FF XII Remake/Remaster confirmed.

This news made my day, been wanting this for so long ^-^ Hopefully there's a Zodiac Spear-related trophy when it is eventually released ;)

It's great news, but why would you wish the awful Guide Dang It horror that is the Zodiac Spear on anyone? :(

They removed the original method for getting the Zodiac Spear in the international edition, which I'm pretty sure is the one we're getting. So you don't have to worry about opening certain chests but even if they didn't change it, trophy guides exist so it wouldn't be such a big deal as it was back then. The Zodiac Spear was worth it though :P

• Like 1

Which version though? The one people in NA complained "was the worst Final Fantasy evar" until they got Final Fantasy XIII and once more lapsed into hyperbole (obviously letting nostalgia cloud their perception of the older titles)^, or Final Fantasy XII International: Zodiac Job System version? Every remaster from them in the last couple years has used the international versions.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

I've actually never played this game. FFX left such a bad taste in my mouth on the PS2 that I was done with the series. Now that I finally was able to suffer through 10 maybe it is a good time to finally play 12 :) All I really remember about 12's release is this Penny Arcade comic

215551275_9naxe-l-2.jpg

• Like 1

Ah it was my favorite FF and my last.  FFX was okay but FFXII really got me.  It wasn't too (JRPG) emotional based on the story although some good hints of it were still there, making it still a signature FF.

I really loved the battle system and the gameplay was FFs best.  I even looked into FFXIII a few years ago to see where they went after that, and I was suprised and dissapointed.

I don't know if I'll ever replay this if they re-release it, but it's a good RPG to play if anyone is interested.  It is unlike any other FF game.

All hail the godly Zodiac Spear!

• Like 1

Hell yeah!  This is awesome news for FF fans!  I know I'm excited!

It's great news, but why would you wish the awful Guide Dang It horror that is the Zodiac Spear on anyone? :(

:devil:

Better yet, why not stay with the FF trend and have a trophy for collecting all items/weapons ^_^

They removed the original method for getting the Zodiac Spear in the international edition, which I'm pretty sure is the one we're getting. So you don't have to worry about opening certain chests but even if they didn't change it, trophy guides exist so it wouldn't be such a big deal as it was back then. The Zodiac Spear was worth it though :P

Which version though? The one people in NA complained "was the worst Final Fantasy evar" until they got Final Fantasy XIII and once more lapsed into hyperbole (obviously letting nostalgia cloud their perception of the older titles)^, or Final Fantasy XII International: Zodiac Job System version? Every remaster from them in the last couple years has used the international versions.

Though it will most likely be the international version that damon here pointed out keeping up with the trend, I was honestly hoping for the original one that I played.  

I thought the conditions for getting the spear were pretty wack.  Like you had a shit ton of chests on a beach and you could open all but like two?  If you touched those, you could never get the zodiac spear.  Getting the collectors edition. I had the guide with it so I didn't miss it.  The guide was beautiful and full of awesome information and lore. 

I still have my steelbook collector's edition.  I understand why most people didn't like this one, particularly due to the "auto battle" gambit system, but I personally enjoyed it BECAUSE it was different than the past FFs.  I personally have enjoyed them all (except Lightning Returns because I haven't played it yet) and each one has been pretty good in my book.  

Yiazmat here I come to help you get rid of the 51 million health ... again. And this time I'll probably get a trophy for it.

Aw hell yeah! 

My favourite Final Fantasy about time! Totally unappreciated game and the arguments of why it is a "bad game" don't even stand. Oh Vaan isn't the main character! in fact the game doesn't have a main character that sucks!. Yet when FF6 did that it was wow! look at the diversity! having no set main character allows the game to really branch out. Vaan isn't supposed to be strong, heroic or any bit amazing. He is a kid with dreams who got caught up in a situation bigger than anything he could imagine. I don't see how that makes him a bad character or even makes it a bad game to be honest.

Not to mention the license system was a really cool addition in my opinion. It was never hard to get license points to begin with but it really made you plan out what you wanted from each character. The Gambit system is beyond easy to comprehend, you simply just set commands so that you don't have to waste time going into it during combat and you can focus on more real time strategies.

