National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Raiders will be regretting it now, just on his dominant 1st half, 

Honestly I don't think Gruden will lose too much sleep over the trade unless those two 1st round picks turn out to be duds. The Raiders already had Carr on a big contract and Mack was on his final year anyway and most teams don't like the idea of giving qb money to a defensive position because the longevity isn't there. Gruden supposedly also didn't get along with Mack and consider him a diva not to mention Mack supposedly didn't like playing for the team anyway. It was a good thing for both sides but I'm sure the fans will feel differently

11 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Was that a comeback or a complete meltdown, the Bears had chance after chance to put that one away and they shrunk in the moment every time.  

That was a CHI meltdown. It's 3rd-and-1 with 2 minutes to go. RUN THE BALL!! If you don't make it, you can go for it on fourth down. Most NFL teams are capable of one yard on two tries. Bears make a first down and game is over because clock can't be stopped. 

Instead, they kick a field goal which is little help because it doesn't give you a seven-point lead. Now Rodgers has loads of time to drive the field. Made easier by the Bears' Gong Show-like defensive performance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

That was a CHI meltdown. It's 3rd-and-1 with 2 minutes to go. RUN THE BALL!! If you don't make it, you can go for it on fourth down. Most NFL teams are capable of one yard on two tries. Bears make a first down and game is over because clock can't be stopped. 

Instead, they kick a field goal which is little help because it doesn't give you a seven-point lead. Now Rodgers has loads of time to drive the field. Made easier by the Bears' Gong Show-like defensive performance.

And it wasn't even just one play. This was a mental meltdown. As soon as Rodgers came out onto the field in the second half, I knew he was going to make a comeback. You knew it too. Everybody watching knew it. The problem is the Bears knew it, and they buckled under the pressure. That's not what good teams do.

I know seasons aren't won or lost in Week 1, but this feels like a game that could have dramatically impacted the path these two teams take going forward.

• Like 1

Here's a great stat related to yesterday's games (unless you root for the team in question):

In the last 20 years of the NFL -- or since they expanded to 31 teams -- there have been 187 different occasions on which a team has had a single-game turnover differential of +5 (or better).  Those 187 teams are 182-4-1 in those games.

Obviously, the Cleveland Browns (yesterday) account for the tie.  But did you know that the Browns are also two of the four losses?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, majob said:

Honestly I don't think Gruden will lose too much sleep over the trade unless those two 1st round picks turn out to be duds. The Raiders already had Carr on a big contract and Mack was on his final year anyway and most teams don't like the idea of giving qb money to a defensive position because the longevity isn't there. Gruden supposedly also didn't get along with Mack and consider him a diva not to mention Mack supposedly didn't like playing for the team anyway. It was a good thing for both sides but I'm sure the fans will feel differently

Honestly, I wouldn’t lose sleep if I got $100M coming in my account. And for their franchise’s sake, they better hit home runs with those picks. This upcoming draft is LOADED with pass rushers. 

21 minutes ago, acasser said:

Here's a great stat related to yesterday's games (unless you root for the team in question):

In the last 20 years of the NFL -- or since they expanded to 31 teams -- there have been 187 different occasions on which a team has had a single-game turnover differential of +5 (or better).  Those 187 teams are 182-4-1 in those games.

Obviously, the Cleveland Browns (yesterday) account for the tie.  But did you know that the Browns are also two of the four losses?

Sadly, as a Browns fan, I do know this stat. It still amazes me how they were +5 in the turnover battle and DIDN’T win the damn game! Insane!! 

28 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Perhaps it is time to pull Stafford and save him for a better day.

New Head coaches are now 0-6 for the weekend.

Folks, the Jets are for real. Put your money on them before everyone else figures it out.

I honestly feel like he threw that last interception on purpose just to get it all over with

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

It's a Raiders game so of course it's gonna be a flag-fest.

Rams are the apple of everyone's eye this year with their "buy the Superbowl" mentality, I mean... what was it, 145 yards in penalties in just the 1st freakin' half?!  Against the Rams 2 for 20???  Gotta make sure the big market dream team wins at all costs ?  Or maybe that's just the Raiders, lol.

• Like 1

Well The Jets were great and Sam darnold looks good even if was just game 1 and wow The Lions i don't think thats how matt Patricia thought it would go, just rubbish.

