cmgravekeeper

National Football League Thread

2,573 posts in this topic

My comment about Jeff Fisher's availability was meant to be sarcasm.....to point out the dearth of possibilities Indy has for head coach. I believe McDaniels was their best choice for HC. The trend in the NFL is to hire young, offensive coaches with a dynamic scheme (see Pederson, Shanahan and McVay). This is a quarterback driven league, and these coaches make bad QB's better and good ones great.

 

Defensive minded Head Coaches are finding it tougher to compete. John Fox, Jeff Fisher, Chuck Pagano, Jack Del Rio and Jim Caldwell are all solid as a defensive coordinators. They are out of a job because as Head Coach none of them could produce a dynamic offense. The New York Giants hired offensive minded Pat Shurmur rather than promoting DC Jim Schwartz.

 

Look what happened to the Atlanta Falcons after losing OC Shanahan. They had basically the same players but their offense went from dynamic to pedestrian........from excellent to average.

 

Watch what happens in Carolina next year with Norv Turner adding his considerable talents to the Panthers. QBs under Turner always flourish, and I expect Cam Newton to have a MVP type year next year.

 

Anyway, I hear Eric Mangini is still available.

7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

 

The NFC as a whole is pretty insane right now.  The Saints (with the exception of Brees) are a young team, the Falcons still have that  offense, Green Bay still  has Rodgers, the Vikings look like a force to be reckoned with, the Rams are going to be one year more experienced... then you have the will they/won't they teams like the Cowboys, Panthers, and Seahawks.  All that and I never even mentioned the defending SB champion Eagles.  

 

Not to mention the hottest team at the end of the year......the only team to finish 5-0.......the last three wins over playoff teams....

 

of course I'm talkin' about the San Francisco 49ers!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Anyway, I hear Eric Mangini is still available.

 

It's funny that you mention Mangini (again, in sarcasm I hope). McDaniels and Mangini are two sides of the same coin (which, I believe, is a penny that's been stuck in a dog turd for the last few hours).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

 

It's funny that you mention Mangini (again, in sarcasm I hope). McDaniels and Mangini are two sides of the same coin (which, I believe, is a penny that's been stuck in a dog turd for the last few hours).

 

Yes that's Sarcasm with a capital S.

 

I know that McDaniels was an abysmal failure his first time as head coach. He made numerous poor personnel choices. He called his own offensive plays which is OK if you aren't also the head coach. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes.  Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are two examples of coaches that failed their first chance a HC only to build a perennial contender for the Super Bowl their second time around.

 

Seriously, I believe the best candidate for Indy now is Philadelphia OC Frank Reich.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

 

Yes that's Sarcasm with a capital S.

 

I know that McDaniels was an abysmal failure his first time as head coach. He made numerous poor personnel choices. He called his own offensive plays which is OK if you aren't also the head coach. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes.  Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick are two examples of coaches that failed their first chance a HC only to build a perennial contender for the Super Bowl their second time around.

 

Seriously, I believe the best candidate for Indy now is Philadelphia OC Frank Reich.

 

 

 

It's not only that, though. McDaniels never seemed to learn from these mistakes. He reminds me in a lot of ways of Lane Kiffin. Kiffin is a great QB coach, a good OC, and an awful head coach. He just peaks at the coordinator position. I feel like McDaniels is the same way.

 

Certainly, Carroll and Belichick didn't pan out at first either. Another one that could be added is Nick Saban (not a perfect analogy, but work with me). I think if you built a time machine and sent Saban back to the Dolphins, he would understand that Culpepper was a bad choice over Brees (I know that recently, he said that Brees was offered a contract, but I feel like if the Dolphins had wanted Brees, they would have taken him).

 

With McDaniels? I feel like he might still tell you that Tebow was a viable 1st round pick in Denver.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VEGAS ODDS TO WIN SUPER BOWL LIII

New England Patriots +350

Green Bay Packers +800

Philadelphia Eagles +850

Pittsburgh Steelers +1000

Minnesota Vikings +1200

Los Angeles Rams +1750

San Francisco 49ers +1800

Houston Texans +1850

New Orleans Saints +1850

Jacksonville Jaguars +2000

Atlanta Falcons +2000

Dallas Cowboys +2000

Oakland Raiders +2100

Carolina Panthers +2500

Seattle Seahawks +2500

Kansas City Chiefs +3000

Los Angeles Chargers +3000

Denver Broncos +3500

Indianapolis Colts +4000

Tampa Bay Buccaneers +4000

Baltimore Ravens +5000

Arizona Cardinals +5000

Tennessee Titans +5000

Detroit Lions +5000

Miami Dolphins +7000

Washington Redskins +7000

New York Giants +5500

New York Jets +10000

Chicago Bears +10000

Cincinnati Bengals +10000

Buffalo Bills +10000

Cleveland Browns +10000

 

NFC teams in Red.

