PS4 system slow downloading speed?

Syphon_Filter

Has anyone paying attention to their PS4 system while downloading something? I searched the forum and couldn't find a topic regarding that. My internet speed is 60 download and 10 upload. When downloading a file size of 1 GB. The bar it says 2 hours and etc. This is completely stupid and I never had any issues with my PS3. Only God knows what kind of ethernet port Sony installed on the PS4 motherboard. I just bought the game called The Legend Of Kay and its 3 GB. The bar downloading is saying 3 hours! :angry:  

Im having the same.problem im downloading Styx master of shadow and its saying 3 hours

For God holy name! Tomorrow I have work and at 9 30 I purchased the game and said to my self will play Legend Of Kay until 11 and go to sleep. Until now the download bar it shows 37 minutes still there. This is completely stupid and making me to buy another system.

If anything it is my PS3 that is slow to download, but I have this set as wireless, my PS4 is Ethernet (both on same fibre optic connection).

Ni no kuni took a few hours to download I recall on PS3, but as I said TLOU on PS4 was really quick, barely time to take a bath (honest).

That's my experiences so far.

Pausing and then resuming the downloads usually cuts the download time in half for me and many others. Also like said above, the PS4 seems to download really fast while in standby mode as well.

A lot of people have been complaining about slow PS4 speeds since firmware version 2.00 and Sony stated that they're currently investigating the issue.

Has anyone paying attention to their PS4 system while downloading something? I searched the forum and couldn't find a topic regarding that. My internet speed is 60 download and 10 upload. When downloading a file size of 1 GB. The bar it says 2 hours and etc. This is completely stupid and I never had any issues with my PS3. Only God knows what kind of ethernet port Sony installed on the PS4 motherboard. I just bought the game called The Legend Of Kay and its 3 GB. The bar downloading is saying 3 hours! :angry:  

I noticed this too. I have a 50mb connection and it seems like I don't even get half that. I swear my PS3 downloaded faster at 18mb than my PS4 does at 50mb. PS3 downloaded faster Wi-Fi then my PS4 does hardwired it seems like. One of the things I noticed, if it is going super slow, pause the download for 5 secs and then start it back up. I have seen downloads drop from saying 30 minutes to 5 minutes.

Mine is sometimes a slow asshole and other times a swell guy.

Example, when I bought Batman, the day one patch and DLC and whatnot was around 3 gig in total, and that took a few hours to download, I played the game anyway and eventually it downloaded.

Other times, like with the Final Fantasy 14 or 15 or whatever the online one was called's beta, it downloaed around 15 gig in about 50 minutes.

You wanna talk bad download speeds, talk to a Vita owner, it's so much worse than you think.

I redownloaded all battlefield 3 patches which were something about bit over 2gb and it took me really stupidly unnecessary long time which was atleast 8 hours if i remember correctly. I did not really understand why it just went so slow because first it was like normal speed but also my ps4 has had slow download speed for some time now when i've downloaded it can be even slower than my ps3's at times... T_T

It could also be Sony's servers, couldn't it? 

I usually get a good speed, but occasionally it's crappy - usually around what I assume would be peak download times, e.g. just got home from work and downloading a new release, or downloading the PS+ games on the day they launch.

As has been said above, try pausing and resuming the download. I have also found that re-starting the system helps too.

This is why a digital only world would suck

I agree yes. With PS4 its seem to sucks not with PS3. I never had any downloading issues with my PS3 and specially after I got better internet speed and it went so fast. Even when I do the internet test connection on my PS4. The results are horrible compare to the PS3. From 60 MB download and 10 MB upload. I get 18 and 2.

No problems here for me, I downloaded TLOU and it didn't take that long, the bar was going in chunks, but I do have fibre optic connection.

Might be some maintenance going on perhaps.

I don't think so its because of the maintenance. It has been like that for very long time and even before the updates. I guarantee you either Sony uses cheap service or the ethernet port Sony installed is cheap. Sony is well known a cheap company.

Sometimes when I restart the ps4, it suddenly starts downloading twice at fast

I will not do that for every download. There is a problem for sure and this dam Sony should fix it.

If anything it is my PS3 that is slow to download, but I have this set as wireless, my PS4 is Ethernet (both on same fibre optic connection).

Ni no kuni took a few hours to download I recall on PS3, but as I said TLOU on PS4 was really quick, barely time to take a bath (honest).

That's my experiences so far.

With my PS3 I downloaded so many games and some of them had 11 GB. It didn't take me more than I remember 40 minutes. But with this PS4 its horrible and crazy.

Pausing and then resuming the downloads usually cuts the download time in half for me and many others. Also like said above, the PS4 seems to download really fast while in standby mode as well.

A lot of people have been complaining about slow PS4 speeds since firmware version 2.00 and Sony stated that they're currently investigating the issue.

I haven't tried the pausing things and I will try the sandy by mode and see how is it for the next download.

I usually just go into rest mode. It seems to go quicker. 

