National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, Conker said:

Well Monday night football was a fun one, and Eli can shut the doubters for a week with a clutch game winning drive 

A clutch game against a team almost as bad as the Giants are certainly won't keep the naysayers away since they'll just claim he barely squeezed it in against a bad team.

Eli is facing retirement, he may not like it, but it's there in his face. He can choose to go out with dignity or be remembered for trying to hold on too long when he was clearly done. He'll be going to Canton off 18-1 alone so he might as well just get out before he even manages to snuff that possibility out

Edited by majob

My Week 11 2018-19 NFL Tips

Seahawks over Packers

Cowboys over Falcons

Ravens over Bengals

Panthers over Lions

Colts over Titans

Giants over Bucs

Steelers over Jags

Texans over Redskins

Chargers over Broncos

Cardinals over Raiders

Saints over Eagles

Vikings over Bears

Rams over Chiefs

this week has so many tough games to pick, should hopefully make for a great round of NFL

14 hours ago, Conker said:

My Week 11 2018-19 NFL Tips

Seahawks over Packers

Cowboys over Falcons

Ravens over Bengals

Panthers over Lions

Colts over Titans

Giants over Bucs

Steelers over Jags

Texans over Redskins

Chargers over Broncos

Cardinals over Raiders

Saints over Eagles

Vikings over Bears

Rams over Chiefs

this week has so many tough games to pick, should hopefully make for a great round of NFL

I got to get behind the Bears. They're a bit underrated imo.

I know McCarthy (spelling?) has been getting heat for being too safe over the years and I'm not sure that 4th and 2 punt is gonna help.  Right call or wrong call?  I'm a go for it type of guy, just like going for 2 to win it instead of playing for overtime so I hated it (actually I loved it because I'm a Seattle fan).  Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I know McCarthy (spelling?) has been getting heat for being too safe over the years and I'm not sure that 4th and 2 punt is gonna help.  Right call or wrong call?  I'm a go for it type of guy, just like going for 2 to win it instead of playing for overtime so I hated it (actually I loved it because I'm a Seattle fan).  Thoughts?

Depends if you trust your defense or offense more. When you have Rodgers, it seems foolish to punt the ball. In that situation, even if you fail to convert, you could try to hold the Seahawks to a field goal and still have a chance for a TD to win it. Given that Russell is arguably just as dangerous in the fourth quarter as Rodgers, I don't think there's a good justification for punting.

As a Vikings fan, though, I'm glad they played it safe.

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

Standing by my previous statement that the Packers will miss the playoffs.

I have to agree with that too and i feel that if they do McCarthy will be fired, since ya know it's not like Green Bay to miss playoffs in back to back years often and as most will say they Have Aaron Rodgers and with him they should regularly be in playoffs and higher 

I wouldn't count the Packers out just yet. If the Vikings beat the Bears and then lose at home to the Packers, it only puts them one game behind in the NFC North (with the tiebreaker over Minnesota). On the other hand, if the Bears beat the Vikings, that sets up what essentially might be a must-win game (for both clubs) in GB/MIN next week. Win that and GB doesn't exactly have a scary schedule going forward, with one win over the Bears already.

I'd love to bury them in mid-November, but Rodgers has pulled this crap off before. And even though I believe Minnesota and Chicago are better teams, they have yet to beat somebody with a winning record. That's not comforting.

McCarthy should've been fired years ago, in my opinion. The Packers should NEVER miss the playoffs, unless Rodgers is in a cast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

If that happens do you think they'll keep McCarthy?

I honestly think he’s gone by the end of the season. It’s long overdue that they bring in a more aggressive HC. And they should’ve went for it on 4th and 2. The way the Packers we’re moving the ball (especially through the air) they could’ve picked up that and more. I think McCarthy doesn’t trust his defense and that alone did them in. 

On 11/13/2018 at 1:17 AM, Conker said:

Well Monday night football was a fun one, and Eli can shut the doubters for a week with a clutch game winning drive 

But this has been the problem with Eli for years. You get clutch drives out of him every now and again, but you pay the price with the more-common, truly awful gameplay.

I'm always a few days behind in this thread. See you again on...Wednesday!

8 hours ago, majob said:

The Packer's defense is terrible though and still haven't fully recovered from the tyranny of Dom Capers so it wasn't exactly a bad decision.

Are you're talking about the 4th and 2 punt?  If so wouldn't a bad defense be all the more reason to go for it?  Or are you referring to something else?

Edited by skidmarkgn

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

McCarthy should've been fired years ago, in my opinion. The Packers should NEVER miss the playoffs, unless Rodgers is in a cast.

Didn't Green Bay change General Managers in the last year or so?  If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if Mike McCarthy were fired, playoffs or no, because the new guy always wants to bring in his own coach and net get tied to his predecessor's choice.

I also wouldn't be shocked if McCarthy promptly landed on his feet, were Green Bay to cut him loose.  Lots of teams with young QBs will look at him to develop their guy -- e.g., Cleveland and the Jets -- so he probably won't be out of work long unless he wants to be.

13 hours ago, acasser said:

Didn't Green Bay change General Managers in the last year or so?  If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if Mike McCarthy were fired, playoffs or no, because the new guy always wants to bring in his own coach and net get tied to his predecessor's choice.

I also wouldn't be shocked if McCarthy promptly landed on his feet, were Green Bay to cut him loose.  Lots of teams with young QBs will look at him to develop their guy -- e.g., Cleveland and the Jets -- so he probably won't be out of work long unless he wants to be.

I honestly wouldn’t want him in Cleveland. McCarthy’s lost his edge for the past few years. Before he would be aggressive with his play calling, but now it’s predictable. 

9 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

I honestly wouldn’t want him in Cleveland. McCarthy’s lost his edge for the past few years. Before he would be aggressive with his play calling, but now it’s predictable. 

I wouldn't really want Mike McCarthy with the Jets, either.  Sure, he'd probably do some good for Sam Darnold, but the Jets already have a chickenshit coach who has seldom met a 4th down he can't wait to call out the kicking team for.

• Like 1