National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I typically make this thread every year and since no one has made one yet, I'll make this one. As a Jets fan I'm excited this year. I'm hoping Geno Smith pulls it together because the rest of the team is on point. Last year couldn't have been worse, especially with the Patriots winning the Superbowl.

As a Peyton Manning fan, I hope we see the best of him this year, and not the shell of him that we saw near the end of last year.

AFC East is going to be tough. Dolphins and Bills have significantly improved.

I never saw the 49ers having such an epic collapse. I would be surprised if they got more than 5 wins this year.

I see Andrew Luck reaching the SuperBowl this year. I still think NFC wins Superbowl regardless of who makes it in. They just have more dominant teams overall.

I'll post my predictions for the Playoffs and Superbowl soon.

Edited by Stevieboy
Edited title.
  • Like 1

As a 49ers fan, it's been nothing but bad news since midway through last season (you know, when they started sucking for no reason).  I don't think Kaep was worth a shit last year, and with all the changes in the off-season, he may just have his worst year yet.  I can't disagree with you about 5 wins.  Hell, I'd take 5, that's probably better than they're going to do.  My only hope now is that they win more games than the Raiders...

I also hope to see Peyton have a career year.  Denver has done exactly what the Colts did for 10+ years, and rely entirely on Peyton.  The offense didn't magically embrace the run game at the end of last year, they had no choice.  Peyton's almost 40, he had no juice left carrying the team through the better part of the season.  They better try using him more sparingly this year, including putting in the backup once a game is in the bag.  Otherwise, no chance for a deep playoff run, assuming they even make it.

Man, I hate the Pats... I also hate the Seahawks.  At least the Seahawks will have to cut out most of their mid-level talent next year.  Gonna suck to watch them dominate the NFC West this year, though :(  Despite the shens over Deflate-gate, also glad to see Brady ride the bench for a few games.  Maybe the Pats will start 0-4, wouldn't that be nice...  The only good way last year's super bowl could have ended would have been if both teams were somehow disqualified.  Can the Pats even win a super bowl without scandal?  Tuck Rule gets em to their first one (it was a fumble with a clear recovery, they lost that game), Spygate gets em another one (should've taken the trophy away), and now we have deflate-gate.  I'm sure there was another scandal for their other win, but they had to get away with 1, right?  God I hate the Pats... my dad's from Boston, love the Red Sox, absolutely hates the Pats, that should tell you something.

Finally, the Colts.  I love the Colts.  My parents live in Indy, I've rooted for the Colts after my 9ers as a kid, and once Peyton was drafted, it made rooting for them easy.  I'd love to see Luck take them to the SB this year, and as long as they don't play my 9ers (hahaha), I would want them to win too.  I really don't care for too many NFC teams, but I'd be ok with a Colts-Giants or Colts-Saints SB.  Just as long as the Seahwawks, Cowboys, Pats, Panthers, Steelers, Raiders, Chargers, Lions, and Bucs are no where near it :P

As A Dallas Cowboys fan, I'm hoping we can go further then last year and win it

So many other story lines to watch the year, this season will be great as always

P.s Hall of fame game tonight Vikings Vs Steelers, should be as always great to watch

As a 49ers fan, it's been nothing but bad news since midway through last season (you know, when they started sucking for no reason).  I don't think Kaep was worth a shit last year, and with all the changes in the off-season, he may just have his worst year yet.  I can't disagree with you about 5 wins.  Hell, I'd take 5, that's probably better than they're going to do.  My only hope now is that they win more games than the Raiders...

I also hope to see Peyton have a career year.  Denver has done exactly what the Colts did for 10+ years, and rely entirely on Peyton.  The offense didn't magically embrace the run game at the end of last year, they had no choice.  Peyton's almost 40, he had no juice left carrying the team through the better part of the season.  They better try using him more sparingly this year, including putting in the backup once a game is in the bag.  Otherwise, no chance for a deep playoff run, assuming they even make it.

