Your opinions about the gameplay?

crimsonidol38

What do you think about the gameplay of IA/VT Colorful in general and in comparison to Project Diva and other similar rhythm games?

I guess the thing I dislike most in comparison to PD is the fact that you can barely guess how good or bad your end rating will be. On easy it's rather simple (with the exception of some of the later songs) but I'm sure I will have quite some struggles on some of the later songs, even on normal.

Not really gameplay-wise but I'm also rather disappointed that the number of "unique" costumes is rather low. Most are just color-swaps.

A positive aspect for me is definitely the fact that there are no touch controls. I really hate these scratch notes from PDf/PDf2 and the simple rainbow notes are a welcome replacement. The fact that there's also a difference between the digipad and the face-buttons (e.g.  :cross: is different from :down: ) is also welcome.

Not to forget that the lines shape rather nice symbols in some songs.  :lol:

• Like 1

I'll summarise how I feel about IA/VT with this: I've had the game for exactly two days now and I already have 25 hours playtime.  Send help, I think I'm addicted.  (Don't worry that includes a lot of idle time.  Still addicted though.   :wub: )

Project Diva and IA/VT's gameplay are both very different from each other.  You could probably compare IA/VT to Megpoid the Music♯ more easily.  Regardless, I think IA/VT's gameplay is at least on par if not better than Project Diva's in terms of fun factor.  The timing of the notes took a song or two to get used to but once you're past that, you're on a roll.  Project Diva's really gonna have to up the ante with the next title (there's rumblings of a new console Project Diva according to a recent stream) since IA/VT is providing fair competition.

Also, that presentation.  I rarely say that in games but damn the presentation and design in IA/VT is slick, clean, and damn pretty.

• Like 3

I am going to go with I am enjoying this more then Diva for the following two reasons. 

1, It focuses on music and not so much in the Diva room. So glad there is nothing like that on this game.
2. Even if you struggle on the harder songs you can still get a rank D and its classed as a pass. I only needed this once which was the last song on hard but I rather that then with Diva you miss a few notes and the song stops with a nice way of saying you suck at this game.

• Like 1

I think the only complaint I have is that we can't set our own challenge items in free play mode. The only way to do so is in Step Up Play or Daily Play, and even then the songs/challenge items are randomized and pre-set. Other than that, I definitely enjoyed this game as much as (if not more than) Project Diva. Gonna continue playing this for a while until Project Mirai DX comes out ^.~

• Like 2

What do you think about the gameplay of IA/VT Colorful in general and in comparison to Project Diva and other similar rhythm games?

Gameplay itself is perhaps not as sharp as in Project Diva but the undulating note lines are most delightful. Also, I agree that fully relying on good old buttons rather than touch screen controls is a veritable godsend.

That said, IA/VT's rhythm seems to rely mostly on vocals that often drown into a cacophony of sound. Several tracks sound more like two or three songs playing at once, making it hard to discern any actual rhythm to follow. The sheer number of songs was impressive at first but after playing through them all, there seem to be just a dozen or so that sound "right" from the get-go. Music-wise, it's definitely quantity over quality.

Still, I can't help but appreciate how borderline (safe) hits don't break a combo and while the overall visual splendor might not be on par with Project Diva, it's still pleasing enough and probably miles cheaper than directing and producing a full-blown AMV for each and every track.

On whole, Project Diva still feels like the pinnacle of Japanese rhythm gaming but even with its issues, IA/VT is easily the strongest contender yet. Not brilliant, but certainly better than one might have thought.

• Like 1

I played project diva f 2nd quite a lot and aside from a couple of the hardest songs on extreme I found it fairly easy after a while and I'm so glad I got IA/VT cause it provides the challenge I've been wanting. I think project diva is much better quality but I mainly want a challenge and not so much a diva room, so if I had to pick between the two I think IA/VT would just manage to beat project diva.

