National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

17 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I honestly didn't expect such a beat down. I figured the Vikings would have given the Patriots a better game.

As much as my New England brethren might hate me...I would like to have seen the Vikings win the Superbowl in their home state. Would have been cool. (Wouldn't they have been the first ever?)

yeah i too thought it would've been closer, maybe the Saints should've won and they might have made a better game 

• Like 2

Well, that was a pathetic performance by the Vikings and...unfortunately, not all that surprising. That stadium is ridiculously hard to play in. For those thinking the Saints would've made it a better game... Probably. But the Eagles were going to wipe the floor with any team that walked in there. The Vikings were not a product of an easy schedule. The Eagles are not the underdogs everybody has pegged them to be. The Eagles are a very, VERY good team that has a legitimate chance of defeating Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 52. Will they do it? I'm not sure. But if they play like that, anything could happen.

Hats off to the Jags too. They showed they can hang with the big boys, and they were in a prime position to win that game. Feel bad for Bortles too, because that was the best I've ever seen him play...

As much as it pains me to say this, the better teams won today. Should be a good final game. Good luck, Philly!

43 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I honestly didn't expect such a beat down. I figured the Vikings would have given the Patriots a better game.

As much as my New England brethren might hate me...I would like to have seen the Vikings win the Superbowl in their home state. Would have been cool. (Wouldn't they have been the first ever?)

Yes. That would have been the first time a Superbowl team ever played at home, let alone, win it at home.

I liked the Case Keenum storyline and wanted to see the storybook ending for him, but I guess we'll see Tom Brady win Superbowls until he's 50... Ugh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yes. That would have been the first time a Superbowl team ever played at home, let alone, win it at home.

I liked the Case Keenum storyline and wanted to see the storybook ending for him, but I guess we'll see Tom Brady win Superbowls until he's 50... Ugh.

That would have been an incredible record. Then again...there's an equal chance of the world being flooded by the tears of people realizing that the Patriots had the opportunity to defeat a team in their own stadium in the Superbowl too...

I have to root for the Patriots again. My friend's list consists of 2 Giants fans, an Eagles fan, and a Jets fan. I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't root against them .:devil: 

1 hour ago, wafflestomper810 said:

I'm so tired of the AFC always being the same thing.  I don't even want to watch the NFL anymore.

Amen. Was really hoping the Jags would pull off an upset. And now, I probably won't even watch the Super Bowl. Patriots (again..) and a Cowboys' division rival? Screw that noise. 

10 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hats off to the Jags too. They showed they can hang with the big boys, and they were in a prime position to win that game. Feel bad for Bortles too, because that was the best I've ever seen him play...

Agreed, though to be honest, I was impressed with Bortles throughout the playoffs. His decision making in the last two games was quite good. It will be interesting to see if he continues to develop, or if he ends up being another Sanchez whose playoff success gives him far more time than he should have gotten.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

My friend's list consists of 2 Giants fans, an Eagles fan, and a Jets fan. I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't root against them .:devil: 

The Jets fan has problems enough:  He roots for the Jets.  If you're going to root against him out of spite or "to be a good friend", that's simply gratuitous.

5 hours ago, acasser said:

The Jets fan has problems enough:  He roots for the Jets.  If you're going to root against him out of spite or "to be a good friend", that's simply gratuitous.

It's not out of spite, it's just a way to get them all hot and bothered lol. Since these are actual friends, actually I consider them more family than my own blood relatives, they know when I'm being serious or sarcastic. We're not a bunch of pansies that can't take a joke. They know I'm from Boston do you think they ever stfu when NE is handed a loss even though it doesn't make a difference to me? Nope. It's just us joking around. (Don't let that fool you into thinking that's why I root against my friends.) The Giants fans sometimes wade into fantard territory, they are all from NY and are crazy proud of it, but none of us actually are. (Except my Titans loving cousin...still don't get it.)

I don't actually have a favorite team as I've stated before in this thread somewhere, I think. I generally just enjoy a good game and tend to never go in depth with stats or remembering every player. (Not that I could with my shitty memory) I prefer to root for a player than a team. Even if both teams have a player I enjoy watching I'll hope they do well. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't actually have a favorite team as I've stated before in this thread somewhere, I think. I generally just enjoy a good game and tend to never go in depth with stats or remembering every player. (Not that I could with my shitty memory) I prefer to root for a player than a team. Even if both teams have a player I enjoy watching I'll hope they do well. 

I was like that for years. Honestly, sports in general are weird. We cheer for "teams," but what are teams, really? They're just a bunch of guys (or girls) that happen to be wearing the same jersey at the same time. We as fans are expected to stick with a single team our entire lives (or risk being called "bandwagoners"), but players move from team to team all the time. Thus, it's always seemed to be kinda ironic that we're so defensive as fans when it comes to loyalty...