 

Note that 10 of the top 15 are in the NFC.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Not to mention the hottest team at the end of the year......the only team to finish 5-0.......the last three wins over playoff teams....

 

of course I'm talkin' about the San Francisco 49ers!

 

ARGH!!!  I don't know if you're baiting me with sarcasm or not 😈

 

Oh well, I'll bite.  I'm still not 100% convinced the 49ers are going to be contenders as early as next year.  I still wanna see how Jimmy G does when he's given coordinators time to study and scheme against him.  There's an old saying that I've heard used many many times.  Let a backup start you 3 games and he'll get you 3 wins, let him start 6 and he'll get you 3 wins.  While I don't think Garopollo is a backup level guy (he's better) I also don't think there's anyway to know if he's the next big thing until he gets a number of starts at least in the double digits.  Personally, I think they'll still need one more off-season after this before they'll be back to being a legit threat, but I've been wrong before.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

 

ARGH!!!  I don't know if you're baiting me with sarcasm or not 1f608.png

 

Oh well, I'll bite.  I'm still not 100% convinced the 49ers are going to be contenders as early as next year.  I still wanna see how Jimmy G does when he's given coordinators time to study and scheme against him.  There's an old saying that I've heard used many many times.  Let a backup start you 3 games and he'll get you 3 wins, let him start 6 and he'll get you 3 wins.  While I don't think Garopollo is a backup level guy (he's better) I also don't think there's anyway to know if he's the next big thing until he gets a number of starts at least in the double digits.  Personally, I think they'll still need one more off-season after this before they'll be back to being a legit threat, but I've been wrong before.

 

Sorry....not being sarcastic...Vegas ranks them #7 as the odds on favorite to win Super Bowl LIII (see post above).  I admit to being a bit over-exuberant about it. BTW Vegas has Houston as the number 3 team out of the AFC (they apparently think highly of Deshaun Watson). Also, interestingly enough, Vegas has Green Bay as the NFC favorite over Philly. Personally, I think Green Bay is crap without Rogers, and we all got to see how complete a team Philly is when they win it all with Foles.

 

I can appreciate your skepticism; the Niners are still need improvement in several areas (like offensive interior line and defensive backfield). And no doubt teams (especially from the NFC West) are already developing schemes against that Jimmy G. and Shanny's offense.

 

The reality is that the NFC is stocked with as many as 10 teams in contention for the NFC title. There will be some very good teams from the NFC that will miss the playoffs and some not so good teams from the AFC that will make the playoffs.

 

I really admire your QB, Russell Wilson. I think he is the NFL's MVP because he is such a play maker. As long as Seattle has Wilson, they will be a playoff or Super Bowl contender. Solari, Norton and Shottenheimer are all good hires, don't you think? (I'm not being sarcastic). Now just find a capable field goal kicker and Seattle will be right back in it.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I really admire your QB, Russell Wilson. I think he is the NFL's MVP because he is such a play maker. As long as Seattle has Wilson, they will be a playoff or Super Bowl contender. Solari, Norton and Shottenheimer are all good hires, don't you think? (I'm not being sarcastic). Now just find a capable field goal kicker and Seattle will be right back in it.

 

 

I don't love the Schottenheimer hire at all.  I was really hoping Seattle would think about building around Wilson and his ability and he's (from what I've heard and read) the polar opposite.  He just wants to run-run-run while keeping the QB in the pocket as much as possible.  Seattle's offense was the worst running offense in football last year, and Wilson lead the team in rushing... pathetic.  Every play broke down as soon as it started and the only success they had was when Wilson played backyard football.  Instead of embracing his talents it looks like they're going to try and put the reigns back on and go backwards. 

 

The DC hire is irrelevant, it's Pete's defense.

 

Speaking of Wilson, a few media members out there made all of Seattle fans' heart skip a beat when they reported he had been TRADED!!... from the Rangers to the Yankees, lol.  Bastards.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

My comment about Jeff Fisher's availability was meant to be sarcasm.....to point out the dearth of possibilities Indy has for head coach. I believe McDaniels was their best choice for HC. The trend in the NFL is to hire young, offensive coaches with a dynamic scheme (see Pederson, Shanahan and McVay). This is a quarterback driven league, and these coaches make bad QB's better and good ones great.

 

Defensive minded Head Coaches are finding it tougher to compete. John Fox, Jeff Fisher, Chuck Pagano, Jack Del Rio and Jim Caldwell are all solid as a defensive coordinators. They are out of a job because as Head Coach none of them could produce a dynamic offense. The New York Giants hired offensive minded Pat Shurmur rather than promoting DC Jim Schwartz.