Whilst Rams showed us why many people have them so high this year, the Raiders looked ok at times but maybe just me but they missed Mack's presence imo

Edited by Conker

Didn't have a dog in the fight fan or fantasy wise, but I my bet was on the Raiders. I guess the Rams are for real after all.

I thought the Jets might win but not an absolute blowout. Matty Patty has some splaining to do. As a Pats fan, I am not gonna start sweating until I a few more W's over there.

11 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Folks, the Jets are for real. Put your money on them before everyone else figures it out.

Take it from a lifelong Jets fan and do your wallet a favor:  Save your money and don't wager anything you don't care to lose on this.  The Lions are a hot mess.  Miami isn't very good, and Cleveland is still a dumpster fire.  Don't buy very heavily into the Jets even if they do start 3-0, because the Football Gods are cruel and love tormenting Jets fans (among others) by teasing them before pulling the football back a la Lucy Van Pelt.

They're better than they were last season, but "better" doesn't mean good or "for real".  Maybe next year, when they'll have the cap space to overspend on a bunch of mediocre free agents to make themselves look good for half-a-season, but they're not really there yet.

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Take it from a lifelong Jets fan and do your wallet a favor:  Save your money and don't wager anything you don't care to lose on this.  The Lions are a hot mess.  Miami isn't very good, and Cleveland is still a dumpster fire.  Don't buy very heavily into the Jets even if they do start 3-0, because the Football Gods are cruel and love tormenting Jets fans (among others) by teasing them before pulling the football back a la Lucy Van Pelt.

They're better than they were last season, but "better" doesn't mean good or "for real".  Maybe next year, when they'll have the cap space to overspend on a bunch of mediocre free agents to make themselves look good for half-a-season, but they're not really there yet.

That's the old Jets. The culture of losing Jets. Fans of this team wanted them to tank last year for a high draft pick. The old Jets may have just done this. But what you saw last night was real.

As complete a team victory as any team experienced last weekend.

Teams with losing cultures fold easily when adversity strikes. Yesterday young rookie Darnold throws a pick six right off the bat. Does he grow tentative? Nope......he handled it like a vet.

Not saying they are ready to be AFC champs........but their Charlie Brown days are over and the betting pubic doesn't know it yet.

Bills are still mulling over whether to start Nathan Peterman or Josh Allen. Really?

I can understand why Tyrod Taylor is not with the team anymore, considering how they mishandled him. Frankly, I'd cut Peterman and sign just about any one else because we know what he can do and it is downright ugly.

Why not sign Colin Kaepernick or Johnny Manziel or Jay Cutler or Charlie Brown?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Bills are still mulling over whether to start Nathan Peterman or Josh Allen. Really?

I can understand why Tyrod Taylor is not with the team anymore, considering how they mishandled him. Frankly, I'd cut Peterman and sign just about any one else because we know what he can do and it is downright ugly.

My guess is that Peterman has in his possession, compromising photos of someone in the front office and he's extorting a roster spot out of the Bills.

I've never seen a franchise so heavily invested into a 5th round pick. First-round QB choices have had a shorter leash than him, just ask EJ Manuel! B)

• Like 2

Apparently the Jets defense knew all of the Lions signals which is why they were able to devastate them in such brutal fashion. It seems the Offensive Coordinator didn't bother with coming up with new signals and used the same signals from the last season

Genius...

Edited by majob

2 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

He not only used the same signals but called the same plays......and then never made adjustments throughout the game. And his boss, the rookie head coach, allowed it to happen.

It looks like Detroit is really going to stink it up this year........

I knew things would be bad when they hired Patricia since Bellicheck's coaching tree has a horrendous track record but this really took the cake. Only the Lions could possibly get the worst HC out of that tree

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Kaepernick isn't likely since he's suing the NFL and would rather play SJW. Manziel is in Canada. Cutler just fucking sucks. I think Charlie Brown would be worried someone would pull the football away. xD

9 hours ago, Spyro said:

Kaepernick isn't likely since he's suing the NFL and would rather play SJW. Manziel is in Canada. Cutler just fucking sucks. I think Charlie Brown would be worried someone would pull the football away. xD

Ah, give Cutler a bit more credit, guy was fairly good when he first started, even managed to go to the NFC Championship game, got blown out but still. I think playing for those terrible Bear's teams just killed any love he had for the game.