That said, obviously there are some exceptions, like Tom Brady. Say what you want about him, but I like the fact that he's ALWAYS been a Patriot. And I hope he retires that way. (After this season would be nice.) I know trades and free agency are all the rage these days, but I think it'd be nice if teams were forced to show more loyalty to their franchise players. It's always a bummer each year when I'm watching a football game and they call the name of some player who used to be a Viking, but now he's playing for some other team. It's like, what? Am I no longer supposed to cheer for this guy?

Fantasy football has kinda rejuvenated me, though. It gives me a reason to watch teams that I normally wouldn't, and cheer for players that I otherwise wouldn't care about. I do find myself caring about players who have never even been on my team, for whatever reason, and wanting them to be successful. Like, as much as I dislike the Eagles fan base (sorry to anyone here -- but I used to live in Philly and I know how they are), I think Nick Foles is great and I'd love to see him win a ring. It also helps that he and Keenum are good friends, as are a lot of NFL players on different teams. A few years ago, I was a big Tebow fan, and that playoff win over the Steelers was one of my favorite football games of all time. And I love Pat McAfee for a lot of reasons.

I think it makes football more fun to watch that way. I'll always have the Vikings, who are "my" team, but I have some kind of investment in every team, I think. There are teams I don't like (the Packers, for obvious reasons, and the Saints because of their head coach), teams I want to have successful campaigns just because I feel for their fan bases (Browns and Bills mostly), and players that I want to root for, even if I don't care about the team. In that sense, I guess I'd consider myself more of a fan of the sport...

But I'll bleed purple and gold 'til I die.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I was like that for years. Honestly, sports in general are weird. We cheer for "teams," but what are teams, really? They're just a bunch of guys (or girls) that happen to be wearing the same jersey at the same time. We as fans are expected to stick with a single team our entire lives (or risk being called "bandwagoners"), but players move from team to team all the time. Thus, it's always seemed to be kinda ironic that we're so defensive as fans when it comes to loyalty...

That said, obviously there are some exceptions, like Tom Brady. Say what you want about him, but I like the fact that he's ALWAYS been a Patriot. And I hope he retires that way. (After this season would be nice.) I know trades and free agency are all the rage these days, but I think it'd be nice if teams were forced to show more loyalty to their franchise players. It's always a bummer each year when I'm watching a football game and they call the name of some player who used to be a Viking, but now he's playing for some other team. It's like, what? Am I no longer supposed to cheer for this guy?

Fantasy football has kinda rejuvenated me, though. It gives me a reason to watch teams that I normally wouldn't, and cheer for players that I otherwise wouldn't care about. I do find myself caring about players who have never even been on my team, for whatever reason, and wanting them to be successful. Like, as much as I dislike the Eagles fan base (sorry to anyone here -- but I used to live in Philly and I know how they are), I think Nick Foles is great and I'd love to see him win a ring. It also helps that he and Keenum are good friends, as are a lot of NFL players on different teams. A few years ago, I was a big Tebow fan, and that playoff win over the Steelers was one of my favorite football games of all time. And I love Pat McAfee for a lot of reasons.

I think it makes football more fun to watch that way. I'll always have the Vikings, who are "my" team, but I have some kind of investment in every team, I think. There are teams I don't like (the Packers, for obvious reasons, and the Saints because of their head coach), teams I want to have successful campaigns just because I feel for their fan bases (Browns and Bills mostly), and players that I want to root for, even if I don't care about the team. In that sense, I guess I'd consider myself more of a fan of the sport...

But I'll bleed purple and gold 'til I die.

For me it's just an odd thing to have such a blind loyalty to anything. Nobody chooses where they are born. Personally, I fucking hate NE. Especially Massachusetts so there's zero loyalty for me anyways. I'd rather be back in florida. I do enjoy watching Tom Brady, but the same as I like watching any other qb that puts on a good show. Shit I even liked watching Kaep years ago when he would run the ball.

I've never cared for what people think of my views. If a player bounces around teams then I'm gonna enjoy watching the player as long as they remain entertaining...and it's on a team I can watch lol. (I don't get to see a majority of the games) If I'm gonna put as much bias into my decisions as blind loyalty plays a part in others I might as well say "well the Saints uniform is black and gold and I like that color scheme. The Bucs are based off of pirates and I like pirate themed things so I guess they're my team too/instead of."

In a decade or so another team could emerge similar to the Patriots and all of a sudden they'll become the new team to hate on. I prefer to keep my distaste for players such as Burfict or Suh. I know someone will bring up Gronk and yeah in that moment he was no better, but for people who can think without emotions attached know he's not on that level of scum.

