National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

9 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

A Duke QB taken as a Top 10 pick in the NFL Draft? Definitely didn't think that would happen in my lifetime. 

My friends and colleagues who are Giants fans are miserable this morning.  They were okay with their team picking a Quarterback in the 1st round, just not that guy.  And most of them preferred the pass rusher at #6 and a QB a little lower down in the round.

But hey.... how bad could it be drafting a Duke QB to play for the Giants?  And maybe they should have picked another QB at 17th or 30th just to be safe?  ?

That was the most underwhelming draft I've seen in a while. I know the talent isn't exact stellar this year but a lot of teams just did genuine head scratchers this year

And of course the Lions draft a TE they could have gotten in the 2nd. S.O.L

14 hours ago, Fat Chocobo said:

that will be interesting to see.

And after the latest Tyreek Hill news, does anyone think his NFL career is over or at least his time in KC? 

2 hours ago, acasser said:

My friends and colleagues who are Giants fans are miserable this morning.  They were okay with their team picking a Quarterback in the 1st round, just not that guy.  And most of them preferred the pass rusher at #6 and a QB a little lower down in the round.

But hey.... how bad could it be drafting a Duke QB to play for the Giants?  And maybe they should have picked another QB at 17th or 30th just to be safe?  1f60e.png

I think everyone in America assumed the same thing.  At 6, you have your choice of all the top D line talent.  And it's highly likely Jones is still there at 17. Hell, he could've even been there for your second-round pick. I've had the misfortune of watching Jones beat my grad school alma mater (UNC), and he's a fine player, but he never appeared to have that WOW factor.

Russell Wilson also torched the Heels annually, and you instantly recognized he had a special talent.  And he was facing quality Heels' defenses which included a number of future pros. He was infuriating to watch from the opponent's perspective, but you could also understand how gifted he was. Too bad for Wolfpack fans that their head coach at the time (Tom O'Brien) didn't fully appreciate that and forced Wilson to transfer. :dance:

Jones could work out fine as a NFL QB, he just didn't serm to look like a Top 10 QB pick.  Then again, Akili Smith looked like a Top 10 QB pick to me, so what do I know? 

1 hour ago, majob said:

That was the most underwhelming draft I've seen in a while. I know the talent isn't exact stellar this year but a lot of teams just did genuine head scratchers this year

I think the talent is there, it's just not sexy with skill positions.  Watching hours of offensive blocking highlights doesn't make for good TV. So I guess that's why ESPN went TMZ on us and showed us that assault by the Miss St. lineman.  :hmm:

2 hours ago, majob said:

Not sure why they didn't pick Oliver. My coworker was furious this morning by the lion's pick.

21 minutes ago, Conker said:

that will be interesting to see.

And after the latest Tyreek Hill news, does anyone think his NFL career is over or at least his time in KC? 

His time is probably done in KC, but somebody will re-sign him. I mean, AP beat his child, never apologized for it, and still has a job. Why not Hill? I haven't read how bad it was, but lots of players have had second chances in the NFL, and he's still young. Somebody will pick him up.

My Colts traded down after staying up late to see who they'd pick. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I was hoping for Medcalf at the 26 or 34 spot, but it looks like we could still get him. Sweat was hard to pass up at 26, but I guess the heart condition scared the colts off. Too early to tell if it was a bad move though to move back. We'll have to see how it works out.

12 hours ago, acasser said:

But hey.... how bad could it be drafting a Duke QB to play for the Giants?  And maybe they should have picked another QB at 17th or 30th just to be safe?  1f60e.png

Forgot to add, thanks for the Dave Brown reference! Took my memory a few seconds to recall who he was. And lo and behold, he was a first round pick!! ( in the Supplemental Draft B))

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Not sure why they didn't pick Oliver. My coworker was furious this morning by the lion's pick.

His time is probably done in KC, but somebody will re-sign him. I mean, AP beat his child, never apologized for it, and still has a job. Why not Hill? I haven't read how bad it was, but lots of players have had second chances in the NFL, and he's still young. Somebody will pick him up.

This incident actually sounds worse than Adrian Peterson's. They are both disgusting, but Tyreek likely broke his son's arm. And the child is only three!! 

Kareem Hunt... Tyreek Hill...Could there be some kind of KC curse? Has to be tough to watch your team get dismantled because of asinine behavior. I feel for Chiefs fans. 

39 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

This incident actually sounds worse than Adrian Peterson's. They are both disgusting, but Tyreek likely broke his son's arm. And the child is only three!! 

Kareem Hunt... Tyreek Hill...Could there be some kind of KC curse? Has to be tough to watch your team get dismantled because of asinine behavior. I feel for Chiefs fans. 

