National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

6 minutes ago, monkeydluffy512 said:

My Dolphins are garbage ? .

At the beginning of the season I made plans to watch next week's game with my uncles who are Cowboys fans. At least now I know how much beer to bring to suffer through it. 

One coach who spoke to the Dolphins about their head coaching job in January said Dolphin's owner Stephen Ross conveyed that their intent was not to win this year and the whole objective was to be positioned to draft their future quarterback in 2020 and build around that player.

The Dolphins are setting a new standard of excellence in achieving their organizational goal. (Sarcasm intended). Frankly, I have absolutely no confidence that they could develop a franchise quarterback. Moreover, tanking is simply making a practice of losing and establishing a losing culture that poisons any chance for future success.

Instead of beer, tequila shots might be more in order!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Saints really should have had that TD. Damn shame that since players were still playing the ruling couldn't have been to just give it to them.

3rd game in a row with a offciating error hurting the Saints, this can't keep happening 

2 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Saints really should have had that TD. Damn shame that since players were still playing the ruling couldn't have been to just give it to them.

Yes, but they also missed the hands to the face-mask on Goff on that same play.  So Saints probably fortunate to get no penalty and the turnover.

Go Saints though and the gold pants look sharp, better than the black on black.

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Vikings just lost a touchdown on a BOOTH review, for offensive pass interference. And the foul, which was questionable, was away from the ball. I knew PI could be challenged, but it's now reviewable on all scoring plays? And not even involving the scorer???

They can review everything.  EVERYTHING.  The Jets went through this last week against the Bills, where it seemed like a scoring review took fifty-four minutes before they finally found an excuse to actually overturn the Jets touchdown.  It didn't matter -- the Jets scored a TD and the two-point conversion a few plays later -- but it was obnoxious.  I understand wanting to get the calls right, but there need to be bounds on these replays, ESPECIALLY the booth-intitiated and automatic ones.  Time limits, for starters.  Maybe some limits on what they can look at, too.

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Yeah, the whole review system of a subjective call just seems shady.  And that it can happen on all scoring plays?  Terrible.  Reminds me of when they bungled the whole “completing the catch” nonsense which only resulted in no one knowing what was a catch or not anymore.  Thank goodness, they scrapped that.

Apparantly, the aim is "getting the call right".  No matter what.  Perfection is required, and to hell with things like the flow of the game.

I vastly prefer the days when the referees were allowed to do their jobs and expected to do their jobs and that was the end of that.  Even if the Jets managed to win a game because the head referee mis-took Vinny Testaverde's helmet for the football after the quarterback was tackled on a 4th-and-goal scramble.  Short of the goal line, save for the helmet.

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Welp Jags go for 2 and leasd,fail lose 13-12 to the Texans

As I've said in numerous other spots higher up in this thread, kudos to the Jaguars.  Better to go for it in that spot and fail than to meekly kick the extra point and hope to hold on and win in OT.  You're probably no better than 50/50 to win the game in OT, assuming you don't blow it in the final 30 seconds of regulation.  But one short-yardage play is a pretty fair bet, especially if you have momentum on your side.  And every team has a couple of gadgets in their playbook for that spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

Yes, but they also missed the hands to the face-mask on Goff on that same play.  So Saints probably fortunate to get no penalty and the turnover.

There's missing a penalty and there's actively making a dumb decision, the refs just made a dumb decision.  There was absolutely no reason to blow the whistle on that play.

4 minutes ago, Conker said:

3rd game in a row with a offciating error hurting the Saints, this can't keep happening 

Hopefully this stops for them today. I wouldn't fault their fanbase for railing against the NFL over this stuff.

2 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I didn't see it either. Probably got lost in the confusion of what was happening.

Just now, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I didn't see it either. Probably got lost in the confusion of what was happening.

Exactly, penalties are missed all the time and I think most of us are conditioned to accept it.  That fumble though, the Saints player was already 15-ish yards into what was going to be an obvious touchdown and the "trained" official decided to blow the play dead instead of letting the reviews (score AND turnover) confirm or deny the play.  That's a huge difference.

9 minutes ago, acasser said:

As I've said in numerous other spots higher up in this thread, kudos to the Jaguars.  Better to go for it in that spot and fail than to meekly kick the extra point and hope to hold on and win in OT.  You're probably no better than 50/50 to win the game in OT, assuming you don't blow it in the final 30 seconds of regulation.  But one short-yardage play is a pretty fair bet, especially if you have momentum on your side.  And every team has a couple of gadgets in their playbook for that spot.

I believe it is at the 2.5 yard line, definitely not at the 1 so punching it in, not as easy.  That stated, I agree to go for it is a good call.  Successful 2 point conversions are a little under 50% BUT since they moved the kicking extra point back, nowhere as automatic as it used to be.

7 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious and definitely on all the replays they showed but Buck and Aikman did not mention it, would have not fit with the screw job conspiracy notion they are fueling!

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious and definitely on all the replays they showed but Buck and Aikman did not mention it, would have not fit with the screw job conspiracy notion they are fueling!

Not paying attention to them much either lol. I glance at the game to see the play...play out...and then I get back to the game I'm playing. Even the NFL can't stop the grind. -_- 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, djb5f said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see another bizarre, horrible call go against the Saints in this game. BOHICA! (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Vikings just lost a touchdown on a BOOTH review, for offensive pass interference. And the foul, which was questionable, was away from the ball. I knew PI could be challenged, but it's now reviewable on all scoring plays? And not even involving the scorer???

That was bullshit. If they can call it on a scoring play, then they should call it on a turnover, because there was defensive PI on the Packers' interception (something that actually DID affect the play). Better yet, don't call it at all. This is just adding more human bias to the game.

It doesn't take away the fact that Cousins is hurting this team. I don't hate him, but he's too erratic to be a franchise quarterback.

• Like 1

My colts hold on to a win against the Titans, and Jacoby Brissett looked good. The running game is respectable and our O-line is looking solid.

I thought we were gonna get killed last week and lose this week so I'm going to try and be a little more optimistic about our chances in the next few weeks. I think Brissett is serviceable, but I'm still not convinced he can go out and get us a W. At least, he couldn't a couple of years ago.

The only thing that's looked really bad though is Vinny, which is a shame for a future HoF. I'm starting to wonder if the Colts are going to start practicing some other guys... I'd hate to see him go out like this.

On a side note, I'm getting crushed in my FF teams. Kirk Cousins and DJ getting hurt + Chris Carson fumbling all over the place really killed me in one. My Dhop/Cousins and my opponent going off hurt me in my other.