PS+ prices to rise (EU only so far)

StrickenBiged

Hey all

Pushsquare is reporting that the 1 month and 3 month PS+ subscription packages are going to increase soon. 

If you use these subscriptions, you may want to consider going annual to save a bit more dosh after 1st September. 

No increase in the annual subscription for the time being. 

I think it's a bit rich to be increasing the price when there are still so many issues with PSN, but hey ho. Now that PS+ is mandatory for online gaming on PS4, they know they've got us over a barrel.

If it's EU only, I want to blame VAT. If it's worldwide, I would hope that they either include ps now in the new price or are upgrading the servers.

On a side note: I was unaware that people bought the 1 month and 3 month options. They're both more expensive per day than the year sub anyway.

Really depends how much they want to yank it up by, I can live without Plus. 

Hell, here's something I bet you thought you'd never hear, "most of my online gaming, is done on my Wii U"

I genuinely can't remember the last time I played online on PS4, I did the other day for the multiplayer match trophy in Rocket League, but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

Hell, this could actually be good for me, if they jack up the price enough to make me sod off, I could finally start getting through a bit more of my backlog.

Really depends how much they want to yank it up by, I can live without Plus. 

Hell, here's something I bet you thought you'd never hear, "most of my online gaming, is done on my Wii U"

I genuinely can't remember the last time I played online on PS4, I did the other day for the multiplayer match trophy in Rocket League, but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

Hell, this could actually be good for me, if they jack up the price enough to make me sod off, I could finally start getting through a bit more of my backlog.

It seems like a 25% increase in price. The £11.99 3 month sub is going to £14.99 according to the article. That's the UK anyway, and only that sub.

• Like 1

If it's EU only, I want to blame VAT.

Nope, its the exchangerate between € and $. The € gets more and more weaker. Just take a look at the exchangeratehistory. 

edit: there is not vat on things like that. (prepaidcards and stuff)

Edited by Neputyunu

Nope, its the exchangerate between € and $. The € gets more and more weaker. Just take a look at the exchangeratehistory.

I doubt it's either. VAT is passed on to the consumers, and does not affect the company's revenue streams as they can claim it back from the taxing authority. SCEE is a separate corporate entity to SCEA, so the transatlantic exchange rate shouldn't matter. The difference in Euro to Yen might make a difference though, as SCEE ultimately pays its profits to Sony HQ in Japan. 

Everyone should buy the yearly subscriptions anyways. it saves you a lot more than purchasing 12 one month or 4 three months.

I know too many people who live dollar to dollar. They'll buy the monthly this month, not have enough money to buy another next month, then scrape enough together to buy a month the following month.

What everyone should do and reality often clash. 

• Like 2

Wow EU only. Sony keeps shitting on EU. I;m so glad I buy the annual subscription.

edit: there is not vat on things like that. (prepaidcards and stuff)

That has nothing to do with it. When the € was too strong a few years ago, the prices stayed the same.

If the prices are going to increase then they need to start making the subscription worth it..... Cos so far the sales haven't been too great, I haven't bought much off there recently and apart from rocket league there hasn't been much making the subscription to render the current price, let alone to justify a price increase from the current.

Like... seriously?

Is there a point? I don't know many people who would actually buy 3 months subscriptions o.O

I mean... people who want save storage plus buy year subs and those who only want games buy 1 month...

Well, okay, Sony, if you think it's good and it brings more people to year subs, good for you?

In the other forum, Im passively hanging around, people say they are going to cancel their sub or that they will move to XBox or PC.

Many are complaining about PSN... the funny thing is, when they all would move - instead of just crying around - PSN will get automatically better! :awesome:

I know too many people who live dollar to dollar. They'll buy the monthly this month, not have enough money to buy another next month, then scrape enough together to buy a month the following month.

What everyone should do and reality often clash. 

That's true. I know people like that too. But they should save up for a few months and get the yearly. If they really are living dollar to dollar, they shouldn't buy monthly as it ends up being a bigger waste.

If they put to the side the price of a monthly, which I think is 10, then 5 months later they have the one for a yearly, which is 50.

They save $70 assuming they buy the monthly every month, and even with your scenario of buy every other month, thats a saving of $10. For a person living dollar to dollar, every amount matters. Even that $10.

That's true. I know people like that too. But they should save up for a few months and get the yearly. If they really are living dollar to dollar, they shouldn't buy monthly as it ends up being a bigger waste.

If they put to the side the price of a monthly, which I think is 10, then 5 months later they have the one for a yearly, which is 50.

They save $70 assuming they buy the monthly every month, and even with your scenario of buy every other month, thats a saving of $10. For a person living dollar to dollar, every amount matters. Even that $10.

Well, in reality, the people I know need to stop spending money on gaming all together until they get their lives in order. But they never will. "Savings" is not a concept they understand.

I'm afraid the price increase will deter potential new Plus members who either don't know about the free trials or went through the trials and want to try it a little longer without the larger cost of the annual amount.