National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

57 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I do and don't regret not watching.  When the season started, I kind of saw it coming and thought to myself "ugh, Pats / LA is the worst Superbowl possible, now watch it happen", then it did. 

I do regret not watching because of the obvious reason you mentioned.

I don't because when it comes to the Pats,  I've had enough.  And it's not hate, it's fatigue (actually, being a baseball fan as well it's just Boston fatigue now).  I'm so freaking sick of watching everything go their way year after year.  Hell, Brady's entire legacy basically started with a bunk call going his way then it just snowballed (see what I did there).  Over the past 5 years If you look at how many times the Patriots have benefited big from the opposing team either making unbelievably stupid decisions (hello Seattle and Atlanta) or being ref-raped in high-profile, important games... the list is staggering.

With the Rams however, it's hate.  Plain and simple.  They're division rivals who have always been a thorn in the Seahawks' side, at least during this Carroll/Wilson era where things have actually been good.  Not too mention I can't stand when teams try to buy championships (which admittedly is more of a baseball thing) and it seemed like every time there was a high profile free agent out there before the year started, the Rams went out and bought 'em.  On the plus side though, this was kind of their "do or die" season and there's no way they're (man this rant is a good test of correct there, their, and they're usage) keeping a roster that's that stacked in the future, especially with a Goff contract in the near future.

Oh, I certainly understand. I was so freaking sick of watching the Niners reign over the NFL as a kid. I picked the Bengals over SF in 1981 at the elementary school lunch table and have been holding a grudge ever since. But, looking back, I can certainly respect, and even admire the 80s dominance that Montana/Rice/Craig/Clark/ Taylor had. 

Red Sox are a slightly different story because they had a debilitating curse to overcome. Game 6 1986 is forever etched into memory ( though I liked both teams. Doc Gooden was one of my first sports crushes). It's tough to gripe away at the Evil Empire when the BoSox spend just as much. Yes, baseball really is Moneyball.

Anyone in here been watching any of the AAF league and if so what are your thoughts on the opening games?

Personally i have enjoyed them and some players so far have showed some good promise, the rules exclusieve to it have been interesting to watch

9 hours ago, Conker said:

Anyone in here been watching any of the AAF league and if so what are your thoughts on the opening games?

Personally i have enjoyed them and some players so far have showed some good promise, the rules exclusieve to it have been interesting to watch

I heard the ratings for the first game were good but I missed it. I watched a bit of last night's game but my brother wanted to watch basketball so I switched over. It did seem ok though. 

10 hours ago, Conker said:

I managed to tune in to three of the four games but didnt watch more than a half of any of them. Reminds me of the other leagues of the past (USFL, WLAF, XFL) where quality QB play is lacking for half the teams.  Of course, each team is brand new so it'll take a few games to find a comfort level.

Positives - quicker play clock, less TV timeouts. Not many penalties, though they have an "illegal defense" penalty. What is this, the NBA??? From what I could gather, I think you can only rush five defenders at the QB. 

Negatives - too much audio. Coaches, refs are miked, as well as replay officials (Which proves the theory, they really don't know what the hell they are doing in the booth).  Problem was that random audio would leak in and it was a big distraction. 

Sup-par announcers. Maurice Jones-Drew is terrible, stop talking about plays from your NFL career.

-It also proved Christian Hackenberg had NO business being employed by an NFL team. 

Will I tune in again? I certainly won't change my itinerary to watch any of the games but I'll probably catch a half here and there. If you watch, most exciting team was Arizona Hotshots with a dual-threat QB from Wake Forest. Most boring team was Memphis Express or San Diego Fleet. 

54 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Fucking disgraceful. Woman beaters have no place in the NFL. Too bad they don't seem to give a damn.

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to label Hunt a woman beater. He committed assault and battery; the victim is a female. That doesn't absolve Kareem of pushing her down and kicking her, nor does it mean he's a woman beater (it also doesn't mean I'm defending his actions or am somehow complicit in his terrible behavior, so let's nip that in the bud before it even gets to that point please).

