Mind giving me any Tips for Building my Character?

YORGOS_PB

So, I've been into the Souls games since day 1 (except for this one, it took me a while to get it because of reasons), and I've never EVER been good at making Builds. 

I have no darned strategy, I just add points on what I like. I like to make All-Arounder Characters in most RPG games, which I believe is a terrible thing to do OR it doesen't really work that way. 

I like it Close and Personal, I like Sword and Shield (I suck at Riposte, never really tried it), I like rolling and evading and flipping the finger but knowing there's my shield as a last resort (I usually look for Shields that enhance Stamina or so, and I Double Hand under those circumstances). 

So, basically, Light Armoured CQC. 

Since you're not looking to go full strength with fatty armour, that means you'll have some extra points to spare as you won't be needing as much health and endurance compared to say a havel build

It is pretty much a must to invest in faith for your healing and lightning miracles. Some bosses are very challenging with melee only builds.

Restrict your points allocation to mostly vigor and strength to ge t you started at the beginning. After that go with your endurance, vitality and faith but in somewhat lesser amounts. End game fill up your faith with a little ATN for the good stuff that miracles have to offer.

- 30 VGR

- 30 STR

- 20 END maximum

- At least 42 FTH for great lightning spear

- 20 ATN

Any excess points can go towards faith or vigor. For vitality just meet your requires preferred weapon requirements, that's about it really. Good luck and praise the sun

Use my quality, simple and deadly like most qualities.

Class: Warrior

Vigor - 34

Endurance - 34

Vitality - 10

ADP - 30

Dexterity - 40

Strength - 40

Rings:

Third Dragon Ring

Royal Soldier's Ring

Flynn's Ring

Use what you want on the other slot (i use the Chloranthy Ring)

Weapons:

My preference are: Sun Sword or BlueMoon Greatsword - Rapier (im a parry person) - Composite Bow / Buckler or Small Leather Shield

You kan do anything you like outside of magic with this build and is a great one in my opinion, wear and use whatever you please, maintain always light but defensive armors for speed though.

Edited by Zanzarro

Depends on how you want to play and if you want a viable competitive PvP character at the end of your playthrough.  The most important thing in Dark Souls II is agility (levelled mostly through ADP), having 95 at the beginning of the game and 100 mid-late game is pretty key in order to have iFrames on your rolls (so you can roll through attacks).  I have over 12 character builds between PS4/PC on SotFS and in most builds you almost always want to have 50 VIGOR and 41-44 END.  Light armor and staying below 30% (ideally) or 40% equip load is also important.  Keep your VIT stat under 9 so you can gain the full benefit from Flynn's Ring even when you use the Third Dragon Ring.

In the beginning of the game I get to 16 Dex and 10 Str and use the Katana.  Or you can go 12 Dex and 12 Str and buy the Estoc.  Both weapons are strong enough at +10 to carry you through the entire game (with only that weapon) and they are viable in PvP.  Of course you can customize weapons later on.  Getting your ADP up for more AGI is also important. From there it's all VGR and END.

• Like 1

ADP is a terrific waste if you play pve

... Lol, you can't be serious...

For the topic creator:

In SotFS you get iFrames at 95, 100, 105 and 111 AGI.  You really only need 100 AGI and you can react to the start up of most attacks and get through them without being hit.  If you are not good at dodging going up to 105 AGI would give you the extra frames.

• Like 1

So is this for online or offline?

If offline, and you're into shield, rolling and physical etc, then you probably want 40 END for max stamina.

I personally found pyromancy rather useful in this game as well, so I'd probably invest in some pyromancy too. Shield + pyro can make a couple of "hated" bosses extremely easy, by just going backwards and shielding against the bosses with 100% physical damage reduction, and throwing pyro whenever the boss does some attacks that won't hit you.

I haven't played Dark Souls II yet, but in Dark Souls I put my points in Strength and Dexterity for attack and equipped a sword that got a bonus for both of them. Besides that Endurance and Vitality and a good shield to guard against magic. I had a bow as a secondary weapon for ranged attacks. It was a pretty well-rounded character and I'm going to do the same in Dark Souls II.

