National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Alright *puts homer hat on* if Pete doesn't snag coach of the year this year (which I already know he won't after the Bears' season) then it's never gonna happen.  I understand not taking it in the glory days because of the team he was trotting out there was so unbelievably talented that anything less than what they did would have been a colossal disappointment.  This year however, he lost superstar after superstar on defense, he rebuilt the offensive coaching staff and turned the team from the worst running game in the league to the best in the span of a year and in the preseason "experts" all over were predicting a 4-5 win season.  Fast forward to today and he's got them on the cusp of double digit wins with a playoff spot already clinched.  Honestly, he deserves at least one COTY honor under his belt for his time spent with Seattle and this should be the year.

Really? I would have thought he'd won it Russel Wilson's rookie year... COTY normally goes to the team that turns it around from the previous year or are the "surprise" team of the NFL. Personally, I'd give it to Nagy, but I would have Carrol in easily the top 5, maybe top even 3. I'm sure John Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Sean Peyton, Sean McVay, and Anthony Lynn will all get some looks as well towards the honor, but personally I'd put Pete Carrol at 2nd or 3rd depending on how this final week shakes up. He has definitely earned his way into the conversation with how they've looked down the stretch.

• Like 1

My Week 17 2018-19 NFL Tips

Falcons over Bucs

Dolphins over Bills

Cowboys over Giants

Packers over Lions

Patriots over Jets

Saints over Panthers 

Texans over Jags

Vikings over Bears

Steelers over Bengals

Ravens over Browns

Chargers over Broncos

Chiefs over Raiders

Rams over 49ers

Eagles over Redskins

Seahawks over Cardinals

Colts over Titans

Alright, where are they gonna be next year?

-Earl Thomas - most people say the Cowboys but I'm wondering if maybe the Chiefs will take a long hard look at an immediate, major upgrade to that defense.

-Mike McCarthy -  Would have initially said the Browns but who knows with their current success under the interim.

-Le'Veon Bell - most say the Jets, I guess we'll see. 

A perfect way for the Packers season to end being shutout 31-0 at home

Carolina win a game finally against a not trying Saints, but with Atlanta's last second win the Falcons finish 2nd in NFC South

The Bills send Kyle Williams out a winner demolishing the Dolphins 42-14

Texans win AFC South, Patriots clinch 1st round bye

Love them or loathe them, the playoffs are always more fun with the Cowboys in them.  3rd Division title in last 5 years.

Hell of a finish with the halfway-trying Cowboys beating the Giants.  Lots of excitement for a borderline meaningless game.

...I hope the Eagles destroy you, Bears. ?

Well, it was a disappointing season, but not too unexpected. Like I've been saying for the past, I dunno, EIGHT YEARS, get an O-line. I will always be critical of Cousins because of his ridiculous salary, but I can't pin the whole season on him. He may be a bonehead, but he's our bonehead. Let's get him some protection.

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Did I hear Foles got hurt?

He looked okay, but then he went into the tent with a hand injury. Not sure how bad it is, but they didn't bring him back into the game.

EDIT: Actually, it was a chest injury.

Edited by Cassylvania

Kirk Cousins yet again doesn't turn up in another big game, very much like the week 17 game a few years back against the Giants. Congrats to the Eagles on claiming the last spot in the NFC destroying a weakened Redskins.

Rams,Chiefs lock up there 1st round byes with easy wins 

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

#1 in the AFC. Now may the ghosts of playoffs past stay far, far away.

As awful as the Chiefs D is I might be more worried about their lackluster running game. You can't be one-dimensional in the playoffs. I'm really hoping Spencer Ware is 100% by then. He is no Hunt but they really need him.

Starting to feel better about the Cowboys chances against the Seahawks.  Looked awful against the 49ers and now again vs. the Cardinals.  They are a different team on the road.

EDIT - Whoops, this game is in Seattle?  Oh my...

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Starting to feel better about the Cowboys chances against the Seahawks.  Looked awful against the 49ers and now again vs. the Cardinals.  They are a different team on the road.

Divisional games are always different (Cowboys went through pretty much the same thing today against the Giants), and the Cards are playing like it's their superbowl.  This game's down to Seattle not playing their best 2 O-lineman (6 sacks as a result) and special teams.  The Cards have put hands on 3 punts, and had one 40+ yard return.

Edited by skidmarkgn

High drama in Baltimore right now.

And memo to Jim Nantz, with how bad the Browns have been, I am sure Steelers fans have rooted for them to beat the Ravens quite a bit of late.  Regularly.  But not at these stakes.

7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Divisional games are always different (Cowboys went through pretty much the same thing today against the Giants), and the Cards are playing like it's their superbowl.  This game's down to Seattle not playing their best 2 O-lineman (6 sacks as a result) and special teams.  The Cards have put hands on 3 punts, and had one 40+ yard return.

Agree, Cowboys were in similar spot (but on the road).  Missing a couple of OL starters and Elliott.

It has looked like Dallas and Seattle would match up as 4 vs. 5 for about a month now,  so when I say I feel better, I mean instead of a 40% shot for the ‘Boys, now a 50-50 contest or slightly better.

Bye Bye Pittsburgh.