Want to see how the media manipulates bylines to push their narrative? Look no further:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.barstoolsports.com/boston/kareem-hunt-was-caught-on-video-beating-and-kicking-a-woman-and-it-is-brutal

He "beat" her and it was "brutal"? Holy over-exaggerating Batman. He roughly pushed down a drunken female and half-heartedly kicked her.

Know what's missing in the video? Audio and context. 

Want to see a brutal beatdown of a female? Google Ray Rice. Google Greg Hardy, who coincidentally is now fighting MMA and throwing illegal knees against downed opponents. 

Do I think Kareem deserves a second chance? That's not for me to decide.

Does watching the NFL somehow make me complicit? No (not that I'll watch anyway).

Can people redeem themselves? Yes. 

Will Kareem Hunt? Time will tell.

My question to you: do you draw the line at striking a female? If so, why?

Is taking banned substances okay with you, be it performance enhancers or recreational in nature?

How about fathering children out of wedlock and then proceeding to have the girl murdered a la Rae Carruth?

Violent, unsportsmanlike behavior on the field, e.g. Suh, Burfict, Romanowski, Finnegan, etc.?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to label Hunt a woman beater. He committed assault and battery; the victim is a female. That doesn't absolve Kareem of pushing her down and kicking her, nor does it mean he's a woman beater (it also doesn't mean I'm defending his actions or am somehow complicit in his terrible behavior, so let's nip that in the bud before it even gets to that point please).

Want to see how the media manipulates bylines to push their narrative? Look no further:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.barstoolsports.com/boston/kareem-hunt-was-caught-on-video-beating-and-kicking-a-woman-and-it-is-brutal

He "beat" her and it was "brutal"? Holy over-exaggerating Batman. He roughly pushed down a drunken female and half-heartedly kicked her.

Know what's missing in the video? Audio and context. 

Want to see a brutal beatdown of a female? Google Ray Rice. Google Greg Hardy, who coincidentally is now fighting MMA and throwing illegal knees against downed opponents. 

Do I think Kareem deserves a second chance? That's not for me to decide.

Does watching the NFL somehow make me complicit? No (not that I'll watch anyway).

Can people redeem themselves? Yes. 

Will Kareem Hunt? Time will tell.

My question to you: do you draw the line at striking a female? If so, why?

Is taking banned substances okay with you, be it performance enhancers or recreational in nature?

How about fathering children out of wedlock and then proceeding to have the girl murdered a la Rae Carruth?

Violent, unsportsmanlike behavior on the field, e.g. Suh, Burfict, Romanowski, Finnegan, etc.?

Fair enough, but regardless of who started it, doesn’t make what he did right.

Also, seen lots of comments how the Browns have a new kicker now.

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

*snip*

Excellent take. 

You forgot about Ray Lewis. He may or may not have murdered two people.  God and Ray will have a serious talk at the pearly gates about the truth, but his lawyers were miracle workers none the less. 

Yet that didn't stop him from becoming a member of the Hall of Fame. 

11 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I managed to tune in to three of the four games but didnt watch more than a half of any of them. Reminds me of the other leagues of the past (USFL, WLAF, XFL) where quality QB play is lacking for half the teams.  Of course, each team is brand new so it'll take a few games to find a comfort level.

Positives - quicker play clock, less TV timeouts. Not many penalties, though they have an "illegal defense" penalty. What is this, the NBA??? From what I could gather, I think you can only rush five defenders at the QB. 

Negatives - too much audio. Coaches, refs are miked, as well as replay officials (Which proves the theory, they really don't know what the hell they are doing in the booth).  Problem was that random audio would leak in and it was a big distraction. 

Sup-par announcers. Maurice Jones-Drew is terrible, stop talking about plays from your NFL career.

-It also proved Christian Hackenberg had NO business being employed by an NFL team. 

