to-have-been-there" references though, and if you just went for the trophies and had already played through the game once, you'd just be level skipping to where the hats were and not re-experience the story. I'm not saying I'm not glad they added the level select option, in fact I'm very happy about that, but it made me not re-experience the story as well. I guess I could have had I cared enough, but I felt I got enough out of the game already at that point.

• Like 1