Games with Female Leads

Remilia Scarlet

I am often asked by my friends if I can recommend any video games with a female lead. Which is understandable when the industry is dominated by male protagonists. The answer, yes I can. Here is my list of what I consider the best games with female leads. Please note that I am not including games that allow you to create a character.

Wet (M, PS3, Xbox 360)

Bayonetta (M, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U)

Assassin's Creed Liberation (M, PS Vita, PS3 [HD], PC, Xbox 360)

Alien Isolation (M, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Hyperdimension Neptunia (entire series) (T-M, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, PC [first game only])

Final Fantasy VI (T, GBA, SNES, PS1, PSN, Android, iOS, Wii)

Final Fantasy X-2 (T, PS2, PS Vita [HD], PS3 [HD], PS4 [HD])

Final Fantasy XII (T, PS2)

Final Fantasy XIII (T, PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (T, PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

Final Fantasy Type-0 (M, PSP, PS4 [HD], Xbox One [HD])

Beyond Two Souls (M, PS3)

Drakengard 3 (M, PS3)

Mugen Souls (T, PS3)

The Walking Dead - Season 2 (M, PS3, PS Vita, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Android, PC, Mac OSX, iOS, Ouya)

Dead or Alive 5 (M, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Blade Kitten (T, PSN, Xbox 360, PC)

Tomb Raider (entire series) (T-M, Android, Dreamcast, GBA, iOS, Mac OSX, MS-DOS, PC, Windows Phone, N-Gage 2.0, GameCube, NDS, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSN, SEGA Saturn, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, XBLA)

Resident Evil 2 (M, PS1, PSN, Game.com [console not a website], PC, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube)

What are your recommendations? Do you agree? Post your thoughts in the comments below.

• Like 1

I would consider adding/suggesting Final Fantasy X. While the character on screen when you move around is male, the entire story is Yuna's (a female's) story despite what Auron and the protagonist say.

Mass Effect is also worth considering. Normally I would exclude games where you choose the gender (like Elder Scrolls and Fallout), but Mass Effect has a story with fully developed characters. That and there is a noted difference in the male-player character and female-player character's delivery.

There are more, but those are the first two that come to mind besides the obvious (Lara Croft and such).