Man, I hate the Pats... I also hate the Seahawks.  At least the Seahawks will have to cut out most of their mid-level talent next year.  Gonna suck to watch them dominate the NFC West this year, though :(  Despite the shens over Deflate-gate, also glad to see Brady ride the bench for a few games.  Maybe the Pats will start 0-4, wouldn't that be nice...  The only good way last year's super bowl could have ended would have been if both teams were somehow disqualified.  Can the Pats even win a super bowl without scandal?  Tuck Rule gets em to their first one (it was a fumble with a clear recovery, they lost that game), Spygate gets em another one (should've taken the trophy away), and now we have deflate-gate.  I'm sure there was another scandal for their other win, but they had to get away with 1, right?  God I hate the Pats... my dad's from Boston, love the Red Sox, absolutely hates the Pats, that should tell you something.

Finally, the Colts.  I love the Colts.  My parents live in Indy, I've rooted for the Colts after my 9ers as a kid, and once Peyton was drafted, it made rooting for them easy.  I'd love to see Luck take them to the SB this year, and as long as they don't play my 9ers (hahaha), I would want them to win too.  I really don't care for too many NFC teams, but I'd be ok with a Colts-Giants or Colts-Saints SB.  Just as long as the Seahwawks, Cowboys, Pats, Panthers, Steelers, Raiders, Chargers, Lions, and Bucs are no where near it :P

I put what I'm replying to in bold. :P

I think Kaepernick is still entertaining to watch though. I wish more QB's had a running game.

Idk about Peyton...I hope that Favre didn't start something where all older QB's just keep going on when it's just time to hang up the uniform for good.

I never liked MLB to begin with...but when someone told me Baseball was the hardest sport and required more coordination than other sports I literally fell to the floor laughing.

You won't have to worry about any of the FL teams making it far. I might have been born in Boston, but I lived in Florida for 9 years and even the people born there pretend their NFL teams don't exist lol. (except the Dolphins and even then...they don't talk much.)

I'm a 49ers fan from Italy... Was a tough offseason (I loved Harbaugh as a HC, plus Gore was a great tank behind) and seems not over yet (with Smith's release we lost another piece in D after great mens like Willis, Borland and Justin Smith). I'm going to buy the NFL Pass anyway hoping to see nice football, and maybe more than 4 or 5 wins...

Edited by Zio_Sam87

As a Jets fan I'm excited this year. I'm hoping Geno Smith pulls it together because the rest of the team is on point. Last year couldn't have been worse, especially with the Patriots winning the Superbowl.

As a lifelong (and very middle-aged) Jets fan, history and experience means I'm conflicted.  I'm trying not to get too excited, because every time the Jets have an offseason that encourages that sort of thing I only wind up disappointed.  I don't describe this experience as "Sisyphus pushing the rock up the mountain" for nothing.

Geno Smith could pull it together.  Or Ryan Fitzpatrick could come riding in on the white horse to save the day.  But I still expect something to go catastrophically and comically wrong if either one happens (and my expected culprit is either Antonio Cromartie and/or Buster Skrine).

NFC PREDICTIONS:

Green Bay Packers take the North (Obviously)

Dallas Cowboys take the East

New Orleans Saints take the South (I hope)

Seahawks take the West (Unfortunately)

I don't see any team in the north taking it from the Packers anytime soon (my born team, from Wisconsin), and I hope the Saints cam pull it together and recover from last years awful year. (My adopted team). I wouldn't mind if the Cowboys were able to get back to their once former glory, and dominate the east, I don't really care for any other team in the east. Unfortunately there is still the Seahawks. I only like Russel Wilson.

AFC PREDICITIONS:

Baltimore Ravens take the North

Despite set backs, New England Patriots still take the East.

Indianapolis Colts take the South

San Diego Chargers take the West (I hope not...)

Alright starting with the Patriots. I hate them. Despite this though I could still see them taking the division, although the Bills are extremely improved and the Jets did get Revis back. this is possibly the hottest division to watch this season. I like the Ravens and Colts, so I hope one of them make the Super Bowl this year. Chargers....I hate Philip Rivers and his stupid face. However I choose them to take their division. I could realistically see this being Peyton's swan song and his last season. I think his age will finally catch up to him and this will be his last season and he will struggle announcing his retirement mid season.

