National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 crazy things happened today 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers get 503 yards but only score 3 points

Chicago Bears kicker Cody Parkey hit the uprights 4 times, like unbelievable 

@majob does it pain you to see how much success Eric Ebron is having in Indy after most certainly underperforming for the Lions?

1 minute ago, Conker said:

@majob does it pain you to see how much success Eric Ebron is having in Indy after most certainly underperforming for the Lions?

Not really, it's par the course for the team. Van Noy, Cliff Avril, ect. I'm perfectly used to seeing players who did terribly in Detroit go on to another team and find success. It sucks they couldn't find it with the lions of course but It doesn't surprise me.

6 hours ago, Conker said:

Well Todd Bowles might be done after today currently down 31-3 too the Matt Barkley led bills at halftime.I wonder if the Jet players have given up?

I wish the Jets were playing a road game today so that somebody could push Todd Bowles off the post-game flight, preferably at 30,000 feet.  But that's just me.

As for his getting fired?  I think it'll be after the season unless the backup owner wants to fire him this week.  Because the General Manager doesn't have the power to fire Bowles with the way the Jets' hierarchy is at present.

The players haven't given up.  They just have a passive, lackluster coach and very little talent.

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I had the Jets D in my fantasy.... Guess they didn't feel like showing up today again the worst, erm, I mean, second worst offense? Good thing my opponent is 2-7 and team is garbage. Mccaffery and Michael Thomas saving my ass again.

You should know better than to pick a bad team's defense with the hopes that they'll stymie a worse offense.  I understand the thought behind doing so, but to me it was always a case of taking a huge risk by doing that.  Especially when you consider that the Jets are very "feast or famine" with generating turnovers and sacks and haven't done much of either in a month now.

9 minutes ago, acasser said:

You should know better than to pick a bad team's defense with the hopes that they'll stymie a worse offense.  I understand the thought behind doing so, but to me it was always a case of taking a huge risk by doing that.  Especially when you consider that the Jets are very "feast or famine" with generating turnovers and sacks and haven't done much of either in a month now.

Lol. My brother told me the same thing. I had no faith in Barkley and thought he'd be a turnover machine against an average defense... Obviously I was wrong. Barkley wasn't a turnover machine and the Jets aren't an average defense.

Sad part is that I had the Chicago kicker too who scored me a whopping 0 points. Even worse, I literally could have just left my people from my bye week (Texans D and their kicker) and earned more points than the NYJ D and the Chicago kicker (zero versus the -7 the Jets gave me).

I'll still win this week because I have Mccaffery, Aaron Jones, and Michael Thomas, but damn, could I have whiffed any worse on those 2 positions?

1 hour ago, majob said:

Not really, it's par the course for the team. Van Noy, Cliff Avril, ect. I'm perfectly used to seeing players who did terribly in Detroit go on to another team and find success. It sucks they couldn't find it with the lions of course but It doesn't surprise me.

Exactly how it feels to be a Mariners fan my friend, only difference is the M's have missed the playoffs for 17 consecutive years now.

Anyways, back on topic - the Seahawks are killin' me this year.  Every game it seems like the win is being dangled right in there face and then being snatched away right at the last second.  The 0-2 start wasn't quite that way (although the Broncos game left a bad taste in my mouth after Denver was given that TD) but since then both Rams games and the Chargers game were all three games they could have taken, to be 0-3 in them just hurts.  That last playoff spot is getting further and further away, thinking they'll have to go 6-1 from here on out to have a shot at it and I don't know if they'll be able to pull that off with the Chiefs, Vikings, Panthers and Packers being left (yes, I'm doing the stupid thing and assuming the 2 49ers games and last game against Arizona will be wins).  Guess it's time to hope the home heavy rest of the schedule will become a factor..

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

Is there a team more disappointing than the Eagles?  Jags may get honorable mention.

if so one offered to pay me $100 to watch the Giants-Niners on MNF, I would be offended by the low ball offer.  I am thinking it would take 4 figures.

I'd say Jags after how good they were last season, i'd also say the 49ers because of the Jimmy G hype but injuries have killed there season

I definitely have to say both the Eagles and Jags are the most disappointing teams of this season. Honestly, Blake Bortles is done in Jacksonville. He’s steadily killing the team with his play (the defense isn’t helping either, but with the way the offense is playing, it has a ripple effect). The Eagles on the other hand I don’t know what’s happening with them. They were so hot last season and now it’s like they forgot how to execute at all. They’re sorely missing their OC from last season and it’s been showing all season long. I’ll actually be happy if they missed the playoffs this season. Get healthy and come back better. 

10 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Is there a team more disappointing than the Eagles?

They're certainly up there, since their roster has only improved from the end of last year. I'd put the Falcons on there, though, after the performance they put up today. Don't forget -- they were one play away from knocking Philly out of the playoffs last year. Both of those teams have too much talent to be squandering at 4-5.

Dallas made things really interesting with a win tonight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djb5f said:

Is there a team more disappointing than the Eagles?  Jags may get honorable mention.

Both of those, and throw in a good dose of the Falcons as well...

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

They're certainly up there, since their roster has only improved from the end of last year. I'd put the Falcons on there, though, after the performance they put up today.

Well, I'm just plagiarizing everyone. But that's fine. because those three teams have really disappointed.