 

Look what happened to the Atlanta Falcons after losing OC Shanahan. They had basically the same players but their offense went from dynamic to pedestrian........from excellent to average.

 

Watch what happens in Carolina next year with Norv Turner adding his considerable talents to the Panthers. QBs under Turner always flourish, and I expect Cam Newton to have a MVP type year next year.

 

Anyway, I hear Eric Mangini is still available.

 

Not to mention the hottest team at the end of the year......the only team to finish 5-0.......the last three wins over playoff teams....

 

of course I'm talkin' about the San Francisco 49ers!

 

I'm not lobbying for Jeff Fisher to be hired by anybody, but he should get partial credit for building that Rams team. If he knew he was on the hot seat, he probably would've pressed Goff into the starting slot a lot quicker.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

 

I'm not lobbying for Jeff Fisher to be hired by anybody, but he should get partial credit for building that Rams team. If he knew he was on the hot seat, he probably would've pressed Goff into the starting slot a lot quicker.  

 

I don't think it would have made any difference. Many viewed Goff as a complete bust under Fisher.........with each game he got worse, not better. It's not a coincidence that both Goff and Case Keenum showed marked improvement under new head coaches. Offensively, the Rams went from worst to first with Fisher leaving and McVay running the show. I know that Fisher wants to be a head coach again, but really his area of competence is limited to defensive coordinator.

 

30 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

 

I don't love the Schottenheimer hire at all.  I was really hoping Seattle would think about building around Wilson and his ability and he's (from what I've heard and read) the polar opposite.  He just wants to run-run-run while keeping the QB in the pocket as much as possible.  Seattle's offense was the worst running offense in football last year, and Wilson lead the team in rushing... pathetic.  Every play broke down as soon as it started and the only success they had was when Wilson played backyard football.  Instead of embracing his talents it looks like they're going to try and put the reigns back on and go backwards. 

 

The DC hire is irrelevant, it's Pete's defense.

 

Speaking of Wilson, a few media members out there made all of Seattle fans' heart skip a beat when they reported he had been TRADED!!... from the Rangers to the Yankees, lol.  Bastards.

 

 

Agreed. Seattle needs an athletic, fast offensive line that can hold blocks for extended periods of time to allow Wilson to make plays. In the Niners Bill Walsh hey-days, they always had a smaller o-line that would beat the d-line to the point of attack. (Thus being accused of being a "finesse" team). Solis is a competent and experienced o-line coach...perhaps he can put something together. Pounding the ball up the middle while turning Wilson into a pocket passer simply won't work.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

VEGAS ODDS TO WIN SUPER BOWL LIII

New England Patriots +350

Green Bay Packers +800

Philadelphia Eagles +850

Pittsburgh Steelers +1000

Minnesota Vikings +1200

 

*rolls eyes*

 

Has any team over the past five years been as overrated as GB? They're treated like the NFC version of the Patriots, but they've massively underachieved. Maybe they improve under the new coaching staff, but they're a one-dimensional team that keeps getting exposed in the playoffs, time and time again. Personally, I'd put my money on the Eagles, who suffered season-ending injuries at key positions (e.g. QB, LT) and barely flinched. The Packers lose Rodgers and they get shutout at home.

 

If I was ranking the NFC right now, I'd go: Eagles, Saints, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons for top five. The Rams are trending upwards, but I'm not sure they can hang with those teams just yet. And I'm with @skidmarkgn on the 49ers, for now. Love what they're doing with Jimmy G, but let's wait a full season before we crown him a franchise quarterback.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

 

*rolls eyes*

 

Has any team over the past five years been as overrated as GB? They're treated like the NFC version of the Patriots, but they've massively underachieved. Maybe they improve under the new coaching staff, but they're a one-dimensional team that keeps getting exposed in the playoffs, time and time again. Personally, I'd put my money on the Eagles, who suffered season-ending injuries at key positions (e.g. QB, LT) and barely flinched. The Packers lose Rodgers and they get shutout at home.

 

If I was ranking the NFC right now, I'd go: Eagles, Saints, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons for top five. The Rams are trending upwards, but I'm not sure they can hang with those teams just yet. And I'm with @skidmarkgn on the 49ers, for now. Love what they're doing with Jimmy G, but let's wait a full season before we crown him a franchise quarterback.

 

Comment about Packers and Eagles is spot on.

My top five NFC teams are, in order:

Eagles

Saints

Vikings

Panthers

Seahawks

 

Falcons and Packers trending down, Rams and Niners trending up........and the Dallas Dramaqueens are still the Dallas Dramaqueens.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't take the Las Vegas odds as anything other than an indication of how people are betting.  It's in Vegas' interests to shift money lines in a way that minimizes the chances they'll get hammered by a particular outcome.  If Green Bay or San Francisco or Houston or whomever has really "low" odds right now, that's merely a way of saying that a lot of people are betting on them right now.  It doesn't mean that any of those teams are actually going to be any good, just that those people who put their money where their mouth is believe as much.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright 9ers fans, celebrating or panicking? 