I haven't tried that out yet.

skateak, on 30 Jul 2015 - 02:50 AM, said:
I noticed this too. I have a 50mb connection and it seems like I don't even get half that. I swear my PS3 downloaded faster at 18mb than my PS4 does at 50mb. PS3 downloaded faster Wi-Fi then my PS4 does hardwired it seems like. One of the things I noticed, if it is going super slow, pause the download for 5 secs and then start it back up. I have seen downloads drop from saying 30 minutes to 5 minutes.
Indeed the PS3 is faster. As I mentioned above. Even by doing the internet connection test. My PS4 results are horrible. I have 60 MB download and 10 upload. I get 16 or 17 MB download and 3 upload it shows on the PS4 results. But with my PS3 I get around 38, 39 download and 7 or 8 upload. There is a problem for sure with this PS4.

Super-Fly Spider-Guy, on 30 Jul 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:
Mine is sometimes a slow asshole and other times a swell guy.

Example, when I bought Batman, the day one patch and DLC and whatnot was around 3 gig in total, and that took a few hours to download, I played the game anyway and eventually it downloaded.

Other times, like with the Final Fantasy 14 or 15 or whatever the online one was called's beta, it downloaed around 15 gig in about 50 minutes.

You wanna talk bad download speeds, talk to a Vita owner, it's so much worse than you think.
God forbid to download anything on VITA. We don't need another headache as its enough with this da PS4.

Mcbeanstr, on 30 Jul 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:
Happens a lot to me as well. Sometimes it's the connection but the ps4 has that problem I hardly have any issues downloading on ps3
Same here PS3 it takes way better speed to download and as I remember. I never had any issues while downloading no matter how big the game was.

zafira1290, on 30 Jul 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:
I redownloaded all battlefield 3 patches which were something about bit over 2gb and it took me really stupidly unnecessary long time which was atleast 8 hours if i remember correctly. I did not really understand why it just went so slow because first it was like normal speed but also my ps4 has had slow download speed for some time now when i've downloaded it can be even slower than my ps3's at times... T_T
There is a problem for sure with PS4. Either hardware problem or its servers.

Satoshi Ookami, on 30 Jul 2015 - 04:48 AM, said:
Ethernet or wi-fi?
I use ethernet.

StrickenBiged, on 30 Jul 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:
It could also be Sony's servers, couldn't it? 

I usually get a good speed, but occasionally it's crappy - usually around what I assume would be peak download times, e.g. just got home from work and downloading a new release, or downloading the PS+ games on the day they launch.

As has been said above, try pausing and resuming the download. I have also found that re-starting the system helps too.
For sure there is a problem and as you said. It could be Sony's servers as Sony uses's cheap old servers for sure or its the PS4. There is no way people have high speed internet and dealing with this useless issues.
  • Like 1

(Knock on wood) I have actually great luck with my PS4. The downloads seem to go very quick for me. I don't know what to attribute that to, my internet is only 30.00Mbps but everything seems to run effortlessly. If you are running wireless there may be multiple factors. It could be the placement of the wireless router. (Mine is in the same room as my PS4, about 15 feet away from it) I have multiple things hooked up to my wireless network but every single item I have has been assigned it's own IP address which helps keep them from conflicting with each other. Hope some of these tips help.

I have actually great luck with my PS4. The downloads seem to go very quick for me. If you are running wireless there may be multiple factors. It could be the placement of the wireless router. (Mine is in the same room as my PS4

As SoapMacTavish222 says no problem with speed for me as well as him, so it cannot just be something to do with cheap components othter wise we all would have problems with slow down loads, but we are not.

Also, same as Soap.... my PS4 is in the same room as my router, although as I said before mine is connected via Ethernet and not wireless, but that shouldn't matter, distance from router could matter, mine is approx. 11 feet away.

EDIT:

When I last looked at my PS4 downloading it was coming down in chunks of 4mb every second.

So about 240mb per minute or 1gb every 4 minutes, or 10gb in 40ish minutes, which I consider quick enough.

Please forgive me but is this what you mean is slow? as people just say 'takes very long' without really saying how long.

Edited by Haysi_Fantayzee

My PS4 and PS3 use the same connection. (a wire I need to change console whenever I need it)

My PS3 can download pretty fast, but my PS4 takes forever.

Styx (with all updates) took about 20 hours.

I'm installing a Driveclub update file (15gb) and it said 99+ hours for quite some time. 

I've downloaded 7.5 GB already and it will still take arround 70-75 hours.

It's really crazy

ive had a problem with this also just but the download on hold then restart it should download alot faster. its worth remembering your downloading from peer to peer so your internet provider will capp you on how fast you can download off the store even if your getting a high speed connection. Im on a 50meg a second when plugged to my router. Right now i download about 38 meg a second off the store hope this helps

I'm having the same problem as well. I don't think this is an a problem of only some ps4 consoles. But it's better now, yesterday it was 50 hours to download a 9gig Handsom Collection update. Now it's 5. It would take around 70-90 minutes to download it with my internet connection.