How on earth do I play this game?

Hi, folks:

I fired up this game the other night to play it with a newb to co-op. It was completely maddening because it didn't give us any tips as to how to accomplish ANYTHING. I gather that it assumed we'd played the campaign and so had learned how to do everything there, but we hadn't. We bumbled around for about an hour, accomplishing little, and then my partner rage-quit. There's no online help, no online manual, and a Google search hasn't turned up any sort of help or manual. Do you know of any place I can turn to for this information? I'm not interested in playing the campaign just so I can learn how to play; I only wanna play it co-op. This is so incredibly annoying! I've never encountered this kinda problem before. If I can't solve this problem, I'll just delete it.

I'd be really grateful for a tip.

(Yes, I repeatedly consulted Options so I'd know which controller buttons to use, but we couldn't, for example, figger out how to get the Egyption head things on the top of poles. That's just one example of something we could do to save our lives. There were several things floating in the air we couldn't get at no matter what we did.)

Thanks a bunch,

Binky

Edited by BinkyMelnik

Don't know what to say, the co-op is the main campaign, when I played the game a few days ago in coop it gave us many button prompts with tutorials.

Lara and Carter can grapple others players and shiny anchor points with r1. They also have a torch activated with L1, which can set things in fire.

The two Egyptian characters can raise their staff with r1, which will affect different things, such as moving platforms. They can also press l1 to raise a shield, which other players can jump on for a boost. Both of these characters have magic staffs, which can activate things when shot at.

The game is a puzzle game, it is not going to lay things out for you with waypoints and hand holding, that said, I managed to beat the first 4 levels with no problems.

Edited by Saltyie

X - Jumps

Square - Dodge Roll

O - Interact with objects (grabs balls, levers, open chests)

Touch Pad - opens Inventory/Map/Challanges - You will want to equip items you get (weapons, rings and amulets)

- Rings add a passive benifit, while amulets power activates when you have done damage and/or collected enough gems. Lose it if you get hit

R1 - Special skill -

Lara/Carter Grapple (Can grapple special points and other characters) -

Isis/Horus Staff (Activates blue glowing platforms / traps)

L1 - Lara/Carter Torch - Set braziers alight -  

Isis/Horus Shield (does what a shield does :)

D-Pad - Select an assign weapon

"Egyption head things on the top of poles" those are Red Skulls, they are part of a challenge on each level, its not always obvious as to how to get them. 

Hope that helps

when I played the game a few days ago in coop it gave us many button prompts with tutorials

Really? So you got the usual "Tap [R2] to fire your weapon" instruction," that sorta thing? We didn't get ANY of that. We had to keep stopping while being fired upon to check the Options menu to try to figger stuff out because we weren't getting ANY of that. It was driving me out of my mind. It struck me as cruel. I'm used to every game telling me at the start of the game what to do, not making me mash buttons on my own, hoping I get it right by myself. It left my virgin co-op partner pretty disgusted.

TheBritishBaron, I saw all that stuff in the Options menu, but we ended up leaving everything in the sky behind, which certainly means we ain't gonna be getting a buncha trophies! Whatever was out of reach was left behind because we had no idea how to get it down. We weren't told what they were there for, or how to get them, and given the wretched time we were having, we weren't feeling as if we were gonna have a second playthrough to come back for them. Grrrr.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else just dawned on me: whenever I start a game, there's always a cutscene and narration. We got none of that. It just started up and stuff was firing at us, with no instructions, no backstory, no anything. We had no idea what was happening. We were just plunked into it. I can't think when that's happened before. I've always gotten SOME kinda intro.

I'm playing it local co-op (don't know if that matters), but I do get all those things you say. The game's got an intro with the story, and there are cutscenes everytime you finish a level and all that, as in most games. Also, at the beginning of the game, we got all those prompts saying "Press R2 to fire", "Press X to jump", etc as we kept advancing. Even in further levels, when they introduce some new mechanic (like those balls you've gotta drag to solve puzzles) we still got those messages. Maybe your game is glitched or something, or maybe is related to be online co-op, I'm not sure, but I can tell you it works perfectly fine in local co-op.

The red skulls you say are like bonus (you unlock items by founding all of them in each area), and it's supposed to be a challenge to obtain 'em. That's why sometimes it's hard to figure how to get them. 

I do get all those things you say.

I knew it! It simply didn't make any sense NOT to have those things. Hokay; something musta been wrong, then, though I'm not sure what. I went and deleted my game data and update so that the game's all fresh and I'm gonna ask my co-op partner to do the same so we can try again (even though he was a co-op noob and so played kinda rudely; I. Gonna hafta do some training to turn him into a thoughtful and helpful partner. Ugh.).

Thanks for letting me know that the game's not simply a turd, that in fact, something's wrong, and that we oughtta give it a shot. I like having co-op games to play, and was sad thinking I was gonna hafta toss this one. It was cool having a PS4 game to,play co-op. I appreciate the info a lot!

Binky