SUPER BOWL PREDICITION:

So as much as I would love the Saints to win another Super Bowl, the Packers and the Seahawks are the teams to beat in the NFC, and hoping the a patriots don't get anywhere near the AFC title game, I hope it's the Ravens or Colts...Packers VS Colts Super Bowl Winner:Green Bay Packers 38-28

Seahawks fan here.  Gonna be an interesting one.  Offense gets a huge boost, defense takes a step back.

So far my guys have been kind of disappointing.  After a couple years of seeing them gel and preach family I wasn't expecting them to be the divas division when contract time came up, and I especially didn't expect this nonsense from Kam.  Thinking the Rams might be the sleeper team in the NFC West this year.  Still expect the Hawks to take it but anyone who's team is in the (NFC) West knows that the Rams are always a tough game.  Then there's the 9ers... honestly, I can't even hate them anymore.  Their offseason has been so horrific that I don't have the words.  The rivalry was fun while it lasted and I hope they can rebuild to re-ignite it sooner than later.

Seems like the Packers are the new rivalry for the time being, which is tough.  I've always liked them (even though I still think Clay can be a dirty player) and it's not easy to want them to lose, but, until the Hawks are out of it, I will.

Finally, will someone PLEASE give the Colts some competition in the South!!  I mean c'mon.  I get that everyone here seems to love Luck and co. but it's just gross watching that division be spoon-fed to them every year.  The East looks like it might finally be giving the Pats some much needed competition this year, not enough for another team to win the division, but still, at least they're trying.  The South on the other hand... just... horrible.  Seems like every year when the "strength of schedule" lists come out at the beginning, and end, of the year #32 is always the Colts.

I put what I'm replying to in bold. :P

I think Kaepernick is still entertaining to watch though. I wish more QB's had a running game.

Idk about Peyton...I hope that Favre didn't start something where all older QB's just keep going on when it's just time to hang up the uniform for good.

I never liked MLB to begin with...but when someone told me Baseball was the hardest sport and required more coordination than other sports I literally fell to the floor laughing.

You won't have to worry about any of the FL teams making it far. I might have been born in Boston, but I lived in Florida for 9 years and even the people born there pretend their NFL teams don't exist lol. (except the Dolphins and even then...they don't talk much.)

If Kaeps not your QB, then sure, he can be electrifying, but he was so inconsistent last year, his regression has been a nightmare to watch, and without the O-line he had during the 9ers last super bowl run, I doubt he will be very productive this year.  But sure, you get a solid 5 guys up front, and a TE and RB who can block, and Kaep can make magic.  He blew me away in that playoff game against Green Bay a few years back, but I just don't see that happening again.

I agree completely, and I hated Favre, so I agree completely and then some? lol  But in all seriousness, Peyton is probably the most skilled and meticulous QB to ever play the game, and when he finally does hang up his jersey for good, it's going to be a sad day.  20 years from now, when sports reels show highlights of the best who ever lived, there will be more than a few Peyton clips in there.  I got nothing against Eli, even like the guy, was very grateful for both those SB runs, heh, but the fact that he has 2 rings and Peyton only one makes me cringe... can't imagine what that's like for him at home.  If he can scrounge up one more, I feel like he can retire happy.

Geno Smith is highly overrated, get ready to be disappointed Jets.

In other news, water is wet and the sun rises in the East.

Not that it matters right now.  The Jets just reported that Geno Smith is out 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw because a (now-released) 2nd-year linebacker punched him in the locker room this morning.

Same old Jets.

In other news, water is wet and the sun rises in the East.

Not that it matters right now.  The Jets just reported that Geno Smith is out 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw because a (now-released) 2nd-year linebacker punched him in the locker room this morning.

Same old Jets.

Wire his jaw shut like Crosby :P

Broncos fan here. A couple of people were saying that they'd like to see Peyton Manning have a great year. Well I hope he does too obviously but his numbers won't be off the charts this year like they were in recent past years. The Broncos, now under Coach Kobiak instead of Fox, are turning to a zone running offensive scheme and will be running the ball a lot more this year. Not to say Peyton can't still have a great year but I'm just saying I wouldn't pick him for your fantasy football team if that's what you're in to. 