Edited by starcrunch061

13 hours ago, acasser said:

I wish the Jets were playing a road game today so that somebody could push Todd Bowles off the post-game flight, preferably at 30,000 feet.  But that's just me.

As for his getting fired?  I think it'll be after the season unless the backup owner wants to fire him this week.  Because the General Manager doesn't have the power to fire Bowles with the way the Jets' hierarchy is at present.

The players haven't given up.  They just have a passive, lackluster coach and very little talent.

I'm surprised the Jets wilted vs. the Bills. When the Vikes played the Jets, they looked pretty good and were competitive, but kept shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties, dropped passes, mental mistakes, etc. Darnold looked shaky in that game, but he was getting quite a bit of pressure by the D-line rush and I think the blitzing schemes confused him. I figured he'd bounce back.

But the Bills loss looks like the team regressed. A QB right off the street torched them. I'm surprised it went south that quickly for a team showing some competitiveness a few weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Conker said:

That's a significant blow to the Rams bc he was their go-to guy for underneath routes. Seems like he was always catching passes on third downs. 

48 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

That's a significant blow to the Rams bc he was their go-to guy for underneath routes. Seems like he was always catching passes on third downs. 

Call it wishful thinking but I don't like the Rams' chances to make it all the way to the Superbowl.  They're still very inexperienced in the playoffs and have been just eeking out a lot of wins.  Their defense isn't great at all, aside from Donald, and they could have to play at least 2 teams (3 if Seattle back doors their way in) that have been there and done that in Carolina and New Orleans.  And if NO gets home field, oof.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

Thats a big loss for the Rams.

We've fired our DC Teryl Austin. No surprise there since his defence was comfortably breaking bad records left, right and centre. Marvin Lewis calling defensive plays the rest of the season, definitely good news there too.

Horrible to hear what happened to Kupp and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Saints ended up going with Brandon Marshall after the Dez injury. Good signing.

52 minutes ago, christhedog3 said:

We've fired our DC Teryl Austin. No surprise there since his defence was comfortably breaking bad records left, right and centre. Marvin Lewis calling defensive plays the rest of the season, definitely good news there too.

You've got a dangerous squad and I feel Marvin is a good coach. Some say they need to start thinking about moving on from Lewis, but I tend to think one more solid draft could get them deep into the postseason.

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

Saints ended up going with Brandon Marshall after the Dez injury. Good signing.

Hope Marshall works out better for you guys than he did with Seattle, seemed like he was dropping everything Wilson was throwing to him.

Edited by skidmarkgn

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Well, the Bills steamrolling the Jets was less surprising than the Bills steamrolling the Vikings in Minnesota!

I was at US Bank stadium for that one and it's a pretty easy explanation - Kirk Cousins kept getting strip-sacked deep in Vikings' territory and the Bills were up 17-0 before the Vikes even got a first down.

Josh Allen also played the best game of his young career - he's quite mobile and evidently the Vikes didn't notice that on tape because he tore the D up on QB scrambles. Which makes me worried for Sunday because Trubisky is also a QB who can scramble around and get easy rushing yards. 

But yes, the Vikes had no business losing that game and hopefully, it won't haunt them come Week 17 when the Wild Card slots are up for grabs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Hope Marshall works out better for you guys than he did with Seattle, seemed like he was dropping everything Wilson was throwing to him.

Wilson ain't Brees my guy. He'll put the ball in a spot where Brandon can catch it. I doubt he sees much playing time though unless he's brought up to speed quickly, and even then he'll likely be used in red zone situations. 

Same could be said of Dez dropping balls thrown by Dak really. He was never known for his sure hands, though after Romo left I noticed his production tapered off and dropped passes became more common. Could be a matter of rapport, or poor QB play, or simple regression of skills. 

38 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Wilson ain't Brees my guy. He'll put the ball in a spot where Brandon can catch it. I doubt he sees much playing time though unless he's brought up to speed quickly, and even then he'll likely be used in red zone situations. 

Same could be said of Dez dropping balls thrown by Dak really. He was never known for his sure hands, though after Romo left I noticed his production tapered off and dropped passes became more common. Could be a matter of rapport, or poor QB play, or simple regression of skills. 

Romo was the master of the back shoulder fade which Dez thrives on.  Dez does not get much separation but he can beat his defender in one on one situations, jump balls and back shoulder fades.  Dak and Dez certainly never developed that chemistry or trust.  

And Dak plays much more conservatively than Romo so less apt to try and squeeze it in.

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

Wilson ain't Brees my guy. He'll put the ball in a spot where Brandon can catch it.

Brees he definitely is not but the throws Marshall was dropping (at an alarming rate after the first couple of weeks) weren't on the QB, they were hitting him right in the hands and chest and he was just plain dropping them.  Like I said though, I genuinely hope it was just a cold stretch and he adds a legit 3rd down/red zone target.

29 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Well, in a interesting turn of events: former Browns HC Hue Jackson is going back to becoming the Bengals OC. Plus they play each other in 2 weeks. 

Gregg Williams on the sidelines:

tenor.gif

23 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Brees he definitely is not but the throws Marshall was dropping (at an alarming rate after the first couple of weeks) weren't on the QB, they were hitting him right in the hands and chest and he was just plain dropping them.  Like I said though, I genuinely hope it was just a cold stretch and he adds a legit 3rd down/red zone target.

I think he will. Don't think they would have signed him otherwise, but if he bombs it -- the signing -- could reek of desperation in hindsight.