I don't know anything about fantasy football so I can't comment much on that.

• Like 1

2 more coaching vacancies are filled 

with Arizona Cardinals hiring for Carolina Panthers defensive co-ordinator Steve Wilks https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cardinals-nearing-a-deal-to-hire-panthers-steve-wilks-as-next-head-coach/ now they just need to get a Qb

And The New York Giants make it official that Pat Shurmur will be there new head coach https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pat-shurmur-officially-named-giants-coach-one-day-after-rough-outing-with-vikings/ surely this time he will have a better record then his 9-23 with the Browns 

On 1/22/2018 at 8:40 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

For me it's just an odd thing to have such a blind loyalty to anything. Nobody chooses where they are born. Personally, I fucking hate NE. Especially Massachusetts so there's zero loyalty for me anyways. I'd rather be back in florida. I do enjoy watching Tom Brady, but the same as I like watching any other qb that puts on a good show. Shit I even liked watching Kaep years ago when he would run the ball.

I've never cared for what people think of my views. If a player bounces around teams then I'm gonna enjoy watching the player as long as they remain entertaining...and it's on a team I can watch lol. (I don't get to see a majority of the games) If I'm gonna put as much bias into my decisions as blind loyalty plays a part in others I might as well say "well the Saints uniform is black and gold and I like that color scheme. The Bucs are based off of pirates and I like pirate themed things so I guess they're my team too/instead of."

In a decade or so another team could emerge similar to the Patriots and all of a sudden they'll become the new team to hate on. I prefer to keep my distaste for players such as Burfict or Suh. I know someone will bring up Gronk and yeah in that moment he was no better, but for people who can think without emotions attached know he's not on that level of scum.

I don't know anything about fantasy football so I can't comment much on that.

I don't play any fantasy football, but for me, my college loyalty to Tennessee runs high. My family hails from Tennessee, and we are just born into it. I think a lot of SEC fans are like this. 

But for the NFL, I've always been more of a fan of players, and my loyalties have swapped because of it. When I was a kid, I liked Joe Montana, so I liked the 49ers. I liked Steve Young, too, but I didn't like anyone afterward (did anyone like Steve Bono? Jeff Garcia?). Peyton Manning was of course a Tennessee hero, so when he joined the league, I became an Indy Colts fan. If Heath Shuler had panned out, I might have been a Redskin fan. 

Gronk is an asshole. Suh is on a different (lower) level entirely. 

• Like 1

I think Roger Goodell is more concerned about Vince McMahon and the XFL than the catch rule. They are a real threat to NFL profits and profitability. The NFL cannot afford to be branded as the stodgy corporate anti-flag No Fun League. McMahon is the premier purveyor of hucksterism.....and Goodell is nothing more than a corporate stooge.

I can think of three cities that would love to have an XFL team.......St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego.  You can add New Jersey, San Antonio, Vegas and Birmingham. A team in Mexico City makes complete sense.

Two divisions, four teams each. Play each team within division twice, outside division once. No exhibition games. 10 game season. 4 team playoff (two weekends). Season begins right after Super Bowl and ends right before baseball season. Perfect.

Get players straight out of high school and pay them. Financial incentives should make the XFL a desirable option for many college and high school players who need a paycheck rather than a college education or a third, fourth or fifth year of college. Coach these players up. Even better, get a head coach who has local appeal and can promote the game.

The league needs to be nationally televised and promoted. ESPN would be a great fit. ESPN needs the content and the NFL has been screwing them over, charging them a premier rate for MNF when it is no longer the premier game of the week.

McMahon says that this version of XFL will not have the "gimmicks" of the past one. No doubt. But I'm looking forward to seeing McMahon's version of cheerleaders, half-time shows and pre-game interviews. Not to mention the cross-promotion with wrestling.

Whatever the circumstances, it is competition that drives performance.......look for the XFL to drive the NFL to better performance.

• Like 1

That didn't take long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/report-chiefs-reach-agreement-to-trade-alex-smith-to-washington/

The Chiefs reached an agreement to trade Alex Smith to Washington, Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star reports. There is no word on the compensation the Chiefs will receive.

4 hours ago, Jigglypuff said:

So the Mahomes era has started. I doubt Cousins will have trouble finding work.

Be very interesting to see where Cousins goes, I imagine Denver would be a high choice seeing as they still have a top Defense and be very interesting to see what they pay him 

The New York Jets might be Cousins' best choice. Cousins flourished under the offenses of  Shanahan and McVay. New OC for the Jets is Jeremy Bates, who comes from that coaching tree.

The Jets have a great young defense, and lots of cap space. Cousins and Bates together could instantly provide the kind of dynamic offense the Jets need to compete and make the playoffs next season.