National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 7/30/2018 at 5:27 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I remember that play on Cooks and screaming for a flag. He fell like a rag doll and was out for the game. I honestly am just now starting to focus back on football, so i haven't had a chance to read up on the rule changes, but if they are saying that hits like that are now illegal then I totally agree. I don't know why they were not.

5 hours ago, Bos10George said:

I remember that play on Cooks and screaming for a flag. He fell like a rag doll and was out for the game. I honestly am just now starting to focus back on football, so i haven't had a chance to read up on the rule changes, but if they are saying that hits like that are now illegal then I totally agree. I don't know why they were not.

A lot of people bitched that it was just a "dirty shoulder hit" but it's easy as fuck to conceal the motion for going in with your shoulder and then using your head. Saw it all the time in high school. I'm pretty sure helmet to helmet hits are illegal, and obviously should be because it's a retarded thing to do anyways as a tackler, but this new rule seems like that if your head lowers in any capacity and touches someone during a tackle you can be flagged.

I'm going to be interested in how the refs handle waist tackles where a helmet obviously has to be lowered with your body and a player takes it in the gut lol.

Players have been whining for flags since the League first introduced officials and penalties and flags for penalties.  The only thing that changes is the specifics of what they whine about, but the gist remains the same.

Just once, I'd like to see a referee throw a penalty flag when the player bitches for one.... flagging that bitchy player for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.  It's never going to happen, but a guy can dream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acasser said:

Players have been whining for flags since the League first introduced officials and penalties and flags for penalties.  The only thing that changes is the specifics of what they whine about, but the gist remains the same.

Just once, I'd like to see a referee throw a penalty flag when the player bitches for one.... flagging that bitchy player for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.  It's never going to happen, but a guy can dream.

I know it happens but what I don't like is giving them a new excuse to whine for one.

52 minutes ago, majob said:

The new helmet rule is already going to be a headache, I can tell. All of the star players whining for flags when they get tackled. I can just see it now.

just wait till they throw one on a qb sneak, this rule is just dumb and a mess and shouldn't be there

I'm sure some of you have noticed I've got a shitty memory so refresh it for me...

Have any of the preseasons in the past few years had so many injuries? I swear every game I've watched has had an injury and I read that the Vikings lost 6 players over them so far.

Seems like these new rules are working out really well. :awesome: 

Seahawks have me optimistic and worried at the same time.  The drove the ball down the field with ease, only to have the TD taken away from a stupid call (I seriously almost vomited when I saw another f--king Hochuli on the field officiating), then the defense couldn't stop the Chargers at all, followed by another great drive only to fumble on the goal line... didn't watch much after that.

The focus on having an effective running game seems to be yielding positive results, however, the penalties and inability to punch the ball into the endzone is looking like it might still be an issue.  Maybe not as bad as last year, depending on how many snaps Ifedi's useless ass gets, but still an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacksonville Jaguars wr Marquis Lee is out for season

Philadelphia Eagles T.E Brent Celek announced his retirement http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24533034/philadelphia-eagles-te-brent-celek-announces-retirement-11-seasons

Aaron Donald got his big pay day http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24534350/aaron-donald-stays-los-angeles-rams-six-year-extension-worth-135-million

Veteran NFL punter Shane Lechler has been cut by Houston Texans http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24534268/shane-lechler-cut-houston-texans

Also a week or so back The Washington Redskins signed Adrian Peterson, they were in need after there rookie rb Darius Guice tore his acl

P.s want anymore season starts this Thursday :D 

The (as-of-yet unconfirmed) reports I'm seeing indicate that Chicago gave up at least two 1st-round picks for Khalil Mack.  I'd have liked to see the Jets land Mack, because their defense needs what he can do in the worst way, but not at that price tag PLUS the contract extension such a trade would require.  The Jets aren't good enough right now for that sort of deal to make sense.

Good for Khalil Mack that he's going to get PAID, but I have my doubts that Chicago is really going to benefit by this deal.  Minnesota is a pretty good team and Green Bay will be competitive so long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and effective, so I'm not quite sure what Chicago's ceiling is.

4 hours ago, acasser said:

The (as-of-yet unconfirmed) reports I'm seeing indicate that Chicago gave up at least two 1st-round picks for Khalil Mack.  I'd have liked to see the Jets land Mack, because their defense needs what he can do in the worst way, but not at that price tag PLUS the contract extension such a trade would require.  The Jets aren't good enough right now for that sort of deal to make sense.

