National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Now that was a beauty of a Thursday night game, 2 explosive offenses. Rams looking amazing, well see what happens now with there next 3 on the road and a great bounceback performance from the Vikings after the Bills game.

If only every thursday game was this good

10 hours ago, Spyro said:

That was a good game.

Vikings are probably wondering why they paid Cousins so much...but they're pretty much stuck with him since he'll get his money no matter what. xD

Unless the Vikings thought Cousins would play strong safety as well as quarterback, I don't think he's failed to perform up to expectations. Considering Viking fans have watched a carousel of QB's in two years (Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum) and the GM had to choose a starting QB option via free agency, I think he chose wisely. Cousins is clearly the best of the bunch and Bradford and Keenum have had mediocre results where they landed. Kirk already has two games throwing over 400 yards and his TD/INT ratio is 10/2.

Only negative in four games with Cousins is fumbles, and they have happened from blind-side hits. Which gets us back to the season-after-season conundrum; when will the GM ever decide to fix the O line??? The 2016 line was the worst I had seen in 35 years worth of football memories, so they signed two free agents from the B/C wish list with Reiff and Remmers. Two guys who were asked to change positions and were not exactly mourned when leaving their original teams. Fast forward to 2018 draft and EVERYONE knows they need to upgrade the line so what do they do? Draft a CB in the first round. :facepalm:

The other big stench in the room is the defense, who wilted in the Second half vs. the Saints and haven't recovered. Cousins doesn't give them cap issues bc most of these guys are signed! Smith has a big deal, along with Barr, Rhodes, Hunter, Griffin, Joseph. Last night they gave up over 500 yards to a team they held to 7 points last year. Statistically, it was one of the worst performances by a Viking defense in 50 years and only a handful of QB's have ever thrown 5 TD's on them. 

This already feels like a season heading off the cliff with an epic fail (losing to Buffalo at home), catastrophe (kicker missing three in GB), off-the-field problems (Griffin's mental health issues) and on-field behavior (looking at you Rhodes!).

Oh man, I feel so much better. Thanks for letting me rant.   ;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

This already feels like a season heading off the cliff with an epic fail (losing to Buffalo at home), catastrophe (kicker missing three in GB), off-the-field problems (Griffin's mental health issues) and on-field behavior (looking at you Rhodes!).

Be thankful your team doesn't play in the NFC South. Vikes will still likely make the playoffs; can't say the same for the Saints and the shark tank they play in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

That was a good game.

Vikings are probably wondering why they paid Cousins so much...but they're pretty much stuck with him since he'll get his money no matter what. xD

To be fair to Cousins, he was the reason the Vikings even managed to give the Rams a run for their money. His only real mistake was the fumble, sucks for him that it was the game changer though.

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Edited by majob

6 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Cousins is definitely a good QB.  The issue with the Vikings has been on the other side of the ball.

Fortunately for the Vikings, 9 wins may be enough to win the NFC North!  A lot of mediocrity in that division this year.

I'm hurt....kidding. Don't count the Packers out though, Rodgers always manages to get in gear in the middle of the season and somehow drag the Packers to the post season

Edited by majob

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Unless the Vikings thought Cousins would play strong safety as well as quarterback, I don't think he's failed to perform up to expectations. Considering Viking fans have watched a carousel of QB's in two years (Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum) and the GM had to choose a starting QB option via free agency, I think he chose wisely. Cousins is clearly the best of the bunch and Bradford and Keenum have had mediocre results where they landed. Kirk already has two games throwing over 400 yards and his TD/INT ratio is 10/2.

I'm going to have to agree. Yes, the fumble at the end sucked, but that was one play. Cousins made several VERY tight throws, put 31 points on the scoreboard, and threw for over 400 yards in a game that was never out of reach. Meanwhile, the defense was giving up chunk play after chunk play all night long, because somebody thought it was a good idea to have LBs covering receivers. This must be what it's like to be a Packers fan.

Anyway, let's not get too carried away. The Rams are an exceptionally good team, and the Vikings might've just been caught with their pants down this week. They have plenty of time to prepare for the Eagles -- a game they SHOULD have been preparing for all off-season -- and the Bears, Packers, and Lions all have issues of their own this season. I think the divisional games might decide it.

Then again, this is the Rams' world. We're all just living in it.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely happy most everyone enjoyed the game Thursday.  I, however, didn't.  I'll admit I'm biased being a Seattle fan but games like that, where teams just drive and score over and over are more boring to me than anything.  Zero defense, terrible tackling, and long ball after long ball given up just isn't for me.  

