National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Anyone think Lewis will coach again? and what you think of him endorsing Hue Jackson ,maybe as the next head coach? 

I'd like to think that Marvin Lewis is done as a Head Coach given his crappy resume, but he's only 60 and could get another chance -- particularly from a team that's worried about the Rooney Rule and public perception.  His skin color shouldn't matter, but it does to far too many teams.

As for endorsing Hue Jackson?  Again, I think the Rooney Rule could play here.... but I'm not inclined to take seriously a guy who had zero playoff wins in nearly two decades giving a thumbs-up for a guy who coached for nearly three seasons and averaged something like one win per 16 games.  Neither the guy who was a spectacular failure in "money" games, nor the guy who was a spectacular failure, period.

But from what I've read, Hue Jackson has a chance because Cincinnati may want to stay "in house".  But that's an issue for their ownership.

18 hours ago, acasser said:

I'd like to think that Marvin Lewis is done as a Head Coach given his crappy resume, but he's only 60 and could get another chance -- particularly from a team that's worried about the Rooney Rule and public perception.  His skin color shouldn't matter, but it does to far too many teams.

As for endorsing Hue Jackson?  Again, I think the Rooney Rule could play here.... but I'm not inclined to take seriously a guy who had zero playoff wins in nearly two decades giving a thumbs-up for a guy who coached for nearly three seasons and averaged something like one win per 16 games.  Neither the guy who was a spectacular failure in "money" games, nor the guy who was a spectacular failure, period.

But from what I've read, Hue Jackson has a chance because Cincinnati may want to stay "in house".  But that's an issue for their ownership.

Hue went 0-16, he's not getting a new HC gig that quick, Rooney Rule or not. Lewis has nearly 20 years of mediocrity on his resume, he's not getting anything past coordinator or position coach. Most teams only pay lip service to the Rooney Rule anyway (Gruden) and it's only became an issue lately because of certain "events"

I will add one more thing on Hue Jackson, we know he was bad in Cleveland, but we forget in one season in Oakland he did go 8-8 and then was stupidly fired, so its not like he hasn't had success. so if he does get the Bengals job it'll be interesting which Hue Jackson they get.

Edited by Conker

3 hours ago, Conker said:

I will add one more thing on Hue Jackson, we know he was bad in Cleveland, but we forget in one season in Oakland he did go 8-8 and then was stupidly fired, so its not like he hasn't had success. so if he does get the Bengals job it'll be interesting which Hue Jackson they get.

I wouldn’t call 8-8 success but agree it was a quick hook.

His Cleveland results were beyond disastrous.  They started winning and looking a lot better once he got canned.  And to make matters worse, the players including Mayfield are openly happy he is gone.  

If the Bengals hire him, they can officially change their name back to the Bungles.

OK, here are my predictions for the entire post-season.

The Eagles march into Chicago and overwhelm the Bears, 20-13, in an ugly game that features three turnovers per team. Dallas puts up a good fight against the Seahawks, but Russell Wilson is simply too clutch in the fourth quarter, putting Seattle up (and staying up) by two scores. The Ravens get Chargers'd by finding themselves in a situation where victory is all but assured...and then screwing it up. Meanwhile, the Texans have the quietest victory of the weekend, as the Colts forgot to get on the plane.

Next weekend, the Seahawks continue their playoff dominance by thrashing the Rams in a point-heavy affair, and the Eagles/Saints game becomes the stuff of legend, with the Saints eking out a victory of 33-32. The Chargers/Chiefs game is surprisingly low-scoring, but KC pulls out a win, while the Patriots rout the the Texans because, come on, they're the Patriots.

That sets up a playoff rematch of the Seahawks/Saints, but this time the Seahawks don't win by playing the underdog card. In fact, they don't win at all. The Saints naturally play the Patriots in the Super Bowl, as the entire country screams foul in KC/NE, and the NFL makes bank on a Brees/Brady showdown.

Brees wins, Brady refuses to retire, and the Patriots miss the playoffs next year. DUN DUN DUNNN.

I hope I'm wrong about everything.

