This game is garbage!

TakeaShower__

Somehow I feel like youre a little biased. Might have something to do with your name maybe

A Godzilla fan preordering a Godzilla game, and he's happy with it?  TRAVESTY!

Didn't he realize that he's only allowed to have opinions on preordering with games that he didn't like?  Like the rest of us?!  It makes things so much simpler.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 2

I agree with a lot of what you said. However, a lot of your comments are only relevant to physical retail outlets. Can you cancel a digital pre-order via PSN? I've never tried to pre-order on PSN, so I honestly don't know. If you can't cancel, then that invalidates a lot of what you said, at least as regards those people who chose to buy there. 

Also, online retailers usually ship out the discs in advance so that the buyer receives the game on launch day. If that shipment occurs before the review embargo has lifted, then those players don't have the chance to cancel either. (Although they may be able to return it depending on the law in their jurisdiction.)

Just to clarify, I do pre-order games where I have faith in the developers. Recent experience (e.g. Watch_Dogs and Unity) has taught me not to pre-order willy-nilly like I used to though. I usually pre-order everything I'm interested in from Amazon because they'll only charge you whatever the lowest price is between when you pre-order and release. I cancel any games I'm not sure about e.g. Batman: AK recently, nearer the release date and once more info is available. 

Another point that I forgot about when I made my earlier post is that a number of gamers object to the "pre-order bonus", where retailers get exclusive missions and content for the game which can only be accessed if you pre-order with them (at least at launch). Those gamers feel that this content should be available in the main game and that it is an exploitative practice.

Edit: My first post mentioned Steam vis-a-vis digital pre-orders. Of course, there are now Steam refunds, so that's not an issue.

You can in fact cancel PSN pre-orders, but you need to contact PlayStation Consumer Services to do so. I'm not sure how reliable that is as I've never pre-ordered/canceled anything from PSN either.

I'll say this right now, while I don't think pre-ordering is something that should be discouraged so vehemently, I do think pre-ordering online is pointless. The basic concept of pre-ordering is that you make sure that a copy of a game is available to you come launch date. Whether or not a game is in-stock is something you hardly ever have to worry about online, and it's a complete non-issue with digital games. You make a fine point about not being able to cancel online orders in time, but pre-ordering online is something that's really not worth the effort, unless there's some pre-order bonus you just have to have for some reason. And if you're aware that you may not be able to cancel an order on a game that could turn out to be crap, deciding to take that risk is entirely on you. You can't completely blame game publishers for lack of buyer awareness.

Now, I can agree with the whole pre-order bonus thing, but I'm personally a little conflicted on it. It all depends on what's being offered to me. If it's just some costume or some in-game items, then I don't think it really matters. In the case of a level/mission, it depends on what it was. For example, something like the Badge Pursuit Challenge in L.A. Noire was so trivial that making a fuss over it being a pre-order bonus is just dumb. However, something like Batman: Arkham Knight, with its Scarecrow mission pack, Red Hood DLC, and Harley Quinn DLC, is when it gets excessive and is enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

Retailers having pre-order bonuses exclusive to them is also something I'm not entirely sure on. Again, it depends on what these bonuses are. You've got to keep in mind that businesses need some sort of incentive to convince people to purchase from them instead of their competitors. If it's something minor, like the exclusive armor sets in Shin Megami Tensei IV, then I think it's perfectly reasonable.  If entire missions or levels (not those quick ten minute sequences, i.e Arkham Asylum's "Dem Bones," marketed as missions/levels) are being withheld, then it becomes a problem. Not once have I ever seen an example of this, however, so if you could provide one, I'd be grateful. Also, if the "exclusive" bonuses end up being available for purchase some time later anyway, then there's not much of a problem, assuming they're reasonably priced and not something major. As I said, businesses need incentive, and as long as it remains incentive and not "cut off chunks off the game to screw the consumer" then I don't see what the big deal is. It's only when those exclusive pre-order bonuses remain exclusive pre-order bonuses that it begins to irk me. The same aforementioned armor sets in Shin Megami Tensei IV were never given a public release. Granted, the armors were pretty fugly and only useful for maybe the first five seconds of the game, but the fact that there's content that is literally impossible to get unless you pre-ordered with a certain retailer is a practice I don't support.

My basic idea still stands, though. Don't pre-order with those who exploit the process. It's as simple as that.

Somehow I feel like youre a little biased. Might have something to do with your name maybe

My name? Why, whatever do you mean? Wait, I think I see it! Hold on, give me a second...There it is...Aaaaaaaaand, I lost it. Damn, I was so close to finding out what you meant.

In all seriousness, I already went out of my way to discredit my own opinion by admitting to liking crappy-to-mediocre games, so any biases are rather moot at that point. But, yes, being an absolute Godzilla fanatic, I have a bias towards the fat lizard, and you bet your ass I squealed like a schoolgirl while playing this game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My feeling towards this is he took his impatence for the game sucking. I have had no issues with the controls or anything. A little lag during multiplayer but that was it. I love the game. It is fun and I feel like Godzilla. Some kaiju bosses ai can be overly dickish but nothing you can't compensate for. I think people need to lighten up and enjoy games for what they are.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...