Will I tune in again? I certainly won't change my itinerary to watch any of the games but I'll probably catch a half here and there. If you watch, most exciting team was Arizona Hotshots with a dual-threat QB from Wake Forest. Most boring team was Memphis Express or San Diego Fleet. 

yeah the illegal defense penalty is silly, though i think they trying to avoid injuries and obviously have qbs playing there best.

yeah MJD was average xD whilst i did like Marvin Lewis in the booth.

I liked all the players and coaches mic'd up, replay official not s lot, they really dont say much

And unless Hackenberg shows something in the rest of these games, he indeed will never be in the NFL again, Jets showing us why he never got on the field xD 

On 2/11/2019 at 11:18 PM, Conker said:

And unless Hackenberg shows something in the rest of these games, he indeed will never be in the NFL again, Jets showing us why he never got on the field xD 

Todd Bowles was never the right coach for a rebuilding project, which is what the Jets became about halfway into his second season on the job.  Christian Hackenberg was terrible and probably never should have been drafted as high as he was, but Bowles adamantly refused to play him under any circumstances.  Bowles always was "living in the now" and trying to win every individual game in front of him as opposed to taking the longer view and Hackenberg would have been badly overmatched by NFL defenses -- even though the Jets tried to hand Hackenberg the starter's job during Training Camp the season before last -- but there were times where Hackenberg could have gotten onto the field in mop-up duty or the last few weeks of a season and Bowles simply wouldn't put him out there.

Or a lot of other young players, for that matter.

2 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Baltimore trades Joe Flacco to the Denver Broncos. Trade won’t be made official until March 13th. 

I'm shocked that Baltimore found a taker.  I don't understand how a team would give up an asset for that contract, even though it's fully un-guaranteed from this stage forward.

I suppose that it shows what the prices would be to trade up for a young guy in the 1st round.  Which makes me happy, because the Jets might be able to sell off the 3rd overall pick to one of those desperate teams and accumulate themselves some assets.

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid settled their grievances with the NFL. Terms are confidential, but I’m sure both got a nice payday.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/02/15/ex-san-francisco-49ers-colin-kaepernick-and-eric-reid-reach-settlement-with-nfl-in-collusion-grievances/agkdio/

And so goes the revolution and the desire for "social change" or whatever high-falutin' things these protests were supposed to be about.  At the end of the day, it was all about the money.

And about a chickenshit NFL that wouldn't fight this thing through to the end, because they were afraid of what might come out in discovery.  Because what Reid/Kaepernick were trying to prove to an Arbitrator was damned near impossible to prove without a smoking gun that wasn't going to be unearthed, but after all the things they've self-embarassed over they're running scared of what those big, bad wolves in the newsmedia might write about them.

This particular issue might be over and done with, but I suspect we're going to see a whole new wave of protests from other quarters by groups that think they can get their piece of flesh from the NFL.  You'll have the usual suspects protest the NFL and the Cleveland Browns over Kareem Hunt and people beating women, and you'll probably have the usual suspects come out to protest the Washington Redskins name as well.  Because now that the NFL has folded like a wet paper bag, everybody else will figure it's time to get theirs -- money and attention both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acasser said:

And so goes the revolution and the desire for "social change" or whatever high-falutin' things these protests were supposed to be about.  At the end of the day, it was all about the money.

And about a chickenshit NFL that wouldn't fight this thing through to the end, because they were afraid of what might come out in discovery.  Because what Reid/Kaepernick were trying to prove to an Arbitrator was damned near impossible to prove without a smoking gun that wasn't going to be unearthed, but after all the things they've self-embarassed over they're running scared of what those big, bad wolves in the newsmedia might write about them.

This particular issue might be over and done with, but I suspect we're going to see a whole new wave of protests from other quarters by groups that think they can get their piece of flesh from the NFL.  You'll have the usual suspects protest the NFL and the Cleveland Browns over Kareem Hunt and people beating women, and you'll probably have the usual suspects come out to protest the Washington Redskins name as well.  Because now that the NFL has folded like a wet paper bag, everybody else will figure it's time to get theirs -- money and attention both.

