Please Help!

Hi, so I've been playing The Last of Us for the first time, on PS4. During the sewer bit of "The Suburbs", after Joel accidentally trips that alarm, separating him from Ellie, I realized that I missed the 3rd toolbox, and it was too late to go back. My question is, would chapter select remedy this issue (and if not, is there any other option?), or am I basically screwed and have to go on without having the 3rd toolbox?

I can't remember if you can use chapter select, but toolboxes are the one item where there are extras.  If you are going for all trophies, you only need to collect 5, and if you miss one, there are a couple extras later in the game.  I remember following a vid, and I actually found 1 on my own before I got all 5 in the vid.  So if you keep exploring, you should be fine.  Also, try finding a list of all their possible locations, so you don't miss any of the back-ups.  I do believe you can also collect any you missed on NG+, but I got them in my first playthrough, so that wasn't needed, so I can't make any guarantees.

A few other quick notes: I was very thorough in searching everywhere during my playthroughs, and I ended up fully upgrading Joel by the end of the first playthrough (like right at the very end, and just barely).  All guides I found said you have to go into NG+ for this - not true.  And for his weapons, I had these fully upgraded well before the end of my second playthrough.  So just know that outside of the specific collectibles (like firefly pendants), you do have some wiggle room if you really take the time to explore.

Edited by Matto_lsi

I can't remember if you can use chapter select, but toolboxes are the one item where there are extras.  If you are going for all trophies, you only need to collect 5, and if you miss one, there are a couple extras later in the game.  I remember following a vid, and I actually found 1 on my own before I got all 5 in the vid.  So if you keep exploring, you should be fine.  Also, try finding a list of all their possible locations, so you don't miss any of the back-ups.  I do believe you can also collect any you missed on NG+, but I got them in my first playthrough, so that wasn't needed, so I can't make any guarantees.

A few other quick notes: I was very thorough in searching everywhere during my playthroughs, and I ended up fully upgrading Joel by the end of the first playthrough (like right at the very end, and just barely).  All guides I found said you have to go into NG+ for this - not true.  And for his weapons, I had these fully upgraded well before the end of my second playthrough.  So just know that outside of the specific collectibles (like firefly pendants), you do have some wiggle room if you really take the time to explore.

Just wanted to thank you, as I just found the 3rd toolbox later on in the sewer. I was worried for a second that I had one opportunity to get it, and blew it.

They always appear later on in case you miss one.

For example, the fourth toolbox is in a shiv door room. When I was playing on grounded mode I did not have shivs so I missed that one. The toolbox just appeared later on in a different area.

• 1 month later...

Hi, so I've been playing The Last of Us for the first time, on PS4. During the sewer bit of "The Suburbs", after Joel accidentally trips that alarm, separating him from Ellie, I realized that I missed the 3rd toolbox, and it was too late to go back. My question is, would chapter select remedy this issue (and if not, is there any other option?), or am I basically screwed and have to go on without having the 3rd toolbox?

Use chapter select and replay it from the start. You'll pick up the toolbox where it normally sits. As this is your first play through, try and collect as many COG pieces to upgrade your weapons and supplements to upgrade Joel's abilities as if you decide to chase the platinum, you'll need to play this again and any upgrades etc will roll over in the NG+ play through (2nd play through).

• 3 years later...
36 minutes ago, dokkanexpert said:

So I just got the 5th upgrade tool (4th for me so I missed one).

Im in the sewers of Utah on my way to the fireflies.

Anyone know where the next could be?

What are you even asking? If you missed one then it will be wherever you missed it.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:22 PM, CypherNova139 said:

If you miss a toolbox the game will spawn another one in a conspicuous (if you search for collectibles)  location that doesn't normally have one to make sure you get a chance to get it again. At least this is what I've heard, as I always got the toolboxes.

So I read on PowerPyx that tool #3 is the only tool that had 2, I missed the one in the University and I've already beaten the game. So I guess I'll get it on my second playthrough,