National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

5 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

While Jimmy G is not the new King of Football, he certainly showed his promise with his mobility, quick release and accurate arm. Niners continue with their red zone woes.

Yeah, the TD was a thing of beauty. And that was probably the hardest test that could've been put in front of him to start the season. I think the 49ers can compete for the divisional win.

9 minutes ago, majob said:

His replacement played well but you'll have people whispering that this probably wouldn't have happened if they had Bell. Not to downplay the Browns efforts, they played hard, almost desperately, so that helped but Tyrod got greedy with the last pass before OT, should have just gone for the short throw and made the try.

Jimmy G's hype was bound to deflate eventually but Cousins looked sloppy there. Of course, I'm hoping you guys lose, nothing personal bruh, it's just the division. Barr can feel free to knock Rodgers out for the season again though

Nah, we need Rodgers to stay upright so Packers fans can stop using that as an excuse for losing games. (They seem to think that Rodgers = the whole team, and I'm not sure they're wrong.)

Lions fan or Bears?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Splathew said:

I think the Chiefs finally have a franchise QB. They have had some solid to good QB's over the years but never had a QB they drafted become the guy.

Many successful Kansas City QBs have been former 49ers..... (Montana, DeBerg, Bono, Grbac, Smith). Only SB champ Len Dawson has a playoff win outside of that group. KC is loaded with talent..........but have had, over the years, a reputation for fading in the stretch. Perhaps this year will be different?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, the TD was a thing of beauty. And that was probably the hardest test that could've been put in front of him to start the season. I think the 49ers can compete for the divisional win.

Nah, we need Rodgers to stay upright so Packers fans can stop using that as an excuse for losing games. (They seem to think that Rodgers = the whole team, and I'm not sure they're wrong.)

Lions fan or Bears?

Lions fan, not looking forward to our division games this year and to hell with Packer fans, no Rodgers would be a load off my mind

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, majob said:

Have got to add that Bell must be grinning from ear to ear right now. The Browns probably just helped him get the contract he wanted.

I have the contrarian point of view, that Le'Veon Bell is hurting his market value with his holdout.  He's not going to get more money this year -- he can't get more money this year unless Pittsburgh rescinds the franchise tag at this point and there's no reason for the Steelers to do so.  And there are probably teams and GMs out there that are looking at what the Pittsburgh locker room is going through and don't want the headache on their teams.

He'll still get paid as an Unrestricted Free Agent this coming offseason.  Probably.  But I don't think he's inflating his market value by sitting out, especially considering how Running Backs don't get paid a whole heck of a lot anymore, relatively speaking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

While Jimmy G is not the new King of Football, he certainly showed his promise with his mobility, quick release and accurate arm. Niners continue with their red zone woes.

This was the first time I've seen Jimmy G play a full game and he looks like a legit QB and I can see why the Niners went after him. I'd say this game he had channeled Clint Eastwood with Good, Bad, and Ugly. He threw some damn good balls and used his secondary options quite well. Bad was the drops by a few and a couple overthrows, esp to Kittle deep as well as in the end zone. Ugly was the Hughes pick six and Smith INT in the final drive. The Rhodes pick can be excused as a hell of a play by X.

I think 49ers are legit though, they impressed me today. Bummer they lost McKinnon. :(

- In the battle of ex-Seahawks, I'd say it was a push between Richardson and Sherman. Richardson would've won, until he got the dumb roughing QB penalty on third and long. 

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, majob said:

Looks like I stand corrected on the Bears decision with mack, guy is a gamechanger. Potentially knocked Rodgers out and literally stole the ball from Kaiser

Raiders will be regretting it now, just on his dominant 1st half, 

4 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I can't fucking believe the Packers vs Bears.

Holy shit.

Rodgers on 1 leg just amazing, utterly a amazing effort from him, but man the dropped interception by Fuller which probably wins it for Chicago was just massive 

Edited by Conker
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Conker said:

Rodgers on 1 leg just amazing, utterly a amazing effort from him, but man the dropped interception by Fuller which probably wins it for Chicago was just massive 

For sure. Bet that guy drinks himself to sleep tonight.

1 minute ago, PsychicVibe said:

Yeah. HOLY HOT SHIT! The Pack found a way to win at home again. What a comeback! Even a one-legged Rodgers, when at home, is a tough guy to beat.

Definitely one of the best season opening games I think I've seen. (I say I think because my memory is shitty and by tomorrow I'll likely have forgotten this game lmfao.)

-------------------------------------

All in all though. I have to wonder how much damage Rodgers does to his body that other QBs don't seem to do. :hmm: I have a very limited viewing of the games each week and know next to nothing compared to everyone here, but it seems like Rodgers plays with injuries more than others. :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Yeah. HOLY HOT SHIT! The Pack found a way to win at home again. What a comeback! Even a one-legged Rodgers, when at home, is a tough guy to beat.

Was that a comeback or a complete meltdown, the Bears had chance after chance to put that one away and they shrunk in the moment every time.  

• Like 1

I've been sick all weekend and didn't really get to enjoy a lot of football. The colts lost and had every opportunity to win it, but a few crucial mistakes led to the L. On the bright side, Luck played well, but is still taking too many hits. My fantasy football team also scored 172 points thanks to Michael Thomas and Philip Rivers leading the way.

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Raiders will be regretting it now, just on his dominant 1st half, 

Those sorts of trades seldom work out well for the team acquiring and then paying the elite talent, especially in the salary cap era.  It's simply too hard to build an effective roster as a whole when you've given up that volume of high picks.  Chicago may be able to balance it for a year or two if Mitchell Trubisky can live up to his draft status and quickly, but effective NFL rosters require a constant infusion and re-infusion of good, cheap, young talent, and Chicago is going to have a difficult time doing that without those draft picks.

If Trubisky is good, Chicago will have issues when it's time to pay him the same way Seattle has watched their depth and talent erode once Russell Wilson had to get paid.  If Trubisky isn't good, Chicago will have issues in that area without much of a chance to find a cheap replacement who is any good and could be right back on the Mike Glennon carousel.