Basically, the NFL decided it was better to wash their hands over the matter and be done with it, instead of getting their dirty laundry hung out for everyone to see for months on end.  It would've been tough to prove collusion with all 32 owners against Kaepernick, but I think the NFL was fearful of what else would've been brought to light when investigators went digging.  Owner operations would've been unearthed and they don't want their insider secrets revealed.

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Basically, the NFL decided it was better to wash their hands over the matter and be done with it, instead of getting their dirty laundry hung out for everyone to see for months on end.  It would've been tough to prove collusion with all 32 owners against Kaepernick, but I think the NFL was fearful of what else would've been brought to light when investigators went digging.  Owner operations would've been unearthed and they don't want their insider secrets revealed.

This and it was honestly the smart move. Why waste time and money fighting a lawsuit that will just drag on and bring details you don't want known to light when you can just throw chump change at the problem and watch it disappear. People already don't care much about Kaeprnick and his crusade except for a few die hards now. By next year people will have forgotten entirely

• Like 1

I don't want Seattle to touch Brown with a 10 foot pole, Bell however... can't say I'm not curious to see what he could do as part of a 1-2 punch with Carson.  I know it'd be expensive and Seattle has a Wilson contract to worry about but they're in the top 10 with cap space and have the most run-heavy system in football.  He's gotta be worth a look right?

12 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I don't want Seattle to touch Brown with a 10 foot pole, Bell however... can't say I'm not curious to see what he could do as part of a 1-2 punch with Carson.  I know it'd be expensive and Seattle has a Wilson contract to worry about but they're in the top 10 with cap space and have the most run-heavy system in football.  He's gotta be worth a look right?

Yeah, its worth a look into. Heck, I think he'll fit their offense like a glove.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:39 AM, skidmarkgn said:

Remember Shaun Alexander? The 28 year old Seattle All-Pro running back signed an 8 year $62 million contract extension following his 2005 Super Bowl season. Seattle didn't know it then, but they just used up their cap space for a running back that was used up. (Another example from further back: Jamaal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons).

These are prime examples of what modern teams don't want to do. And that's to tie up cap space on a single player that is not a franchise QB. Seattle's priority is to SIGN WILSON! And keep investing in the offensive line.

3 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Remember Shaun Alexander? The 28 year old Seattle All-Pro running back signed an 8 year $62 million contract extension following his 2005 Super Bowl season. Seattle didn't know it then, but they just used up their cap space for a running back that was used up. (Another example from further back: Jamaal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons).

These are prime examples of what modern teams don't want to do. And that's to tie up cap space on a single player that is not a franchise QB. Seattle's priority is to SIGN WILSON! And keep investing in the offensive line.

Alexander got waaaay too much credit for the '05 season and Seattle pulled a huge boner signing him after that.  When you have Jones and Hutch blocking for you, and infant could have pulled off a thousand yard year.  When they hey screwed the pooch with Hutch and the "poison pill" disaster Alexander was kind of exposed.  Anyways, I didn't say to break the bank and sell the future on Brown, I said take a look.  If he wants some kind of absurd amount, move on.  No biggie.  If he's willing to do some kind of short term "prove it" deal, which doesn't seem too out of the question after taking an entire year off, then who knows. 

If Seattle's off-season consisted of:

-Extending Clark

-Extending Sweezy and Fluker

-Signing Brown to a short term deal

I'd be fine with it, not thrilled, but fine.  They can work on extending Wilson during the  '19 season and if it doesn't work out, tag him for the band aid and figure it out next year.  Honestly though, I have no worries about them being dumb enough to lose Wilson.  

25 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'd be fine with it, not thrilled, but fine.  They can work on extending Wilson during the  '19 season and if it doesn't work out, tag him for the band aid and figure it out next year.  Honestly though, I have no worries about them being dumb enough to lose Wilson.  

I've been seeing articles stating there are rumors about the Seahawks losing Wilson? I'm not up to date on anything other than headlines so what's your take?