 

Personally, I'd be way-way-way concerned about giving that much money to a (mostly) unproven QB.  I know PsychicVibe was recently mentioning their finish, specifically pointing out the 3 wins against playoff teams but, the Titans are a "playoff team" at best and the Rams rested their best players.  The Jags was the one and win I'd call a quality win in that 5-0 stretch.  9ers are taking a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gamble giving him that contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are celebrating!

 

Risk is involved in any deal; the Niners IMHO would be taking a bigger gamble by passing on him. They have plenty of cap space.

 

While the deal is currently the largest per year contract in the NFL, Kirk Cousins will likely get paid more, and over the course of Jimmy G's contract, the deal will be about middle of the road for a franchise quarterback. I watched all five of his starts. He makes good decisions quickly.....has the arm strength, accuracy and quick release of a top tier QB.........has real good pocket awareness....great downfield vision.

 

I think that signing Cousins is a bigger risk.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Eagles got a little weaker and the Vikings got a little better by hiring DeFilippo as the new OC. Wonder if he'll have any say regarding the QB situation. One would think it's a two-way contest between Case and Teddy, but I wouldn't put it past them to make a push for Cousins. Personally, unless they're completely sold on Bridgewater, I'd tag Keenum. The turnaround in the NFL is too great. They had a formula in this season that worked, with a killer defense and Case at the helm. Even though I'm MUCH higher on Teddy than his many critics out there, I don't think the Vikings can afford to break in a young QB who has been out of the game for two years. Especially not with their schedule or the overall strength of the NFC going into next season.

 

I think Teddy is better suited for a team that can make a playoff push in the next 2-3 years. Maybe one of the non-Brady AFC East teams or the Giants/Chargers to replace their outgoing QBs. Bradford could make a really solid backup somewhere, but I'm not sure he can last a full 16 games. As crazy as this sounds, I think the Browns would be wise to invest in a veteran QB instead of looking for one in the draft. If they could sign Bradford for cheap, he might be worth it, but you HAVE to protect that guy. And that's one thing the Browns seem incapable of doing with their QBs...

 

I'm not sure Bradford gets the start anywhere else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Sorry....not being sarcastic...Vegas ranks them #7 as the odds on favorite to win Super Bowl LIII (see post above). 

 

To be fair, Vegas doesn't rank people. They set odds, based on how they think money will roll in for bets. My guess is that they think a lot of 49er faithful are very exuberant, so they can't give any longer odds than what they have.

 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, Cassylvania said:

*rolls eyes*

 

Has any team over the past five years been as overrated as GB?

 

Goes to my point above. Green Bay has the most fanboy fanbase in the world (and I truly believe that, BTW). Ask a GB fan in any year who is going to win the SB, and they'll claim it. Vegas is just setting odds based on this fanboy delusion.

Edited by starcrunch061
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 5:24 PM, PsychicVibe said:

We are celebrating!

 

Risk is involved in any deal; the Niners IMHO would be taking a bigger gamble by passing on him. They have plenty of cap space.

 

While the deal is currently the largest per year contract in the NFL, Kirk Cousins will likely get paid more, and over the course of Jimmy G's contract, the deal will be about middle of the road for a franchise quarterback. I watched all five of his starts. He makes good decisions quickly.....has the arm strength, accuracy and quick release of a top tier QB.........has real good pocket awareness....great downfield vision.

 

I think that signing Cousins is a bigger risk.

 

 

Now that the details  of the deal are out it seems much less risky.  Two years and the 9ers can get out if he's a bust.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles Offensieve Co-ordinator Frank Reich is reportedly taking the Indianapolis colts head coach job http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22401946/frank-reich-agrees-five-year-deal-indianapolis-colts-coach

 

Be interesting to see if he can do  with Andrew Luck whenever he returns, on the other hand be interesting to see how much this affects the Eagles

 

p.s Hopefully he doesn't back out :P 

Edited by Jare
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested to see what Andrew Luck does with Luck.  I'd seriously be looking for a long term QB at this point.  I see darkness in Indy for a few years yet...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jare said:

Raiders have informed long time kicker Sebastian Janikowski that he will not be retained by them http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22442918/oakland-raiders-say-sebastian-janikowski-return-2018-season 

 

I wonder if anyone will sign him or is this it?

 

I would think lots of teams would want him..........Seattle sure could.

 

Janikowski remained reliable until he got injured.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.