I didn't know about the broken arm until after I posted that. Both are absolutely disgusting. Lots of people who have done terrible things have gotten second chances, but with the views on the decline, this may end up like the Ray Rice incident.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pre-season's right around the corner.  As it stands now (before injuries, trades and jobs won/lost in the pre-season games) The AFC North and NFC West are the 2 divisions that caught my interest the most. 

In the West the Rams have, IMO, slightly downgraded with some of their losses and Gurley's knee issue, the Seahawks should be a little more cohesive offensively because, even though Baldwin's gone, they're going into their 2nd year with the new offensive coordinator and O-line coach, not to mention the addition of Iupati to help (all hail) the run game.  Hopeully the new kicker will repeat last years performance and maybe(?) Ansah can stay healthy.  The 9ers get another chance to play with their new toy and this time maybe their entire roster won't get hurt, and same goes with the Cards.

In the North, there's of course the new-look Browns who everyone's gonna be watching.  I'm curious to see if Mayfield and OBJ can keep it together if things don't go as planned, The Ravens got Earl who's a game-changer when he's on the field... so can he stay on the field?  Steelers of course made some serious cuts to their roster so we'll see who they are which leaves the Bengals, who, I'll admit, I know pretty much nothing about.

The NFC as a whole is pretty nasty and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.  So far, before the inevitable injuries and such throw a monkey-wrench into the season, my favorites to make a deep run:  The Saints, because they have the talent combined with a huge dose of something to prove, The Rams, because they're just a damn good team with a damn good coach.  The Seahawks, because honestly, last year they were *this* close to winning both games against the Rams and taking the division.  This year, I think the improvement in Seattle and (albeit slight) downgrade of the Rams will even things out for at least a split.  

Pretty sure the Panthers and Packers will make a splash too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Pre-season's right around the corner.  As it stands now (before injuries, trades and jobs won/lost in the pre-season games) The AFC North and NFC West are the 2 divisions that caught my interest the most. 

In the West the Rams have, IMO, slightly downgraded with some of their losses and Gurley's knee issue, the Seahawks should be a little more cohesive offensively because, even though Baldwin's gone, they're going into their 2nd year with the new offensive coordinator and O-line coach, not to mention the addition of Iupati to help (all hail) the run game.  Hopeully the new kicker will repeat last years performance and maybe(?) Ansah can stay healthy.  The 9ers get another chance to play with their new toy and this time maybe their entire roster won't get hurt, and same goes with the Cards.

In the North, there's of course the new-look Browns who everyone's gonna be watching.  I'm curious to see if Mayfield and OBJ can keep it together if things don't go as planned, The Ravens got Earl who's a game-changer when he's on the field... so can he stay on the field?  Steelers of course made some serious cuts to their roster so we'll see who they are which leaves the Bengals, who, I'll admit, I know pretty much nothing about.

The NFC as a whole is pretty nasty and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.  So far, before the inevitable injuries and such throw a monkey-wrench into the season, my favorites to make a deep run:  The Saints, because they have the talent combined with a huge dose of something to prove, The Rams, because they're just a damn good team with a damn good coach.  The Seahawks, because honestly, last year they were *this* close to winning both games against the Rams and taking the division.  This year, I think the improvement in Seattle and (albeit slight) downgrade of the Rams will even things out for at least a split.  

Pretty sure the Panthers and Packers will make a splash too.

Hell yeah it is! I’m excited as well. I am looking forward to seeing how the Browns do this season and how the Eagles move forward without Nick Foles. Both are my favorite teams BTW. 

And just like that Seattle takes its first blow, 6 games without Reed. 

I'll admit I've only scraped the info regarding Reed's incident so I might be talking out of my ass but at a glance it doesn't seem much different from what went on with Hill (accusation with no charges filed), who received no punishment at all... or Elliot, who also got six games, followed by the wrath of Jerry.  Consistency isn't really the NFL's strong point is it.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Tom Brady looks eerily young in tonight's pre-season game. :S 

Maybe it's just me? 

No it's not, I felt chills when I looked at him man, it was a little discomforting. Guy is 41 and looks like he's in his late 20s.

8 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Don't forget a broken leg to fuck up the whole season for a Detroit Lion. :facepalm:

Jermaine Kearse. They lost three players total and the season hasn't even started yet. First pick here they come! I knew the season was going to be bad but I didn't think it would be that bad. The Lions have absolutely no depth whatsoever and the offensive line is still trash and their schedule is extremely tough. It's never easy being a Lions fan but this is looking like an especially bad year.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Don't forget a broken leg to fuck up the whole season for a Detroit Lion. :facepalm:

I'll always have a soft spot for Kearse, dude was front and center on a lot of clutch plays for Seattle (if they had won the SB against the Pats in 2014 the biggest thing people would have been talking about was that insane catch he had to put them in the red-zone in the first place, sadly though, it has been all but forgotten through no fault of his own)) and it really breaks my heart to see him go down like that.