If you use a shield to protect yourself against attacks the don't bother with ADP.

I prefer dodging attacks because it costs less staming to dodge than to absorb hits with a shield.

The stats that i mostly focused on are vitality, adaptability, strength, enough dex to use the weapon i wanted and a lot of stamina.

That was my pve build.

• Like 1

Oh boy, I wasn't expecting any answers. 
Thanks a bunch, everybody. 

@Goekie Ever since Demon's Souls I had a feeling about how I build my Characters, and about Faith. My preferred Class (after my first Wanderer character) was always a Temple Knight. Mostly because of the Halberd which was the cousin of the best imo weapon on the game, but something in the description of the class always caught my eye. I should really try for a legit Temple Knight here in DS2, A Miracle Knights. 

@Zanzarro With that Ring Set I can switch to heavier weapons, like, HEAVIER weapons. It's like giving Hulk a Chopstick, lol. 

@QuantumMercury well, you know, ever since DS1 I kinda went completely solo, mostly PvE because I maintained myself Hollow. But in this game they're forcing you to get invaded, or at least be Human. There are a lot of fellas that focus mainly on Invading, and have some really sly tactics, I've never really been that good with them tho most of my time in the Souls games I've been able to handle invaders. And thanks a LOT for that iFrame thing, that's why I haven't been able to dodge much, my character takes his time to actually move. FromSoftware really wanted to make noobs suffer in this game. I'll give Estoc a go, always wanted to. 

@MMDE Ever since DS1 I wanted to make a Pyromancy-only character. Once I discover Pyromancy I'll test it. 

@hpknight That rings a bell, opens my eyes. If it costs less then I'll go full ninja. 

Ok then, I'll focus firstly on VGR and ADP, buy/craft an Estoc, I guess I'll look for one of the Stamina Regen shields, and then just decide if I want to go Defensive (Miracles) or Offensive (Pyromancy). This run I'd go Miracles, just because I love the fricken Lightning Spear. Then full Pyro. 
I'm early in the game, so. 

Thanks again, fellas. 

@YRGS, you can also use this:

http://fextralife.com/calculator/dks2builds.html

I use it all the time to see how my "end game" character will come together when I build a new character.  The reason you want 50 VIGOR is because with Life Ring + Dragon Ring you can end up getting between 2200-2400 HP.  HP in DS2 is more useful than armor.  Also at 44 END you reach the threshold and gain an extra point on your Third Dragon Ring (for optimization purposes).  144 Stamina x 1.125 (The 12% increase you get from Third Dragon Ring) = 162 on the dot.  At 43 END you do not get the extra piece of stamina.  There are a lot of other advanced building tactics I won't bother to get into but like any Souls game HP + END are the keys to having a strong character.  The difference with DS2 is the need for AGI (and hence leveling ADP).  That is why the PvP community settles around SL150 and not SL120 like it was in previous games.

Also if you start off as Knight (where I start most my builds from due to the lowest stat investment in INT/FTH/ATT with VIT under 9 for Flynn Ring), you will get 95 AGI at 19 ADP and 4 (Default) ATT and 100 AGI at 26 ADP and 4 (Default) ATT...

Yeah I play this game way too much :(

• Like 1

@QuantumMercury oh fuck I had such a lengthy reply explaining my situation and I don't know what happened that the page reloaded itself and now it's gone. 
Oh well. Anyways, I knew about calculators, but never really used them. As I said, there is no darned strategy in my brain *sobs quietly* 

Anyways, long story short, I've had trouble finding stuff and had to backtrack. Discovered this "Power Stance" and tis a beauty. Estoc +3 in R, Longsword+5 in R. If I SnS I used Longsword + Leather Shield (until today that found the Drangelic Set and the Shield is awesome, only 5 units heavier). I use the HP Regen Ring, Faster Stamina Ring, Blue Seal Ring/More Souls Ring, and the Extra HP Ring. 

This is me right meow http://i.imgur.com/BKfryFG.jpg

I decided not to spend points in INT/FTH magic because I don't know. I usually use basic Magic/Miracles but this time I decided not to. 

Need to look for Upgrade materials ASAP

Edited by YRGS