As for the story? absolutely bloody amazing. However I always have loved more medieval fantasy over modern or sci fi settings to be fair. 12's setting is ideal for me and I love the idea of various empires etc. The gameplay is fresh and plays almost like an offline MMO, while I am not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with the game delivers a new, unique combat system which still feels like you are playing a Final Fantasy game. The weapon and armour designs are insanely awesome and despite Uematsu not composing the entire track the soundtrack is beautiful and nothing short of a masterpiece. While I do admit 12 is understandably boring while you're learning the ropes the extra side missions, hunts and espers makes the replay value of this game endless. One thing I am kinda worried for is the Platinum... its gonna be so fun to obtain but knowing I have to spend 3-4 hours on 1 boss fight alone is making my stomach uneasy! haha.

• Like 1

My favourite Final Fantasy about time! Totally unappreciated game and the arguments of why it is a "bad game" don't even stand. Oh Vaan isn't the main character! in fact the game doesn't have a main character that sucks!. Yet when FF6 did that it was wow! look at the diversity! having no set main character allows the game to really branch out. Vaan isn't supposed to be strong, heroic or any bit amazing. He is a kid with dreams who got caught up in a situation bigger than anything he could imagine. I don't see how that makes him a bad character or even makes it a bad game to be honest.

Not to mention the license system was a really cool addition in my opinion. It was never hard to get license points to begin with but it really made you plan out what you wanted from each character. The Gambit system is beyond easy to comprehend, you simply just set commands so that you don't have to waste time going into it during combat and you can focus on more real time strategies.

As for the story? absolutely bloody amazing. However I always have loved more medieval fantasy over modern or sci fi settings to be fair. 12's setting is ideal for me and I love the idea of various empires etc. The gameplay is fresh and plays almost like an offline MMO, while I am not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with the game delivers a new, unique combat system which still feels like you are playing a Final Fantasy game. The weapon and armour designs are insanely awesome and despite Uematsu not composing the entire track the soundtrack is beautiful and nothing short of a masterpiece. While I do admit 12 is understandably boring while you're learning the ropes the extra side missions, hunts and espers makes the replay value of this game endless. One thing I am kinda worried for is the Platinum... its gonna be so fun to obtain but knowing I have to spend 3-4 hours on 1 boss fight alone is making my stomach uneasy! haha.

I haven't seen people complain about that. I've seen them complain about the battle system, though. That's what put me off of the game as well. Everything else seemed rather cool. 

• Like 2

thought the conditions for getting the spear were pretty wack.  Like you had a shit ton of chests on a beach and you could open all but like two?  If you touched those, you could never get the zodiac spear.  Getting the collectors edition. I had the guide with it so I didn't miss it.  The guide was beautiful and full of awesome information and lore. 

But you could get the spear even if you opened the wrong chests :P It had a 0.1% chance of being obtained from the Henne Mines in a specific chest. Slim chance, yeah, but still possible xD

• Like 1

Not to mention the license system was a really cool addition in my opinion. It was never hard to get license points to begin with but it really made you plan out what you wanted from each character. 1.) The Gambit system is beyond easy to comprehend, you simply just set commands so that you don't have to waste time going into it during combat and you can focus on more real time strategies.

As for the story? absolutely bloody amazing. However I always have loved more medieval fantasy over modern or sci fi settings to be fair. 12's setting is ideal for me and I love the idea of various empires etc. 2.) The gameplay is fresh and plays almost like an offline MMO, while I am not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with the game delivers a new, unique combat system which still feels like you are playing a Final Fantasy game. The weapon and armour designs are insanely awesome and despite Uematsu not composing the entire track the soundtrack is beautiful and nothing short of a masterpiece. While I do admit 12 is understandably boring while you're learning the ropes the extra side missions, hunts and espers makes the replay value of this game endless. One thing I am kinda worried for is the Platinum... its gonna be so fun to obtain but knowing I have to spend 3-4 hours on 1 boss fight alone is making my stomach uneasy! haha.

1.)  That's why most people didn't  like it.  You could essentially "set it and forget it" because It auto battles if set up that way.  

2.) I am glad I never thought of it as an MMO.  That would have ruined it for me. 

But you could get the spear even if you opened the wrong chests  :P It had a 0.1% chance of being obtained from the Henne Mines in a specific chest. Slim chance, yeah, but still possible  xD

Really?  I thought that if you didn't fulfill certain specific conditions, it wouldn't be in that chest at all.  Guess I was wrong. :o  Then again, I was like 18 and just graduated high school so my memory may not serve exact :P
Edited by daftprophet