• Like 1

Like I said, every time things start looking bad for the Pats they can just retreat into their garbage division and take some free wins.  As I'm typing this the Bills, Jets and Dolphins games are all at halftime and they have a combined zero points.  Hopefully the Pats/Dolphins game (which is the only game on TV where I'm at) will get flexed soon because the Dolphins are finally living up to the "worst team in the NFL" label people were handing them in the off season.

So wow Mitchell Trubisky just was amazing, and Khalil mack can just do nothing wrong.

Anyone still wanna question the Pats?? :giggle: Miami got destroyed.

P.s Congrats To Adam Vinateri on becoming the new record holder of most field goals made, definite hof when he finishes, which almost seems like will never happen xD 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JuniorXX1000 said:

Lmao that play calling from Indiana on 4th midfield. And You let Houston get in field goal position.. damn

I know you wanna win but from there with little time left, just punt it away and force the Texans to do something or get a draw.

Cannot wait to see how Coach Frank Reich explains it postgame 

3 minutes ago, Conker said:

I know you wanna win but from there with little time left, just punt it away and force the Texans to do something or get a draw.

Exactly. Some people saying they would rather go for the win than tie but now that puts them another game back in the division.

3 hours ago, JuniorXX1000 said:

Lmao that play calling from Indiana on 4th midfield. And You let Houston get in field goal position.. damn

3 hours ago, Conker said:

I like the playcall.  I want a Head Coach that's going to be aggressive and is going to play to win as opposed to playing "not to lose" or just to keep the margin of defeat down.  As a Jets fan, I've already got "door #2" with Todd Bowles, a guy who seems to have never met a punting situation he didn't want to take advantage of.

Yeah, it backfired.  Yeah, it hurts because it's a divisional game.  But I'm okay with asking my offense to make a play instead of the chickenshit move of a punt and waiting for my defense to blow things.  Because it's quite possible that Indy's defense (or special teams) would have fucked things up, and the only difference between that hypothetical and what actually happened is that Frank Reich could blame-shift to his defense.  Although I'd question why anybody would buy that, given Indy's defense got torched today.

4 hours ago, majob said:

And so the Lions defense commits enough penalties to give Dallas the game and Davis, usually noted for his speed, gets beat by Elliot in a must stop play near the end of the 4th quarter. Every year I expect more of the same but  the losing still sucks

Um, hello?  This is the same Lions defense that gave up something like a bazillion points and yards to the Jets?  That is, a 1-3 team whose offensive playcalling is complete crap -- how about trying to run the football once in a while since the rookie QB isn't good enough to win games on his own right now and the defense gets left out on the field all freaking day?  If the Jets are a lousy team, and they are right now, what does that make the Lions?  (Here's a hint:  a lousy team.)

21 minutes ago, Conker said:

Earl Thomas got injured today in the win over Arizona Cardinals, it didn't look good. He also when leaving on the cart gave the Seattle sideline the middle-finger, seems like a shot at the team for not trading him

What little respect I had left for him is now gone.  Anyone with a brain could see why Seattle was hesitant to work a deal with him.  He's aging, he's coming off a big injury and he wants to be the highest paid player at his position.  Today showed that the team made the right call not extending him and mortgaging the future for a coin flip.  He's looking for a 3rd contract, not a 2nd, a 3rd.  He's made $50,000,000 already, and that's just from his contracts, put in any endorsements on top of that and... I don't know about anyone else, but that's enough to be set for life for me.  He showed his true colors with his attitude towards the team (and over the off-season the fans) and now he's sucking on a whole lot of karma... if you can call having a broken leg while being filthy rich karma.  Kinda sucks, he was the last LoB member that I had any respect for too.  Browner with his PED violations, Kam with his holdout while still having multiple years on his deal, Sherman and his toxic ego, now Earl and his greed.

Edited by skidmarkgn

On August 2, Thomas wrote:

If you’re risking your body to deliver all of this value to an organization, then you deserve some sort of assurance that the organization will take care of you if you get hurt. It’s that simple. This isn’t new, and this isn’t complicated. It’s the reason I’m holding out—I want to be able to give my everything, on every play, without any doubt in my mind.”

Seattle could have gotten a 2nd rounder for him....but didn't want to trade him to Dallas prior to their game against each other. Now Seattle gets nothing for him. And wouldn't it just be marvelous if he ended up signing with SF next year, reuniting with DC Robert Saleh and Richard Sherman. Then Seattle could face him twice a year every year! What fun!

Fortunately for Thomas, he suffered a mild lower left leg fracture without any ligament or muscle damage and he should be able to make a full recovery.

Keep holding out, Le'Veon Bell! Get paid!

• Like 2