• Like 1

I played project diva f 2nd quite a lot and aside from a couple of the hardest songs on extreme I found it fairly easy after a while and I'm so glad I got IA/VT cause it provides the challenge I've been wanting. I think project diva is much better quality but I mainly want a challenge and not so much a diva room, so if I had to pick between the two I think IA/VT would just manage to beat project diva.

Really? I found IA/VT tons easier than Project Diva o.o I get perfects the majority of the time on IA/VT whereas I've only ever had one on PD.

• Like 1

Really? I found IA/VT tons easier than Project Diva o.o I get perfects the majority of the time on IA/VT whereas I've only ever had one on PD.

In my opinion, Project Diva has easier mechanical play/tracking (5 unique notes with stationary targets that follow a snake-like, traceable pattern), but strict combo requirements. One safe and your combo is broken and say bye-bye to your perfect. IA/VT is far more forgiving and thus easier to perfect/combo, but has more difficult mechanical play/tracking (8 unique notes with a moving target wheel that may spawn notes from opposing directions in syncopated patterns). Also, I feel like the timing window for Cools is much smaller than that in Project Diva.

Edited by simply ahri
  • Like 2

In my opinion, Project Diva has easier mechanical play (5 unique notes with stationary targets once they appear), but is far less forgiving. One safe and your combo is broken and say bye-bye to your perfect. IA/VT is far easier to perfect/combo, but has more difficult mechanical play/tracking (8 unique notes with a moving target wheel). Also, I feel like the timing window for Cools is much smaller than that in Project Diva.

Yeah that's pretty much spot on, but overall I find it easier to play and as a result slightly more enjoyable. Although I do love the Project Diva games of course cx

• Like 2

In my opinion, Project Diva has easier mechanical play (5 unique notes with stationary targets once they appear), but is far less forgiving. One safe and your combo is broken and say bye-bye to your perfect. IA/VT is far easier to perfect/combo, but has more difficult mechanical play/tracking (8 unique notes with a moving target wheel). Also, I feel like the timing window for Cools is much smaller than that in Project Diva.

Yes this this is why I find IA/VT harder. I like playing tricky songs and trying to get a half decent score and the tricker the better, getting a perfect is nice but not what I'm really after. Project divas controls were too easy and I could get through the extreme songs and end with an excellent (except for the really tricky stuff) while IA/VT controls are harder meaning I'm not getting as high grades as I would like meaning I have to try harder and overall making it more fun for me.

• Like 1

Yeah that's pretty much spot on, but overall I find it easier to play and as a result slightly more enjoyable. Although I do love the Project Diva games of course cx

Yeah, I can imagine. At least IA/VT gives you the option to be able to finish a song even if you struggle with the notes, so at least you can see yourself improve over time as you progress from a C to a B and so on. In Project Diva it's just like, "Oh, you suck? WELL TOO BAD YOU'RE NOT PRIVILEGED ENOUGH TO SEE THE END OF THE SONG AND I'M NOT GOING TO LET YOU CONTINUE TO EVEN GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO PRACTICE."

Edited by simply ahri
  • Like 3

In my opinion, Project Diva has easier mechanical play/tracking (5 unique notes with stationary targets that follow a snake-like, traceable pattern), but strict combo requirements. One safe and your combo is broken and say bye-bye to your perfect. IA/VT is far more forgiving and thus easier to perfect/combo, but has more difficult mechanical play/tracking (8 unique notes with a moving target wheel that may spawn notes from opposing directions in syncopated patterns). Also, I feel like the timing window for Cools is much smaller than that in Project Diva.

Definitely agreed.  IA/VT seems like one of those 'easy to play, difficult to master' rhythm games when it comes to mechanics.  Project Diva lets the player off on a lot of things, e.g. being able to swap between  :down: and  :cross:  for face notes, but in turn amps the difficulty to ridiculous levels to compensate (*cough* Gekishou *cough*).

• Like 3