Earning Trophies From Games You've Never Played?

Im2Fast_4U

A few years ago, I didn't have internet. When I finally had it again, I updated my trophy list, noticing that I had earned trophies from my games I had played in that span. However, there was an oddball. I saw that I had earned around 7% of the trophies for Dante's Inferno, a game I've never owned let alone played. I shrugged it off, and just today, coming back from 3 days inactivity, noticed that the past week, I had been earning trophies from Bioshock 1, again, a game I've never owned nor played. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else ever and what I should do to prevent this from happening, and what may be causing it. 

Another member had posted a thread similar to this a few weeks back. I wonder if they ever found out what happened...

Are you using the same PS3 from before you had internet, or did you get rid of it leaving all your info on it so that whoever might have it now is somehow gaining trophies on your account?

It may be that my account was on a friends' PS3... and he does have both of those games... And my system was brand new... So I would venture to say it's probably my friend. Probably an old user we used trying to play MW2 online split screen or something...

Edit/addition: Still have the original system, never got rid of it. 

Edited by Im2Fast_4U

It may be that my account was on a friends' PS3... and he does have both of those games... And my system was brand new... So I would venture to say it's probably my friend. Probably an old user we used trying to play MW2 online split screen or something...

Edit/addition: Still have the original system, never got rid of it. 

Same thing happened to me with RE6 and MW3, my friend had my account on his PS3 so he could download a patch or something, and he synced his trophies and unwillingly gave me all of the ones he had in his system, even from before I activated my account on his console. If your friend has those games then that is most likely the case.

As others have said, this can happen on PS3 from syncing trophies on another account.

On PS4 however, this is very common, and a different problem.  Many people have noticed that if they download multiple digital titles at once, the XMB icon and background image may appear for the other game they just downloaded. If they start playing the game anyway, everything is normal until they earn trophies, and then they begin earning trophies for the other game.  It seems this can happen with almost any 2 PS4 games, as long as they are both downloaded at the same time.  I'm not sure if Sony has fixed this yet in a firmware update, but it was happening quite frequently since PS4 launch up until at least a few months back.  I haven't heard anything about it for a while, so hopefully the last firmware update fixed it.  But either way, be aware of this if you have a PS4 and plan to play downloaded games.

Edited by Matto_lsi

• 2 weeks later...