Your opinions on Windows 10?

ZeroXOF

Still no Windows 10 for me, still no reserve notification in taskbar, no nothing really. Tried all the troubleshooting steps from Microsoft to no avail. I will just stick with Windows 7 as I can not be bothered with all this hassle for an OS that was said to be availeble on 29 July 2015 and yet two days later still not able to upgrade.

I'm curious to know, how is the Windows 10 firewall, are there atleast notifcations now or a simpler way to allow programs internet access? Also, I have OS updates set to manual on Win7 as I like to have control over my PC so not being able to disable updates on Win 10 is not good.

I'm curious to know, how is the Windows 10 firewall, are there atleast notifcations now or a simpler way to allow programs internet access? Also, I have OS updates set to manual on Win7 as I like to have control over my PC so not being able to disable updates on Win 10 is not good.

The default setting for Windows Update is manual, Windows 10 actually allows you to set a schedule for when you would like it to install the update (so essentially it operates under the original "download updates but let me choose when to install them" setting). There isn't an option for the full-on disabling of Windows Update (ie not even allowing the updates to download in the background).

I think I read somewhere that you can postpone updates up to a certain point, but for the most part, due to Windows 10 being run as a "Service," updates will be automatic and your computer will install them sooner or later.

Edited by simply ahri
  • Like 1

The default setting for Windows Update is manual, Windows 10 actually allows you to set a schedule for when you would like it to install the update (so essentially it operates under the original "download updates but let me choose when to install them" setting). There isn't an option for the full-on disabling of Windows Update (ie not even allowing the updates to download in the background).

I think I read somewhere that you can postpone updates up to a certain point, but for the most part, due to Windows 10 being run as a "Service," updates will be automatic and your computer will install them sooner or later.

Thanks for that, glad to hear that option is still available.

Windows Updates are only forced upon Windows 10 Home users. It can be disabled on Pro.

Well I don't mind it and I didn't mind Windows 8.1 but it seems a little less refined compared to Windows 8.1 at the moment but its has only been a few days so I am sure it will be the best Windows yet soon... I would probably use Microsoft Edge if it had a proper ad blocker :D

i installed it on the laptop of my parents since they had hard times with the 8/8.1 interface but now with 10 they feel much more comfortable and asked me why windows wasn't like this before lol

Although after i checked myself i like how it is structured now everything fells super organized what i love since i do work a lot on the computer but the core stays the same i think from win7 so just the UI is more polished towards desktop systems instead of going towards a full touchscreen interface.

Windows 10 is better for gaming, but it comes at the cost of your privacy. Windows 10 collects a ton of data when you use many of its features, especially if you activate Cortana. Some data that's collected includes your keypresses, your pictures, contents of your private email and your contacts. How much this matters to you really depends on how much you trust Microsoft.

On the up-side, some people are reporting framerate increases by up to 10 frames per second. While no games take advantage of DX12 yet, I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate increase comes from the fact that installing a new OS is one way to clean your PC and get rid of programs that are weighing down on your hardware's performance.

If like me and you haven't been able to download it yet, here's a way to force it to download. I just tried it and it works. 

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

That or use the .exe file here..

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Anyways, on-topic.

Haven't been finding it that bad tbh, there's some bits and pieces I don't like about it like Cortana, thankfully that can be turned off.  Eventually I'll be settled with it, it's basically Windows 7 but upgraded which is nice for once.

Edited by DEMON

I find it comfortable and my personal favorite part is that it does snapping right! (or well..right-er, from Windows 7). Hot-keyed snapping, as well as the ability to choose another window to fill the remaining portion (similar to Apple's OS El Capitan's) is amazing. I know it's not a much talked about feature but I personally love how easy it got.

• Like 1

I'm a little bummed that the more I read about the free upgrade, kind of getting the impression that if I have to replace my motherboard or hard drive down the road (whichever the activation hooks on to), I'm SOL unless I buy the darn thing.  I already upgraded my desktop, but I'm pretty meh about the whole thing in light of that.  Might as well just revert back to 7 or 8.1 now and use an operating system that I'm not just borrowing.

I do like it so far though.  Maybe I'll see if I can get the free upgrade on my 8.1 netbook... it's not like I'll be replacing parts in that anytime. ;)  If it breaks, I'll be buying a new one with Windows 10 anyways.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I am loving Windows 10 so far, though it's disappointing how many customization features that were in 7 and 8 aren't available or aren't as good in Windows 10. Hopefully they'll get onto improving that at some point.

Also for people wondering why they skipped 9, it's because of legacy code with Windows 95 or whatever and older programs may have had serious issues and stuff like that. Additionally, Microsoft is rolling it out in waves, so some people may be able to download it now, some may not yet be able to download it.

