Advice?

NotAFoxAnymore

Was meant to make this thread yesterday but my memory is awful.

Basically I started playing this game yesterday and the Rockies were fine and I was doing okay, and then suddenly the difficulty seemed to spike insanely. Basically...I'm awful at this game. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to 'git gud' as the cool kids say these days? (What, they don't say that? Oh..okay..)

What particularly are you struggling with?

The Deadly Descents?  The Races? Survivals? Trick events?

I recently replayed the game, I love it so much, so definitely want to make sure a new boarder gets the best chance of seeing how good it is.

The game in general. I guess maneuvering down the course and scoring enough points in trick events to win are my main issues.

Edited by Akira-chan

The game in general. I guess maneuvering down the course and scoring enough points in trick events to win are my main issues.

To start with, don't worry about getting Gold times.  Run through each of the tracks passing them in Brronze so you get to see everything the game has to offer, revealing everything to expect from it.  Make sure you're going through World Tour in its entirety before moving on to Explore.

For Trick Events:  Make sure your control setup is so the shoulder buttons are responsible for the tricks, it's infinitely easier to hold combinations of the buttons rather than flicking the right stick around.

When performing tricks, always tweak it and only ever do one trick per jump and hold it for the duration.  To start with, only perform spins as opposed to flips as you don't have to worry about righting yourself before landing.

Race events: Only perform enough tricks to get TRICKY - then hold nose or tail press whilst holding boost - being in constant manual keeps TRICKY needed for the infinite boost.  Wait 20 seconds to push TRICKY into UBER TRICKY, then make sure you're doing a big trick every 30 seconds which will keep TRICKY alive for the duration of the race.

For Deadly Descents/Survivals:  Keep applying the brake, these aren't a race or score competition so don't treat them as such.  Go as slow as you can to get as far as you can.

The controls themselves take some getting used to, it's better to tweak your steering as opposed to jerking it in one direction - and don't worry about winding up your jumps until you get used to doing normal jumps and landing them.

• Like 4

Try doing mini hops when there are no ramps or rails around. Try to do a spin, don't just hop. Try your best to never let the combo break. Also, feel free to go off course. That's where the good jumps are. If you're like me and had never played a ssx game before this one, just spam all the buttons in the air and fling your control stick all over the place. It sounds stupid, but I got the platinum playing like this.

• Like 2

To start with, don't worry about getting Gold times.  Run through each of the tracks passing them in Brronze so you get to see everything the game has to offer, revealing everything to expect from it.  Make sure you're going through World Tour in its entirety before moving on to Explore.

For Trick Events:  Make sure your control setup is so the shoulder buttons are responsible for the tricks, it's infinitely easier to hold combinations of the buttons rather than flicking the right stick around.

When performing tricks, always tweak it and only ever do one trick per jump and hold it for the duration.  To start with, only perform spins as opposed to flips as you don't have to worry about righting yourself before landing.

Race events: Only perform enough tricks to get TRICKY - then hold nose or tail press whilst holding boost - being in constant manual keeps TRICKY needed for the infinite boost.  Wait 20 seconds to push TRICKY into UBER TRICKY, then make sure you're doing a big trick every 30 seconds which will keep TRICKY alive for the duration of the race.

For Deadly Descents/Survivals:  Keep applying the brake, these aren't a race or score competition so don't treat them as such.  Go as slow as you can to get as far as you can.

The controls themselves take some getting used to, it's better to tweak your steering as opposed to jerking it in one direction - and don't worry about winding up your jumps until you get used to doing normal jumps and landing them.

Try doing mini hops when there are no ramps or rails around. Try to do a spin, don't just hop. Try your best to never let the combo break. Also, feel free to go off course. That's where the good jumps are. If you're like me and had never played a ssx game before this one, just spam all the buttons in the air and fling your control stick all over the place. It sounds stupid, but I got the platinum playing like this.

Thank you for the advice, I'll take both of these into consideration when I next play c:

Tips? No problem.  I will just say what they already didn't. 

• Trick event: Once you get character to level 10 or higher do this. Equip Legendary Trick Board Level 8. Slower board will give you better control and you can increase spin with mods.
  • Race event: Wingsuit is your best friend. You can cut drop by flying over big gapes where you normally couldn't. 
  • Survival: Again slow board is better. 

Survival Guide

Go to Siberia/Kara-Oiuk/Critical Mass, make custom global event and don't equip gear. Just stay on the right side, don't do any showoff jumps and you can easily get survive 2/3/5 runs in a survive event , survive your first 1/2/4 runs with no rewinds and survive your 1/2/4 runs with no rewinds and no survival gear.

I Ain't Afraid of Snow Ghost

You can do this by yourself. You can just wipe out on survival with other account and then beat it with your main account. If you want to do it without that keep in mind it has to be one friend. 

... I can't think of anything else right now. 

• Like 1