Final Fantasy 7 Remake: "Dramatic Changes" to combat

Kazeh54

Tetsuya Nomura.

“We are bringing dramatic changes to the Final Fantasy VII Remake, so we’re hoping that you’ll look forward to additional information that we’ll be able to release when the time comes,” Nomura told the latest issue of OPM UK.

“And of course, that being said we want to clarify: we’re not going to be changing it into a shooter or something like that. We are going to be bringing dramatic changes, but we want to make sure it’s still recognizable.”

Nomura added that the team will be looking into the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children movie, which he also directed, for visual references and inspiration, but that he and his team “don’t intend on utilizing the 3D models of Advent Children as is because, well, it’s a different technology, and it’s actually been almost ten years since Advent Children was first released.”

So what do you guys think?

Would you prefer a new combat system (More like FF15) or are you hoping it stays with the classic turn based system.

I think whatever they pick, there will be someone that will bitch and moan about it. They will either have:

"It's just the same game with better graphics. How is it a remake. It should be more action RPG than shitty turn based"

OR

"Why the hell did you change the combat system!? All we wanted was better graphics etc"

I'm fine with whatever way they take it really. FF15 looks sweet, and we still have the classic FF7. However, I'd be happy with the same game, just looking like Advent Children.

I think they will keep turn based combat, but change the animations of the attacks/magic/summons.

P.S. Sorry if this is already a topic. Searched around a little and nothing came up so....

I've only ever played one FF game. Dirge of Cerberus which most don't consider for whatever reasons.

Personally I like turn based battle systems a lot and probably tied with free-attacks like the game Darksiders.

I'm not a fan of battle systems like FFXIII or White Knight Chronicles but I can get used to them after a few battles.

Either way as someone who's never played the original I can't rage at either choice. :P

turn based combat was an importent part of ff7 ..... but that doesnt mean it must be an important part of the remake .... as long as the combat system is fun and good , i dont really care :). im a big ff7 fan , but thats a new game =) im just happy to play the story , in the same world , same charakters again :)

For anyone getting pissy over Square Enix "ruining" their beloved Final Fantasy VII experience with the Remake, might I preemptively remind you that the PC to PS4 port is still coming out in Winter 2015. So you can still play Final Fantasy VII in all its turn-based, polygonal glory.

• Like 1

I would love to play it with the new combat system but I think there best bet would to make the game with both combat systems and you can change in the options menu which you prefer this would keep the old school fans happy which I think they will

If they could give fans the option of both. Or something like, you can play the classic way after beating the game with the new combat system.

However, as myself and damon8r351 said; there's always the original option there.

• Like 1

I've only ever played one FF game. Dirge of Cerberus which most don't consider for whatever reasons.

We don't consider it because it is an FPS instead of a turn based RPG. It is why most people don't consider Mario Golf a Mario game :P. It actually isn't a terrible game though and I kind of wish they would bring it back in someway

• Like 1

Seeing as I have only played FFX, FFX-2, FF13, and FF13-2, I wouldn't mind the battle system being similar to the latter 2. But then again, I have never played any of the previous FF titles (with the exception of Dissidia for the PSP) so I can't really say too much on this topic.