Windows 10 is better for gaming, but it comes at the cost of your privacy. Windows 10 collects a ton of data when you use many of its features, especially if you activate Cortana. Some data that's collected includes your keypresses, your pictures, contents of your private email and your contacts. How much this matters to you really depends on how much you trust Microsoft.

On the up-side, some people are reporting framerate increases by up to 10 frames per second. While no games take advantage of DX12 yet, I wouldn't be surprised if the framerate increase comes from the fact that installing a new OS is one way to clean your PC and get rid of programs that are weighing down on your hardware's performance.

You never get something for 'free'. The amount of data they want to collect from you is absurd.

So it will be Windows 7 for me until I switch to Linux or something :P

• Like 1

I'm a little bummed that the more I read about the free upgrade, kind of getting the impression that if I have to replace my motherboard or hard drive down the road (whichever the activation hooks on to), I'm SOL unless I buy the darn thing.  I already upgraded my desktop, but I'm pretty meh about the whole thing in light of that.  Might as well just revert back to 7 or 8.1 now and use an operating system that I'm not just borrowing.

I do like it so far though.  Maybe I'll see if I can get the free upgrade on my 8.1 netbook... it's not like I'll be replacing parts in that anytime. ;)  If it breaks, I'll be buying a new one with Windows 10 anyways.

Don't worry about replacing a motherboard or hard drive. Windows 10 functions just like every version of Windows since 98. If you replace something like a motherboard (which usually means a new cpu, new ram and sometimes a new video card you can just call the number provided on the Windows activation screen. I had to use it about a dozen times with Windows 98-era computers, a half dozen with Windows XP-era computers and only once with Windows 7. No worries! No reason to think you're borrowing anything. In fact, I'd wager any sources you read that information from were just speculating and/or spreading FUD.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5008/windows-10-tip-associate-your-pc-with-your-free-windows-10-license

Don't worry about replacing a motherboard or hard drive. Windows 10 functions just like every version of Windows since 98. If you replace something like a motherboard (which usually means a new cpu, new ram and sometimes a new video card you can just call the number provided on the Windows activation screen. I had to use it about a dozen times with Windows 98-era computers, a half dozen with Windows XP-era computers and only once with Windows 7. No worries! No reason to think you're borrowing anything. In fact, I'd wager any sources you read that information from were just speculating and/or spreading FUD.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5008/windows-10-tip-associate-your-pc-with-your-free-windows-10-license

What would I tell them when I call though?  Since it was a free upgrade, it's not like I have a valid Windows 10 product key.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Not worried in the slightest if it doesn't happen at all but I find it a tad funny that if I view the update history on all 3 laptops in my house windows 10 is in the history and has failed to update on each laptop at each time it was supposed to "install".

I do remember reading somewhere that it could take up to a few weeks before all the people who reserved upgrade though. 

Not worried in the slightest if it doesn't happen at all but I find it a tad funny that if I view the update history on all 3 laptops in my house windows 10 is in the history and has failed to update on each laptop at each time it was supposed to "install".

I do remember reading somewhere that it could take up to a few weeks before all the people who reserved upgrade though. 

If you use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to upgrade (AFTER the PC has been "reserved" for Windows 10), not only do you not have to wait... but it actually works, unlike that finicky Windows Update method.

If you use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to upgrade (AFTER the PC has been "reserved" for Windows 10), not only do you not have to wait... but it actually works, unlike that finicky Windows Update method.

I'm not all that worried about it honestly. Not to mention I don't have a USB/DVD with 4gb. (assuming it's even necessary.)

I'll just wait it out. Doesn't this thing last a year? lol

I'm not all that worried about it honestly. Not to mention I don't have a USB/DVD with 4gb. (assuming it's even necessary.)

I'll just wait it out. Doesn't this thing last a year? lol

The free upgrade offer does last a year (until July 29th, 2016)... but it kind of sounds to me like Microsoft has already fed your PC's Windows 10, it's just failing the install.  I'm not sure waiting will fix that, and it wouldn't shock me if that's just Windows Update being it's usual unreliable self.

If you're just upgrading, you shouldn't need a USB or DVD.  That would just be if you want to create a backup copy for later, or for a clean install.  The upgrade just does everything on your hard drive.

EDIT: Guess I should've mentioned, the tool can be used to Upgrade... OR to create the installation media (USB/DVD).  The former doesn't require the external USB/DVD media.  It'll be the first choice you get to make after running the executable you download from that Microsoft site.  You just need to make sure that your PC is reserved for Windows 10 before you do it, which it sounds like you've already done.  Not sure what would happen if you upgraded without it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1