Good for Khalil Mack that he's going to get PAID, but I have my doubts that Chicago is really going to benefit by this deal.  Minnesota is a pretty good team and Green Bay will be competitive so long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and effective, so I'm not quite sure what Chicago's ceiling is.

6 year $141M deal!!! 

Bears got: Mack, 2020 2nd round pick and a conditional 2020 5th round pick

Oakland got: 2019 1st round pick, 2020 1st round pick, 2020 3rd round pick and 2019 6th round pick. Damn that’s a lot!

Mack has opened the flood gates. Expect to see other defensive stars demanding big contracts now. Bears were pretty stupid with this to be honest, their defense still isn't the greatest and Mack on the Raiders still couldn't stop everything. Of course, I'm a bit biased as a Lions fan

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, majob said:

Mack has opened the flood gates. Expect to see other defensive stars demanding big contracts now. Bears were pretty stupid with this to be honest, their defense still isn't the greatest and Mack on the Raiders still couldn't stop everything. Of course, I'm a bit biased as a Lions fan

majob: I believe da Bears remain least of your worries.

The Bears are hoping that Mack instantly makes their defense far more formidable than it was, and makes them an instant contender. I have my doubts about that. The Raiders defense stunk with him last year.

Meanwhile, the cash strapped Raiders save $13.5 million in salary and get enough quality picks to be a contender by the time they move to Vegas.

An absolute steal for the Raiders!

Edited by PsychicVibe
"million" inserted
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

majob: I believe da Bears remain least of your worries.

The Bears are hoping that Mack instantly makes their defense far more formidable than it was, and makes them an instant contender. I have my doubts about that. The Raiders defense stunk with him last year.

Meanwhile, the cash strapped Raiders save $13.5 million in salary and get enough quality picks to be a contender by the time they move to Vegas.

An absolute steal for the Raiders!

And you're right because it's always the Packers division to lose after all but watching the rest of North make improvements all around while the Lions flop like a fish out of water is depressing. And the Bears are really focusing on the wrong side of the ball, all of that money for one player while their shiny new QB Trubiscky still has no one to throw to or any decent protection

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

Mack has opened the flood gates. Expect to see other defensive stars demanding big contracts now.

This may come as a shock to you, but other defensive stars have been demanding big contracts for a very long time.  The same with offensive stars, and quarterbacks.  You're only screwed in the attempt to land a mega-deal if you're an offensive lineman or a kicker; nobody really cares about them.

I mean, just from a Jets perspective?  Darrelle Revis was a walking holdout machine during his first run with the team, and that's why John Idzik finally cut the cord and traded him to Tampa.

4 minutes ago, acasser said:

This may come as a shock to you, but other defensive stars have been demanding big contracts for a very long time.  The same with offensive stars, and quarterbacks.  You're only screwed in the attempt to land a mega-deal if you're an offensive lineman or a kicker; nobody really cares about them.

I mean, just from a Jets perspective?  Darrelle Revis was a walking holdout machine during his first run with the team, and that's why John Idzik finally cut the cord and traded him to Tampa.

My post came out wrong I guess because the circumstances are different. Mack is getting 90 mil guaranteed, that's unheard of for a defensive player and money in that range was usually for QBs

I was really, really hoping Mack would go to the Browns. I don't want him in the NFC North. But damn, the Bears went all in on this. With the upgrades in GB and Minny, who were already SB contenders, was it really worth it?

*considers Rodgers having to face Mack twice a year...*

Yes. Yes, it was.

Well it’s that time of year I post my weekly tips ;)  Feel free to post yours aswell if you want 

My NFL Season 2018-19 tips week 1

Falcons over Eagles 

Ravens over Bills

Colts over Bengals

Steelers over Browns

Titans over Dolphins 

Vikings over 49ers

Patriots over Texans

Saints over Bucs

Jags over Giants 

Chargers over Chiefs

Panthers over Cowboys 

Broncos over Seahawks 

Cardinals over Redskins

Packers over Bears

Lions over Jets

Rams over Raiders

don’t forget you can still join this 

Edited by Conker

Seattle rejects Dallas' second round pick offer for Earl Thomas, who is in the last year of his contract. Seattle must think they are still a contender for the playoffs. As long as they have Wilson, they have a chance...........

Thomas will not resign with Seattle. He took lower pay in order to keep the Legion of Boom together, and now wants to get paid. Feels Seattle got cheap on him.

Don't be surprised if Thomas goes down with a mysterious injury.............and the Niners end up signing him for the 2019-2020 season.