National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

7 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Typical response. Did you even read the link I offered you, or are you content in being ignorant?

I cut you some slack over your FANdom of the Saints (i.e. not being to see anything related to them objectively) but now you are acting a fool.

28 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Jesus Christ, why are you even taking it there? I never implied nor outright stated Brady isn't the most accomplished quarterback. He is. He's not, however, the best statistically (which has always been my issue with "Brady GOAT" fans). 

So who's your GOAT? Brees? Based on what criteria? I base mine on accomplishments, which is Brady. Obviously, @majob is doing the same thing. You don't have to like the criteria but it is what it is, and many people use it. I think that's where the disconnect is between the Brady GOAT "fans" (I actually don't like Brady AT ALL as a Colt's fan) and everyone else and why no one ever agrees on it. 

I even said that you could make a point for him, and yet, you just get angry because I don't agree with you on something that is 100% a personal opinion. It's not like you can't have a different opinion. This is like arguing what the best flavor of ice cream is.

Lakota called Brady just the checkdown king of dink and dunk.  Brady has won in so many ways with so many different players coming and going.  I am no Pats/Brady fan (Patriots fatigue) but it takes a special kind of hate to mock Brady.

The fact that they keep winning without a real deep threat is a credit to him!  When he had Randy Moss still in his prime, you better believe he launched it.  

Sometimes these forums have the lowest common denominator.  

• Like 1

It was unconscionable that a flag wasn't thrown on that PI...however Payton lucked out that that horrific no-call is the focus. His decision not to run on first down there and even risk there being that much time on the clock, with potential timeouts for the Rams was as idiotic as Pete Carroll passing instead of feeding the rock to Marshawn in the Super Bowl. Payton has probably the best RB tandem in the league and the clock was their biggest enemy at the time. Run it three times...maybe you pick up the 1st down...but at worst the Rams have 40 seconds and no time outs to try and tie it. The Rams could have still tied it, but I thought that was just a horrible call at that time of the game. 

I was hoping for a Saints-Pats Super Bowl or a Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl...would have been the oldest combined starting QB's or the youngest starting combined QB's in NFL history.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Incorrect. I got defensive because you implied I said something I neither implicit nor explicitly stated. 

I said it depended on how you define GOAT. The only thing I implied was your pick for Brees and that you were a nut case if you are basing GOAT on accomplishments. I never implied that this was the criteria you used though.

Anyways, if it means anything, I'll be rooting for the Rams because I don't like having the same team win it over and over. I'll take the feel good story over dynasty talk any day. I'm sure others feel the Patriot burnout as well (accept actual Pats fans).

3 hours ago, Conker said:

Interesting article could after yesterday’s horrific miss cal get Al Riveron fired? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/will-rams-saints-debacle-bring-down-al-riveron/

if he does i wonder if they could somehow get Dean Blandino from FOX and in a job that I believe he would do well in

If it gets Al Riveron fired, that's an overreaction to a public relations blunder and not because Riveron did something wrong.  Because, really, what was Riveron supposed to do that was within the rules as they are currently written (and not the rules as we might wish them to be)?  And if Riveron gets fired over this particular debacle, why would Dean Blandino give up the cushy booth job to inherit this mess short of the NFL making a massive overpayment above and beyond what Fox is paying him?  Which is what the attached article pretty much says would be what it took.  (I know I wouldn't want to take that blood money for the privilege of being put in the cross-hairs and blamed for every screwup.)

Yes, the officiating fouled up.  But there would be just as loud an outcry -- just from a different corner -- if the League Office stepped up in that spot and said "that's Pass Interference, go back and throw that flag" using the replay process.  Because even if it should be in the rules right now, it's not in the rules right now.  And if you go back and seriously impact the outcome of a game of this magnitude by going outside the current rules and framework, there will be protests and the like from now until the end of time about the League playing favorites and trying to determine outcomes.

It's a stupid rule.  But right now, it's a rule, and it was properly adjudicated according to how it is written in the rulebook.

The solution is to change the rule.  It's a shame for the Saints if this is why they don't get to the Super Bowl, but the ire should be directed at the referee who didn't throw the Pass Interference flag and not at the suits in the League Office or the Replay Room who -- according to the rules as they are presently written -- cannot and should not overturn the non-call.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Briste said:

It was unconscionable that a flag wasn't thrown on that PI...however Payton lucked out that that horrific no-call is the focus. His decision not to run on first down there and even risk there being that much time on the clock, with potential timeouts for the Rams was as idiotic as Pete Carroll passing instead of feeding the rock to Marshawn in the Super Bowl. Payton has probably the best RB tandem in the league and the clock was their biggest enemy at the time. Run it three times...maybe you pick up the 1st down...but at worst the Rams have 40 seconds and no time outs to try and tie it. The Rams could have still tied it, but I thought that was just a horrible call at that time of the game. 

Exactly.  

The "no-call" will get Payton off the hook for terrible game management. The clock was at 1:58 on first down.  They kicked the FG at 1:41. Payton called two passing plays on that final stretch (both incomplete) preserving time and a timeout for the Rams.