My Wild Card predictions

Texans over Colts

Cowboys over Seahawks 

Ravens over Chargers

Bears over Eagles

those my picks, though i wouldn't be surprised to see them all go the opposite way xD. I just hope the 1st week f playoffs are great and start the post-season in the right way 

12 hours ago, TheLakota said:

By not great you mean won't be competitive with Kansas, or simply not compelling? Figuring the latter, but Internet and all. 

There's a 3rd option you didn't mention.  "Not great" might mean that every team presents a legit challenge instead of there being a weak or inured team to pick on for an easy win.

13 hours ago, TheLakota said:

By not great you mean won't be competitive with Kansas, or simply not compelling? Figuring the latter, but Internet and all. 

Chiefs are 2-4 against all playoff teams they faced in the regular season so no mathchup is really ideal for them

56 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

There's a 3rd option you didn't mention.  "Not great" might mean that every team presents a legit challenge instead of there being a weak or inured team to pick on for an easy win.

This pretty much. Since the Chiefs are pretty much cursed in the playoffs (even the most diehard Chiefs fan likely wouldn't argue with that), I'm not sure who would give us our best shot. I remember VERY well what happened the last time the Chiefs played the Colts in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Eh, I wanted to ask that but didn't want to come off as a dick. 

I personally think every playoff team matches up quite well with KC. 

17 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Good thing the Cowboys/Seahawks game is in Dallas.  No chance for the Seahawks to put in slicked up balls before the game-winning FG attempt!

Well Dallas has Walt Anderson in Jerry World, so I figure it that evens it out. 

2 hours ago, Splathew said:

If I had to pick who to play as a Chiefs fan I would probably lean towards the Ravens. It would still be a tough game but I feel they would have a harder time keeping up in a shootout than Rivers or Luck.

Problem is if Baltimore shuts Patrick down early and gets at least a ten point lead, they know the pass is coming and will be ready to defend. Mahomes, like any QB, can be forced into making mistakes if he has to play catch-up facing relentless pressure on dropbacks. 

I think this year's playoff will be extremely exciting across both conferences. 

14 hours ago, TheLakota said:

Problem is if Baltimore shuts Patrick down early and gets at least a ten point lead, they know the pass is coming and will be ready to defend. Mahomes, like any QB, can be forced into making mistakes if he has to play catch-up facing relentless pressure on dropbacks. 

I think this year's playoff will be extremely exciting across both conferences. 

Agree. In the KC games I watched, Mahomes got rattled when blitzed. Also, it's obvious they miss Kareem Hunt as he was a dual-threat out of the backfield. With their current crew of backs, who is in gives away the offensive scheme they are running. Some can run but can't catch, and vice versa. 

I do wish the Chiefs well though. They are the Vikings AFC brethren, with typically good teams vying for a playoff spot, and occasionally great teams that suffer a gut-punching playoff loss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cassylvania said:

Eh, they earned the right to be there. The Colts are just a better team overall.

KC fans can't be liking this.

It's not the first and probably won't be the last time an under performing team gets a playoff spot by virtue of the rules and scheduling. Texans schedule was pretty soft and their win differential  on average was by a single score.

4 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Don't be silly. They had a great record during the season but are just being outplayed right now. 

A great record doesn't always reveal a team's strength. Not trying to be too harsh on the Texans but the way I see it, their spot would have been better filled by the Steelers.

12 minutes ago, majob said:

A great record doesn't always reveal a team's strength. Not trying to be too harsh on the Texans but the way I see it, their spot would have been better filled by the Steelers.

Why? The Texans did what they were supposed to do -- they won their division. The Steelers did not. Even if the Steelers made better use of the chances they got (instead of the relying on the Browns to help them out), they'd be taking the spot of the Colts, not the Texans, and this could be a completely different game.

I know the Texans are getting outplayed right now, but a bad match-up does not translate to a bad team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Why? The Texans did what they were supposed to do -- they won their division. The Steelers did not. Even if the Steelers made better use of the chances they got (instead of the relying on the Browns to help them out), they'd be taking the spot of the Colts, not the Texans, and this could be a completely different game.

I know the Texans are getting outplayed right now, but a bad match-up does not translate to a bad team.

I know the Steelers wouldn't have matched with the Colts in that case but my point was that bad teams have been slipping into the playoffs for years. 2014 when the Panthers won the NFC South by virtue of being the least worst team shows the flaws of the playoff system. It works for the most part but we do have undeserving teams making the post season