Can't wait for football season to finally start! That Hall of Fame pre-season game was pretty boring but at least it was something to quench people's thirst. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not really into NFL but been keeping up with the 49ers game today. Only because of Jarryd Hayne, who used to play for my team in the NRL over here. He seems to just be killing it.

I never watch pre-season football.  It's worse than college or high school ball.  You never see any real reflection of what the regular season is going to look like.  Teams like the Raiders go balls out cause they win half their games for the year in the pre-season.  Good teams don't care, they lose all 4 games then go 6-2 or 7-1 the first half of the regular season.  Pre-season is just... portal cake.

All that said, if this guy can stay healthy, maybe the 9ers special teams won't suck this year.

Btw, when I lived in Australia I loved going to Rugby and Footy matches.  Those guys have moves, and it shows in this kids clips (just watched a couple).  It's not like NFL players today who just run straight until they get tackled, rinse/repeat[boring].

• Like 1

I've been a Skins fan since day 1 and my goodness is this looking like a stinker of a season

In three weeks we've lost our starting quarterback, wide receiver and now three tight ends (one of them being the starter)

To make matters worse for the TE we now have Jordan Reed starting who can't play more than two games in a row within being fatally wounded. Oh redskins

I never watch pre-season football.  It's worse than college or high school ball.  You never see any real reflection of what the regular season is going to look like.  Teams like the Raiders go balls out cause they win half their games for the year in the pre-season.  Good teams don't care, they lose all 4 games then go 6-2 or 7-1 the first half of the regular season.  Pre-season is just... portal cake.

All that said, if this guy can stay healthy, maybe the 9ers special teams won't suck this year.

Btw, when I lived in Australia I loved going to Rugby and Footy matches.  Those guys have moves, and it shows in this kids clips (just watched a couple).  It's not like NFL players today who just run straight until they get tackled, rinse/repeat[boring].

Lol that seems to be the way things are here too. You kinda want your team to not do much pre-season then kill it in when the season starts.

Well here's hoping, he's been injury free for the last few years so it's promising.

You lived here? Cool as. Lol yeah we've got flair here with footy, it's all about those moves and just being generally entertaining. Maybe with Hayne's influence you'll see a bit more than just run forward and be tackled.

I've been a Skins fan since day 1 and my goodness is this looking like a stinker of a season

In three weeks we've lost our starting quarterback, wide receiver and now three tight ends (one of them being the starter)

To make matters worse for the TE we now have Jordan Reed starting who can't play more than two games in a row within being fatally wounded. Oh redskins

I'm so sorry, I hope this includes when they used to be good to at least balance out some of the pain.  Remembering 80s and 90s 9ers was all that kept me watching in the 2000s.  Well at least you can't blame this one on Shanahan - "It's cool Griff, your leg looks broke, but just go back out there for a few more series against the Seahawks red hot D, nothing bad can happen, I promise!"

Also, remember waaaaay back 3 years ago when people compared RG3 to Andrew Luck... yea...

Lol that seems to be the way things are here too. You kinda want your team to not do much pre-season then kill it in when the season starts.

Well here's hoping, he's been injury free for the last few years so it's promising.

You lived here? Cool as. Lol yeah we've got flair here with footy, it's all about those moves and just being generally entertaining. Maybe with Hayne's influence you'll see a bit more than just run forward and be tackled.

Yeah, lived in Melbourne in '06, loved it.  I tried Sydney for a week, but it reminded me too much of LA.  Melbourne had the perfect 'big city with small town appeal' feel to it.  I did travel all over the east coast and down to Taz too.  Never got to the west coast... someday.  But yeah, Footy and Rugby matches were just so energetic and fast paced, I loved it.  I enjoyed Cricket too, but I was living in Melbourne during the Commonwealth Games and during the Footy season, so rugby and footy were everywhere and I only went to maybe 2 cricket matches.  Meanwhile I went to like 4 rugby 7s 'Games' matches alone, lol.  Someday I'd love to head back out to Aus too, maybe when the kids are older and can appreciate it like I did :)

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1