I honestly thought the Saints were vulnerable after the first quarter, where EVERYTHING went their way, and they only managed to accrue a 13-0 lead.  They just couldn't provide the knockout blow with three prime opportunities on a short field.  Their play was similar to the Philly game, where they just weren't operating at 100% for some reason.

- In the other game, how do you slow a Mahomes offense? Don't let them touch the field.  Moat telling game stat was Time of Possession,  43:59/20:53 in NE's favor.  

And one more thing, KC better do it next year because Mahomes hits the free agency market in 2020 (gasp!)!

Edited by PerryToxteth

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

And one more thing, KC better do it next year because Mahomes hits the free agency market in 2020 (gasp!)!

I think we all know that Patrick Mahomes will never hit Free Agency in 2020 barring something ground-shaking happening.

But @skidmarkgn among others can give us chapter and verse about how much harder it is to build a really good, mostly complete team once your starting QB progresses out of his rookie contract and has to be paid a wage commensurate to his abilities and in line with what other good quarterbacks make in this League.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

I hope not, typically a very subjective call.  Welcome 4.5 hour games!

The fact that's it's subjective is why it needs to be reviewable because many refs tend to be incompetent to blind when it comes to properly calling one and then you have some qbs  like Rodgers and Flacco who like to do a deep throw to a well covered receiver to try and draw a PI flag

32 minutes ago, majob said:

The fact that's it's subjective is why it needs to be reviewable because many refs tend to be incompetent to blind when it comes to properly calling one and then you have some qbs  like Rodgers and Flacco who like to do a deep throw to a well covered receiver to try and draw a PI flag

The amount of controversy it would open would be over the top.  It will never happen.  It is a judgment call.  In the Chiefs/Pats game alone, there looked like a lot of defensive holding/PI not called in the 4th Q alone (on both teams but mostly the Chiefs).  We stop the game to review those and we still would not have a clear understanding whether it warrants a flag or not.

I think too many PI calls are made as it is, but that’s another story.

The Rams probably get a TD the drive before if the face mask on Goff is called.  Would have been 1st and goal at the 1 and a half.  That gets reviewed too?  It is too much.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I wonder if the rule on PI not being reviewable will change now.

You know who's going to have a say in whether or not this changes?  Sean Payton, because he's on the Competition Committee.  But he probably hopes people don't pay a whole lot of attention to that, because then he'd have to shoulder some secondary blame for the fiasco and how it hurt his team.

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

I hope not, typically a very subjective call.  Welcome 4.5 hour games!

If they make this change, I hope it's a really, really high standard to overturn the call on the field.  Like "blatantly obvious" high.  Because having the replay office in New York reviewing this call and making a judgment is every bit as subjective as having the back judge do it, or a couple of referees chattering away in a mini-huddle doing it, et cetera.  It's a different set of arbitrary values and thoughts, but it's still subjective.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

The amount of controversy it would open would be over the top.  It will never happen.  It is a judgment call.  In the Chiefs/Pats game alone, there looked like a lot of defensive holding/PI not called in the 4th Q alone (on both teams but mostly the Chiefs).  We stop the game to review those and we still would not have a clear understanding whether it warrants a flag or not.

Make the PI calls, and only the PI calls, challengable instead of auto reviewing them.  Two challenges still per team so the coaches would have to be smart on which calls they do or don't challenge.

Well, I'm jumping into this late.......I'm still pissed because that horrible non call cost me some serious cash. Worst playoff call since the Don Dekinger call of game 6 world series 1985.

I know the focus in this forum was on the pass interference, but what about the obvious helmet to helmet contact, AND on a defenseless player? The helmet to helmet contact is not a judgement call....it either happened or it didn't. This play could have been reviewed in ten seconds.

Hockey has a system where Toronto-central can buzz the local officials if they notice something egregious. Surely the NFL can come up with a similar system.   

GOOD GOD get the call right!     ?  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Well, I'm jumping into this late.......I'm still pissed because that horrible non call cost me some serious cash. Worst playoff call since the Don Dekinger call of game 6 world series 1985.

I know the focus in this forum was on the pass interference, but what about the obvious helmet to helmet contact, AND on a defenseless player? The helmet to helmet contact is not a judgement call....it either happened or it didn't. This play could have been reviewed in ten seconds.

Hockey has a system where Toronto-central can buzz the local officials if they notice something egregious. Surely the NFL can come up with a similar system.   

GOOD GOD get the call right!     1f621.png  

You are absolutely right. I see the NFL putting into place a targeting review, much like the NCAA, before they do something about pass interference. 

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

but what about the obvious helmet to helmet contact, AND on a defenseless player? The helmet to helmet contact is not a judgement call....it either happened or it didn't. This play could have been reviewed in ten seconds.

GOOD GOD get the call right!     ?  

Funny you mention that, about 10 or 15 minutes after the game started I posted something here about the helmet to helmet hit a Rams player committed that also got ignored.  It was the one where afterwards the Saints player was forced (by the same officials that chose not to make the call mind you) off the field because of how shaky he was while getting up, because... you know... he just got blasted in the head.

Saw an article stating that Mahomes could be the first $200M NFL contract?

I feel bad for the Chief's fanbase because if he gets that much money he's going to have to steal Barry Allen's power so he can throw to himself, or hope that the people coming on for lesser money take the Clifford Franklin approach to catching a ball.